Anyone heard the new album? Any usage? I've been very lax with their recent albums if I'm honest despite them being one of my favourite bands ever.

#1 November 10, 2020, 07:01:05 PM Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 07:02:49 PM by Gibonz
What are some good Fates Warning albums to check out?

Always liked the song Through Different Eyes but dont know anything else.

And I absolutely LOVED his side project Engine. Their self titled from 99 is unreal...

Quote from: Gibonz on November 10, 2020, 07:01:05 PM
What are some good Fates Warning albums to check out?

Always liked the song Through Different Eyes but dont know anything else.

And I absolutely LOVED his side project Engine. Their self titled from 99 is unreal...

If you liked Through Different Eyes you could start with the album it's from Perfect  Symmetry. The masterpiece for me is Parallels though. One of my favourite albums ever.

Perfect Symmetry and Parallels are a great starting point if you are interested in that side of the band. Very slick, catchy, and impeccably played proggy metal. Mark Zonder plays out of his mind on those records and I reckon he is one of the most underrated drummers out there. No Exit, Inside Out, and A Pleasant Shade of Gray are all cool albums too.

I like-love most of the stuff they've put out but the constant lyrical focus on fuckin' feelings song after song after gets rather wearisome. Matheos must be a hardcore navel-gazer. Anyway, I digress.

Can't finish up a post on FW without the obligatory, inevitable, and factual statement: the first three with John Arch are the best.

:laugh: I think it's a case of not being able to change lyrically once you start going down that road and I agree, it gets somewhat monotonous. It's a kind of hangover from Grunge without all the angst that made grunge so good. They have some gems of songs in there though. The albums you mentioned above though will never be far from my speakers..pure quality.