I am rereading the Silmarillion and I got thinking has any author had as much influence over an entire genre of music and its multiple sub-genres as the great JRR Tolkien? Of course metal's greatest influence is the Good Lord and the divil, but Tolkien must be coming in a close second.

From the imagery and Nazgul screams of Black metal to bombastic German power metal, from Doom to Trad all the way back to the originators of the style itself, the Sabbaths and Zeppelins of this world, an academic and staunch Catholic who served at the Somme keeps rearing his head again and again.

Just shooting the shit, but would be interesting to see just how many bands include references to him or owe their names to him, or at least to his works. Gorgoroth, Burzum, Cirith Ungol, the list must be endless.

Any fans and any recommendations for bands that were inspired by him or interesting stories? Any that you felt really captured the essence of his writing in their music?

First one that comes to mind is Blind Guardian's Nightfall in Middle Earth, although they've a rake of other songs based on Tolkein throughout their albums

It's an incredible album based on the Silmarillion. This song has been doing rounds in my head all week as I read the book so long ago that I really couldn't remember what the hell happened.

https://youtu.be/SxY_QeUF_Qs

Yeah, was probably when they really started adding the symphonic elements but still kept the guitars at the forefront, must give it a listen again actually. ..

Oh my gawd, not sure if it's my eyes or my ears that are more scarred after that!!

Of all things that list has inspired me to slap on some Enya.

Fuck's sake :abbath:

A couple of years ago reading LOTR and I was amazed by how many metal references there were in there. Well the other way round but yeah

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Vanyar/3540310245

Vanyar is great obscure and epic black metal. Totally underground and intended for select acolytes. Also apparently it is Tolkien influenced. Lyrically I wouldn't know but the vibe musically is suitable, I think.