Vocalist changes are usually the worst with a handful of exceptions like Horna and Cannibal Corpse (not better than the original but a worthy replacement) are the first that come to mind.

Then after that is major song writers like say Paul Barker. Rio Grande Blood was great but since that the band has just gone from bad to worse.

#16 November 22, 2020, 09:20:10 PM Last Edit: February 28, 2024, 04:10:59 PM by Shane
 :abbath:

My biggest disappointment over Slayer calling it a day is that their parting shot was that abortion repentless album - I would really have liked an album where Gary Holt contributed. I know most say they should have packed it in after Jeff died but I got to see them live 3 times after that which I was always thankful for.

#18 November 24, 2020, 06:00:24 PM Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 08:34:01 AM by Paul keohane
Quote from: Bogmetaller on November 24, 2020, 05:38:59 PM
My biggest disappointment over Slayer calling it a day is that their parting shot was that abortion repentless album - I would really have liked an album where Gary Holt contributed. I know most say they should have packed it in after Jeff died but I got to see them live 3 times after that which I was always thankful for.
Were they ever going to release something that was going to blow us all away before the called it a day?.All the albums after Seasons have a couple of good tracks but by in large Slayers studio output for the last 25 plus years has been largely filler with a some quality.
Slayer has always been about the live aspect over the last 20 years for me,glad they hung around tbh.

Quote from: Paul keohane on November 24, 2020, 06:00:24 PM
Quote from: Bogmetaller on November 24, 2020, 05:38:59 PM
Were they ever going to release something that was going to blow us all away before the called it a day?.All the albums after Seasons have a couple of good tracks but buy in large Slayers studio output for the last 25 plus years has been largely filler with a some quality.
Slayer has always been about the live aspect over the last 20 years for me,glad they hung around tbh.

You're right but if you take the songs that are quality you have some of the staples of the live set. Disciple, jihad, dittohead are amongst my favourite slayer songs. If they had one more album and only had 3 or 4 songs worth anything with Holt fully involved then we'd know that was it. Part of me feels like it was a missed opportunity tbh. And repentless is such a shite note to end on.

I think Kerry King, Gary Holt, Paul Bostaph and Phil Anselmo are putting something together so you'll kind of get your wish.

South Of Heaven and Seasons In The Abyss are all the Slayer I need but each to their own.

I have to say i do loose interest in bands that are basically a revolving door around 1 member. Megadeth for example.
"The great truth is that there is none"

What of Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow? 8)

There's this Swedish band called Sonic Syndicate that got played on Planet Rock that's a sort of synch pop rock band (or however you would describe it)

https://youtu.be/JhaAGhdtPOc

It turns out they only have one orginal member and he wasn't even a major song writer. When they started they were a much heavier screaming band

https://youtu.be/T9vqjF-Hz-4

Seems a few of the founding members formed another band called The Unguided. But they for some reason legally can't play their own songs they wrote live, and the current line up of sonic syndicate probably don't play them either cause its too drastic a change.

Possibly the strongest case for a band changing their name when too many members leave.