Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on August 15, 2021, 06:00:00 PM
Just got around to watching the Netflix Fyre documentary, a bit late to the show I know. Wondering were there people able to watch it without feeling like the entire thing is a prophetic metaphor for the impending man versus nature collapse of civilization??

I watched that Fyre doc back when it came out. In some ways it was almost like a social experiment.

What if we put these self-absorbed young people on an island รก la "Lord Of The Flies" - will they band together and help each other? No... no... they'll cut up the limited amount of tents and piss on the sleeping bags all around theirs because they don't want people next to them.

That is how selfish we have become.

#61 August 16, 2021, 11:35:43 AM Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 01:15:55 PM by open face surgery
Watched the Woodstock 99 one last week. Horrible. I certainly don't think that Limp Bizkit being Limp Bizkit, the band they booked, are too blame per se but every retard frat boy that was there seemed to be the Limp Bizkit demographic so on the wider scheme of things they are. That in itself is a societal problem of having so many people with dicks for ears. They made my stomach turn. Them, their music and their mongo fans were a form of torture. Then and now.

In relation to the festival, it was very interesting to look at America through the lens of Woodstock 69 and Woodstock 99. I thought that the comparisons to Coachella were unwarranted as the east coast seems to be more relaxed in general but that's a massive generalisation.

Did anyone here see the two Fyre documentaries? Wondering if the Hulu one has anything of genuine, time-worthy interest to add to what was in the Netflix one.

Where are ye watching the Woodstock '99 one, lads?

Nothing happening there, but thanks anyway.

Strange. Just go onto the site and type in woodstock 99.

I'm just getting a 'checking your browser before... etc. page that keeps refreshing. No worries.

#68 August 17, 2021, 08:56:10 AM Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 08:58:01 AM by StoutAndAle
Watched "Enemies Of The State" over the weekend.

It's worth a watch. I would also advise, if you are going to watch it, not to look at much beyond the teaser trailer. Better to go into it without knowing much about the case.

Quote from: StoutAndAle on August 17, 2021, 08:56:10 AM
Watched "Enemies Of The State" over the weekend.

It's worth a watch. I would also advise, if you are going to watch it, not to look at much beyond the teaser trailer. Better to go into it without knowing much about the case.

Just watched it over what turned into an extended lunch break there. This "go in ignorant" advice was excellent, thank you very much. An absolutely wild pyschological ride that gets my recommendation for sure.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on August 17, 2021, 04:22:36 PM
Just watched it over what turned into an extended lunch break there. This "go in ignorant" advice was excellent, thank you very much. An absolutely wild pyschological ride that gets my recommendation for sure.

Good stuff. Glad that you enjoyed it.

Watched "Beats, Rhymes & Life: The Travels of A Tribe Called Quest". A Tribe Called Quest are masters. They came up & excelled in-and-around my favourite era of hip-hop. There's little nuggets of gold to be mined here and, no doubt, director/actor Michael Rappaport is a fan and got some good access, but this film needed a steadier hand to guide it. It's not the documentary ATCQ deserve.

Currently screening on MUBI as part of their "Music & Movies" series.

#71 August 24, 2021, 01:26:53 PM Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 06:08:16 PM by Caomhaoin
I thought this was a fascinating look back at Bush and his nest of scheming vipers priming the press for the Iraq invasion. The bullshit oozes out of them.

Donald Rumsfeld and Dick Cheney...I'd forgotten just what a pair of greasy, smarmy charlatans they were. Blair, in his few appearances, looking back at it now, what an utter invertebrate. Whatever Bush and pals motivations were, at least they had some.

What's totally amazing is that members of the press put it to Rumsfeld on several occasions that the UN said that the Iraqis were doing as they were asked, he just laughed in their faces 'look, we know they have xyz weapons, they dont have the intelligence we are privy too'. Total pish and bollox, but sure who was going to stop them once the decision was made? Fuckers made an absolute mockery of the institution.

Anyway I'll shush, go and have a look.

https://youtu.be/a_cciUzoLwo

Just watched the Phil Lynnot doc. on RTE1 there.
A very enjoyable watch in fairness, nothing new really for a Lizzy or Lynnot fan in it but well worth a watch nonetheless.
Tid bring a tear to a mans eye the way he died, even after all these years, what a fucking waste.

It was decent but yeah, not much new information. No Downey input either, I wonder what that was about.

The Shay Healy one from the mid '90s is probably the best one out there.

I watched Count Me In, a drumming documentary on Netflix. Man, what a ferocious drummer Chad Smith is. He is a phenomenon.