Bretwaldas have a new EP that arrived this year and it sounds great. I somehow never picked up anything by these lads despite finding them oddly fascinating on the occasions I listened to them. The new stuff maybe sounds a little more refined than the older stuff but is still fairly rough and ready in a Venom, Amebix, The Meads of Asphodel sort of way. CD ordered!

https://bretwaldasofheathendoom.bandcamp.com/album/kingdom-of-killers

Yeah, this is cool.

Vocals really have a Motorhead / Amebix vibe. It's pure rock 'n' roll in parts!

I get what you mean about the Meads of Asphodel connection, they seem to have a very similar aesthetic, wot with de obscure ye olde England-isms in their visual end of the things. That said, they don't sound quite as off-the-wall or BM as that band.   

True,  they don't veer into dance music halfway through a song for example  :laugh:

The similarity remains none the less!

I had the EP on today for the first time in ages and it's so good. Return to the Earth is a ripper. Mid paced NWOBHM with gravelly BM vox. Perfect.

#4 June 30, 2023, 09:08:51 AM Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 02:13:19 AM by Eoin McLove
Summoning the Gatekeepers arrived today. Is it just me or does Twisted Tree sound like 'On Our Spiritual Deathbed' by Primordial? Looking forward to familiarising myself with this album over the coming weeks and months. Anyone else see the gatekeeper in the artwork? Took me a few looks to notice it...

Edit. It was Where Lie the Gods I was thinking of.

Only bought a CD copy so haven't paid much attention to the artwork... had a quick look now and I must need new glasses though.

Been enjoying it so far. 

Squint at it and see if anything jumps out. It also might be me seeing things  8)

There is a greenman or what looks to be a greenman between the two trunks just off centre to the right of the middle but otherwise I am seeing much. 

Yep. The shadows look like a tall figure guarding the forest. I wonder was it a fluke of photography or was it manipulated.