Quote from: mickO))) on October 10, 2019, 08:18:57 PM
Anyone know about Sinha Stout or Lion Stout I think is what it's called in Europe? It's from Sri Lanka it's best drink I have ever had.

Is it available in Ireland?

I think the Abbot Ale House in Cork used to have bottles of that stuff back in the days before they got rid of the off-license. Christ knows what you'd find in there some days.

Be cafeful with SE Asian beers like Sinha, Singha, Chang, Tsing Tao, Snow, Asahi etc. - they contain adjuncts like rice, corn and so on in place of malted barley that can lead to banging hangovers and/or puking.

Thanks I am lucky in the way I don't really get hangovers. I have been drinking stuff for about a year and have no issues the next day after even 10 bottles. Guinness foreign extra was always my favourite drink but this stuff is even better it's one of the few alcoholic drinks I really enjoy the taste of.

Quote from: StoutAndAle on October 11, 2019, 10:33:07 AM
Anyone know about Sinha Stout or Lion Stout I think is what it's called in Europe? It's from Sri Lanka it's best drink I have ever had.

Be cafeful with SE Asian beers like Sinha, Singha, Chang, Tsing Tao, Snow, Asahi etc. - they contain adjuncts like rice, corn and so on in place of malted barley that can lead to banging hangovers and/or puking.

Didn't realise that. I'm a big fan of Asahi. Probably wouldn't drink enough of them at a time to induce puking though. Wouldn't notice the difference in hangover either. I die regardless.

Quote from: Grim Reality on September 09, 2019, 09:35:53 PM
Locally, Athlone has a great new option in Dead Centre, though its very hop focused.

Dead Centre isn't bad but I find it a bit soulless at times. Too bright in there or something. Surprisingly enough, The Shack has a fairly ok beer selection and is a class spot for winter boozing. Malt House has a good selection too but they always have some shit band playing far too loud. More often than not it's full of scummy looking hen parties too. It would be a much better spot for drinking if every pub didn't insist on 'live entertainment'.

On the booze front, Lidl have been unreal the last few months for beer selection. Some steampunk looking Imperial stout at 8.5%, four 500ml cans for 6e. Class deal. Their crafty range is still going strong too. That brown ale of theirs is savage. They often have the 6 pack sampler of Belgian beers too (gulden draak, piraat) from time to time.

Quote from: StoutAndAle on October 11, 2019, 10:33:07 AM

I think the Abbot Ale House in Cork used to have bottles of that stuff back in the days before they got rid of the off-license. Christ knows what you'd find in there some days.

Asahi and Super Bock are the two worst offenders for this. If it's warm you can actually taste the corn syrup!

Quote from: Slaughterday on October 11, 2019, 04:34:44 PM
Quote from: Grim Reality on September 09, 2019, 09:35:53 PM
Locally, Athlone has a great new option in Dead Centre, though its very hop focused.

On the booze front, Lidl have been unreal the last few months for beer selection. Some steampunk looking Imperial stout at 8.5%, four 500ml cans for 6e. Class deal. Their crafty range is still going strong too. That brown ale of theirs is savage. They often have the 6 pack sampler of Belgian beers too (gulden draak, piraat) from time to time.

Not often enough! Savage pack, good value

I recently discovered Nine Monks. It's like an Irish Buckfast. It's tasty, and only €9.
Deep Down Six Feet, Is Where I Like To Eat

Quote from: livingabortion on February 15, 2020, 05:20:16 AM
I recently discovered Nine Monks. It's like an Irish Buckfast. It's tasty, and only €9.
I seen that the other day. "Warning, high caffeine content"  :laugh:
Is it worth buying? I can get Buckfast for the same price just over the border.

It has more caffiene than buckfast. I drank a bottle of it last year. Didn't like it. Never drank it again cos I can get bucky cheaper over the border.

Like a bit of stout, but the one I pick up whenever I see it is Galway Bay Buried At Sea .... severe smoky indulgence. Never a smoker, but I dig a smoky milk stout.

Quote from: Nail_Bombed on February 16, 2020, 02:20:45 PM
Like a bit of stout, but the one I pick up whenever I see it is Galway Bay Buried At Sea .... severe smoky indulgence. Never a smoker, but I dig a smoky milk stout.

I used to be a big fan of Buried At Sea myself. Hadn't had it in ages but cans of it cropped in Bradley's last week so I bought a few. They've changed the recipe since I had it last, not for the better in my humble opinion. Stuck with a few cans of it now.

If you like milk stout then I highly recommend Third Circle's Needs More Cowbell served cool but not cold. Brewed in Dublin. Currently on offer in a lot of places at 4 for €10. And at 6.5% - a lovely winter warmer.

Do Lidl to do any beers like Paulaner?,those kinda cloudy beers?

They do but I couldn't tell you what it's called.

Quote from: Paul keohane on April 22, 2020, 11:30:39 PM
Do Lidl to do any beers like Paulaner?,those kinda cloudy beers?
Patronus Wheat Beer 5.5%

Perlenbacher Weissbier 5%

Franziskaner Wheat Beer 5.0%

I can recommend them all for taste and they're all under €1.50 for 500ml as far as I remember.
Well, the Franziskaner is if it's on multi buy offer....

4x Gulden Draak 9000 for a tenner in lidl, and the 6x Belgian beer sampler for 15 quid. I predict a weekend of yeasty farts ahead.