#45 June 23, 2021, 09:09:24 PM Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 05:48:55 PM by Necr0rceN
Not sure if this is mentioned already but there is some good docs on a particular west cork murder. Netflix has a good one coming soon and the Jim Sheridan one so far is good. Some details coming as news to me.

Quote from: livingabortion on June 16, 2021, 06:31:30 PM
I'm watching Classic Action Park.  JESUS CHRIST Eugene Mulvihill was an absolute reprehensible piece of shit. Loads of injuries and even death and Mulvihill tried to make out that a young guy was working there when he got killed when he never worked at the park, and on top of that tried to make out it was the rock he hit his head off was what killed him not any problem with the ride itself. The list of horrendous occurrences goes on and on. The people working at the park were pissed or stoned or both and it basically children in charge of children.

That's available to watch over here?
Action Park was the fucking greatest amusement park ever. Went a few times in the 80s and early 90s. There was always the possibility you could get hurt (and judging by the photos of concrete burn victims they had at the top of the Alpine Slide ride - hurt badly) , probably added to the whole thing.
Good times.

Watched It Might Get Loud there, having never gotten round to it til now. Really entertaining, even if The Edge mainly serves as comic relief. "When I saw Spinal Tap, I didn't laugh, I wept!" has to be one of the most historic quotes of all time  :laugh:

Quote from: Mower Liberation Front on June 25, 2021, 10:39:29 PM
Quote from: livingabortion on June 16, 2021, 06:31:30 PM
I'm watching Classic Action Park.  JESUS CHRIST Eugene Mulvihill was an absolute reprehensible piece of shit. Loads of injuries and even death and Mulvihill tried to make out that a young guy was working there when he got killed when he never worked at the park, and on top of that tried to make out it was the rock he hit his head off was what killed him not any problem with the ride itself. The list of horrendous occurrences goes on and on. The people working at the park were pissed or stoned or both and it basically children in charge of children.

That's available to watch over here?
Action Park was the fucking greatest amusement park ever. Went a few times in the 80s and early 90s. There was always the possibility you could get hurt (and judging by the photos of concrete burn victims they had at the top of the Alpine Slide ride - hurt badly) , probably added to the whole thing.
Good times.

Yeah I found it, online  ;) I don't know if I could say here though.
Deep Down Six Feet, Is Where I Like To Eat

Quote from: Necr0rceN on June 23, 2021, 09:09:24 PM
Not sure if this is mentioned already but there is some good docs on a particular west cork murder. Netflix has a good one coming soon and the Jim Sheridan one so far is good. Some details coming as news to me.

I watched the Sky one over the weekend, it was fairly interesting. Relatively objective, but it left me with the same impression about the accused that I'd had going in. Jim Sheridan's still a bit of a gobshite though.

I can't imagine the Netflix one being any better.

#50 July 07, 2021, 12:57:49 PM Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 07:00:42 PM by Carnage
I started the Moby one (Moby Doc) last night. A load of pretentious, smug toss to be honest. I've read his (first) autobiography, and it was a decent enough read - though the forced self-awareness suggests a complete lack of genuine self-awareness - and so far (55 mins. in) it's skimming over that ground, but so stylised and haughty as to be nearly unwatchable. I'll finish it out of curiosity, but it's not one I'd recommend.

Edit: Just finished it, it gets worse as it progresses. He's so self congratulatory that it's nauseating.

Can't be arsed checking to see whether it's been mentioned previously:

https://youtu.be/GCGMu0fVg5E

Tread - A blow-in snaps under the pressure of smalltown Colorado beaurocracy and Fucks Shit Up. Well worth a watch.

Saw all the episodes of 'how to become a tryrant' on Netflix. Nice easy half hour episodes that are informative and entertaining. Peter dinklage does the narration

Watched another series of mini documentaries called 'explained'. Each episode is about 20 to 25 minutes, interesting and well explained topics without being patronizing. Saw topics on cults, credit cards, the exclamation mark and  one from 2019 about Pandemics and when the next one will hit.

That one about cursing with Nicholas Cage was one of the dumbest, most irritating things I've seen outside of the retards my young lad watches on YouTube. Desperate.

#55 July 28, 2021, 11:39:51 AM Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 02:35:07 AM by Caomhaoin
This is, for me, the greatest documentary ever made.

Culloden, April 1746

https://youtu.be/mkxW-nB0nNU

Utterly uncompromising. A must for anyone with even the most feeling interest in history.

I had no idea where to put this, but I guess here is the best fit.

Watched this tonight, and can recommend the whole thing (maybe skip Hilary Putnam if you're not into philosophy of the deathly boring school), but a small bit that struck me is a powerful deflecting answer Chomsky gives to a question about what are some good info sources, at 1:38:52. Yer man takes a little too long to formulate his question (which has nothing to do with what they were talking about, so you can skip straight to it #nospoilers), but sure look it...

https://youtu.be/LzAgPG2aCx4?t=5932

Watched death by metal last night, very interesting, chuck was a complex character

Just got around to watching the Netflix Fyre documentary, a bit late to the show I know. Wondering were there people able to watch it without feeling like the entire thing is a prophetic metaphor for the impending man versus nature collapse of civilization??

I watched that a while back. It was both hilarious and ridiculous. Hadn't thought of it in those terms tbh but now you mention it..