Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on March 28, 2021, 04:38:40 PM
Best brand for the absolute basics, in this case a spirit level? The worst reviews always seem to be the only ones where the person reviewing knows what they're talking about, but unfortunately they rarely propose a better option.
The basic light weight Stabila

Quote from: Pagan Waltar on March 29, 2021, 07:00:38 AM
Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on March 28, 2021, 04:38:40 PM
Best brand for the absolute basics, in this case a spirit level? The worst reviews always seem to be the only ones where the person reviewing knows what they're talking about, but unfortunately they rarely propose a better option.
The basic light weight Stabila

Yeah, a bog standard Stabila will be a good quality level - I have one of their 81s torpedo levels in my toolbox always.

Others to consider would be Holex - the red one is the most basic level that I own, no bells and whistles but it is bang on accurate and very cost effective.

I have an Empire level in my toolroom here in work - cost a fair whack of money, the Holex one is as good as it (for basic levelling). 

Avoid Stanley's cheaper ones, DeWalt (or any powertool brand offering them). Draper make some that are very good and others that are a Monday morning job. And obviously anything from Aldi/Lidl.

Ha, it was actually reading shocking buyer reviews of Stanley ones that gave me the idea to ask in here! Thanks lads.

I'm going to putting up a she shed for the missus over the next few months, I'll be doing all the work myself bar the electrics. Im thinking about getting a framing nail gun to make things a bit easier and quicker for putting the 4x2 frames together and attaching the osb but at the same time Im not sure if its overkill for 1 project, anyone on here have one? I was looking at the paslodes..pricey as fook but they seem to be the benchmark?

I rented a paslode nail gun a few months back to do some fencing. About £50 for the weekend. Worked out well and a heck of a lot cheaper than buying for a single job or even two. Cracking piece of kit!

Quote from: 101_North on June 06, 2021, 06:44:42 PM
I rented a paslode nail gun a few months back to do some fencing. About £50 for the weekend. Worked out well and a heck of a lot cheaper than buying for a single job or even two. Cracking piece of kit!

Yep you may  well be right..if I can align some decent weather with a rental it would be the most economic way to go!

I've been looking at one of these for a while now for doing intricate designs, lettering etc These are more of a hobbyist model but there's no point in jumping in at the deep end on a more expensive machine I think?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mostics-Upgrade-Machine-Engraving-Emergency/dp/B0956TJFH5/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=cnc&qid=1629805231&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExM09RUUlZNUZRUDAyJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjgzODM2MldIV0ZWMDBMOTg0JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAwOTc1NjExTVpOQks1SjBQUkJaJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Does anyone have one these (not necessarily the model above)  and if so how do you find it?

Jaysus that's a quare expensive bit of kit man, would ya have the work for it like, or will it end up collecting sawdust at the back of the shed after the initial flurry of excited experimentation wears off? ( I have a few sawdust collectors meself at the back of my own shed)
I don't have one of them anyway and I don't know anyone with one so sorry now but I'm no use to ya.
Personally, the odd bit of carving I'd be at, I do rough out freehand with a router and a small bit and then tidy up with chisels.

Quote from: son of the Morrigan on August 24, 2021, 09:47:52 PM
Jaysus that's a quare expensive bit of kit man, would ya have the work for it like, or will it end up collecting sawdust at the back of the shed after the initial flurry of excited experimentation wears off? ( I have a few sawdust collectors meself at the back of my own shed)
I don't have one of them anyway and I don't know anyone with one so sorry now but I'm no use to ya.
Personally, the odd bit of carving I'd be at, I do rough out freehand with a router and a small bit and then tidy up with chisels.

It may well end up collecting dust but it could be interesting as well. I plan on using it for doing inlays on boxes...names...shapes etc...