All them lads were big metal heads but of course punk/post punk was massive aswell and those along with a variety of cultural/musical influences led Grunge to spawn itself. Dave Grohl regularly harps on about metal bands. AIC, like Pantera, were a glam metal band, they toured together with King's X which was a hugely important band that sits right there in the middle of metal and the Soundgarden/AIC/Pearl Jam sound. You'll find pics of Jerry Cantrell with Dig Pinnick from King's X fairly handy. (A great, great listen is Lars interviewing Billy Corgan. It's on youtube. 2 absolute fanboys talking about their influences etc).

So Pantera had them lads (King's X) on one side and the likes of fellow Texans Watchtower on the other hand feeding into what they were doing, indeed Jason McMaster auditioned to join Pantera at one stage. That's what I enjoy about Americans and American music..the openness. While genres are important, you'll find people just listen to music because they like it and not because they're meant to. I could be way off on this but I always thought Grunge was to the US what Black metal was to Europe. It was like the natural next step for kids growing up on hair metal and Mercyful Fate to either turn it completely on its head and splash a lot of colourful paint on it, fuse it and take the best parts of it and add it to other stuff you've heard(Grunge) or use it as the template for a far more serious, deeper and more detailed invstigation, drawing on traditon to create something even far more profound (BM). My own personal way of looking at things..could be miles off.

Yeah,  well every genre is some sort of response to what came before.

When Corgan described seeing Metallica on the Ride the Lightning tour in this interview the hairs on the back of my literally stood up. A great listen

http://www.alternativenation.net/billy-corgan-bloody-metallica-show-scare/

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on January 17, 2021, 07:46:53 PM
Never knew about that Corgan/Mercyful Fate thing. Siamese Dream is the only album of theirs I'd listen to in full, Soma (Kev will be glad to hear) being one of my favourite rock songs of all time.

Anyway, Soundgarden, yeah, class. I must give Down On The Upside another go. I had it on CD way back in the day, but almost never put it on. Probably one of those things where it didn't click on first listen, and being young and obsessed with loads of other albums I was bingeing on, it just slipped into a region where I didn't know it and unthinkingly presumed that was because I didn't like it. Folly of youth? Let's find out!

Gish a heavier, more 'metal' album. I'd say you'd get far more out of it.

Quote from: Pedrito on January 17, 2021, 08:26:38 PM
Dave Grohl regularly harps on about metal bands.

Yeah, reminded me of his Probot album.

https://youtu.be/17bOAXnJIjg

Those Lars interviews were fantastic.
Probot was a great little project.

#21 January 18, 2021, 08:49:26 AM Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 08:56:57 AM by Don Gately
Probot was a great album.

I think Soundgardens best was Down on the Upside also. The first 6 or so songs are fantastic. I listened to Superunknown to death when it came out so a bit reluctant to revisit it. Saying that Fresh Tendrils is awesome.

Quote from: Pedrito on January 17, 2021, 08:33:59 PM
Gish a heavier, more 'metal' album. I'd say you'd get far more out of it.

I might give it another go. I got absolutely sick of them over the period of a few years playing in a band with a drummer whose favourite band they were, sick of everything except Siamese Dream.

I have it on now, and I realize literally know every single drum beat by heart, even on songs that for all intents and purposes otherwise sound like I'm hearing them for the first time  :laugh:

Covers used be something interesting back 20+ years ago. Nowadays even the mention of a cover is enough to make me want to nuke stuff.

Winery Dogs doing Cochise with Tom Morello.
Kotzen sounds very like Cornell himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB5_TtbYpto

Or this one with Morello and Nuno Bettencourt's Soundcheck Band...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FEQBtzufVo

You'd have to wonder was the vocal on Cochise an intentional nod to Zeppelin's 'Whole Lotta Love'...

#28 January 23, 2021, 01:03:24 PM Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 01:05:34 PM by Cosmic_Equilibrium
Quote from: Kurt Cocaine on January 17, 2021, 04:32:35 PM
Quote from: Carnage on January 17, 2021, 04:04:36 PM
All of the previous stuff is decent too, his vocals on Louder Than Love in particular are amazing. Avoid King Animal or whatever it's called like the plague, it's woeful. They really shouldn't have bothered with reforming, also judging from the live material they put out.
Yep, I saw them on tour in 2014 and wondered that too.

Sorry but I can't agree with this. I only managed to see them on their reunion but all three shows I caught were great, and the second one in particular (Brixton Academy) was absolutely fantastic, in my top 10 or 20 gigs easily. The Hyde Park show in 2014 when they just came out and played all of Superunknown was something special too.

Superunknown is an absolute masterpiece. 1994 was a vintage year for rock in general and that album is the best one of that year in a field with some very tough competition. It's genuinely on the same level as all time classics of old like Master of Reality, Meddle, etc.

Aye I saw them after they reformed and they brilliant live.