I've had a Parkside router from new in a box for a year now 40euro I think it cost. I decided that I need a router table so over the weekend I made a basic mdf box, perspex router plate, drilled and fitted the parkside router with a new BOSCH router bit, started it up, only to see the router bit wobble and vibrate like fuck, turned everything off. There is a wobble of 1.5-2mm as the router collet spins, tested the bit on my BOSCH router, not a wobble in sight. Tested other bits in the Parkside, same wobble and dangerous as fuck. I cant find the receipt for the router so the bin it is...

I see table saws have shot through the roof price wise as well, the dewalts especially...

Ah Christ, that's cuntishly annoying, fucking Parkside strike again.
I'm sure ya took the collet off fully, Its not just that it's cross-threaded like?

Yep, it looks like the price of our beloved tools will be going up, I wouldn't mind but we've been getting ripped off all along for tools anyway.

Lads I own a hardware shop and sell DeWalt and Makita, if ye're stuck for anything let me know, or advice on prices, I've no interest in making money on ye so everything at cost plus post.

Jesus thats very decent of ya man. Thanks a million for the offer, fair play to ya.
Is there any truth in what my friend was told about the price of importing tools, from 2,000 to 12,500 for a container? It seems fucking outlandish.

Yes that's correct, plus there is a DIY boom all over the world so demand is mental.

Quote from: son of the Morrigan on March 01, 2021, 06:42:38 PM
Ah Christ, that's cuntishly annoying, fucking Parkside strike again.
I'm sure ya took the collet off fully, Its not just that it's cross-threaded like?

Yep, it looks like the price of our beloved tools will be going up, I wouldn't mind but we've been getting ripped off all along for tools anyway.

Nope no cross thread, just wonky while spinning, I have to say of all the tools I use I find the router the most dangerous by far in the hands... that's why I was making the router table to make things a bit more stable, I could buy one but I had the router/mdf/perspex there etc etc. I may try again with the Bosch router.

Non budget tools are expensive alright, I usually find that with budget tools if you use them within their limits they can do a job, the biggest balls for me so far has been the Evolution table saw, good price and features but you're constantly tweaking it to keep things square, that's if you can get it square at all in the first place, and I can't make a table sled for it because the mitre gauge slots aren't parallel. But fuck that Parkside router..that's just dangerous...

Where are people getting their timber at a decent price for just hobby level stuff? Most places online won't deliver for under a certain price and local places here are dependent. I'm in Cork btw.

Quote from: Don Gately on March 01, 2021, 08:20:29 PM
Lads I own a hardware shop and sell DeWalt and Makita, if ye're stuck for anything let me know, or advice on prices, I've no interest in making money on ye so everything at cost plus post.

Thanks a million! There's always something on the list!!!

Quote from: CorkonianHunger on March 01, 2021, 10:59:27 PM
Where are people getting their timber at a decent price for just hobby level stuff? Most places online won't deliver for under a certain price and local places here are dependent. I'm in Cork btw.

A very good question...I'm stuck with my local builders yard here for your bog standard stuff and they deliver for free which is handy, but for more "exotic" woods I'm reliant on other people throwing out stuff that I can source although its mostly teak from old doors and windows which I find not great for working with. I'd love to get some walnut or cherry but wouldn't have a clue where to source...

McMahons maybe for hardwooods

Any recommendations for good quality lathes for a beginner? Father in law is looking to pick one up, he's pretty handy with wood as it is and makes a lot of his own stuff, but never used a lathe before so not sure what make to look for, what functions to go with, that sort of thing

I will be selling some hand tools on Adverts this weekend if anyone is interested.

Quote from: Trev on March 04, 2021, 08:34:15 PM
Any recommendations for good quality lathes for a beginner? Father in law is looking to pick one up, he's pretty handy with wood as it is and makes a lot of his own stuff, but never used a lathe before so not sure what make to look for, what functions to go with, that sort of thing

Proxxon stuff is good for the hobbyist. Your lathe will only be as good as your workpiece and the back-end tooling though.

https://www.proxxon.com/en/micromot/precision-lathe-and-milling-systems.php

1/4" Socketed Chisel
1 1/4" Socketed Chisel
Norton Sharpening Stone
Steel Backed Tenon Saw
Brass Backed Tenon Saw

I have these for sale on Adverts but can't share my profile link.
More items to follow in the coming days.

Best brand for the absolute basics, in this case a spirit level? The worst reviews always seem to be the only ones where the person reviewing knows what they're talking about, but unfortunately they rarely propose a better option.