Listening to Empiricism by Borknagar for the first time in an aeon. It's a great album. Whoever designed the artwork, though, should be locked up.  What an eyesore.

Quote from: Cailleach on September 09, 2020, 05:47:05 PM
Till fjälls is a great album. He got too proggy for my liking on later albums.

I ordered a copy of 'Till fjälls' on discogs so I'll see if that hooks me in the same way as the EP and proceed from there.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on September 10, 2020, 01:52:21 PM
Yep,  I have The Olden Domain.  I haven't got the s/t album though.  Must rectify that.

It is one of my favourite Norwegian albums; there is some epic stuff on there while still staying within a more black metal sound.

As for Vintersorg: I lost interest after Cosmic Genesis, and Visions really grated on me. I love prog—but not bad prog—and his clean vocals only ever worked if used sparingly.

Til Fjäls is class; along with Kampfar's first few releases it is some of the best music of that type.

Another resounding thumbs up for the Olden Domain. No other release ticks as many boxes. Was supposed to be seeing them late November in London whilst taking in the Brentford/QPR west London derby. Would like to think it's not my last chance to see them headline.

Quote from: Taranis on October 26, 2020, 06:55:38 PM
Quote from: Eoin McLove on September 10, 2020, 01:52:21 PM
Yep,  I have The Olden Domain.  I haven't got the s/t album though.  Must rectify that.

It is one of my favourite Norwegian albums; there is some epic stuff on there while still staying within a more black metal sound.

As for Vintersorg: I lost interest after Cosmic Genesis, and Visions really grated on me. I love prog—but not bad prog—and his clean vocals only ever worked if used sparingly.

Til Fjäls is class; along with Kampfar's first few releases it is some of the best music of that type.

I love his vocals. I get that they are probably not for everyone but they work for me. So far I've only got Hedniskhjärtad and Till Fjälls but I have Till Fjälls II en route and it sounds great from my YouTube adventures. I haven't ventured into his prog stuff yet as I'm not really big on that style but I'll definitely give it a go before I make up my mind.

Till Fjälls on in the car this morning again. Man, I can't get enough of this and Hedniskhjärtad lately. Recommend other bands along these lines,  that capture that epic Scandinavian buzz, preferably from the 90s as there is a recording quality from then that really appeals to me, but I'm also open to good modern stuff. No hurdy gurdy Wacken shite,  please!

Have you listened to early Tyr stuff?
That might be something you would like.

Yep, I know Týr. Ragnarok is a cool album but I think they are coming from a more heavy metal background than a BM one? I like the touches of harshness that are dotted through Vintersorg's stuff.

Ah yes I get you now. I'll have a think and get back to ya!

https://youtu.be/9UgDwpl0Xvk

So I couldn't think of any bands that have that viking sound but I did remember these guys.
They are more modern sounding but have that Borknagar/ Arcturus vibe to them.
You might like them as they have that black metal sound as well.

Have you got all the Kampfar stuff? Sort of similar style, and to my mind even better than the early Vintersorg stuff.

I don't own any Kampfar. Start at the beginning and work from there?

Quote from: Eoin McLove on November 13, 2020, 01:04:11 PM
I don't own any Kampfar. Start at the beginning and work from there?
First two are fucking essential, never bothered with anything after, not saying they are bad though.

I never got into Kampfar. A band I thought would be to my liking, but their music never clicked with me.