30 years since Facelift was released. We all know Dirt is a classic but I definitely overlistened to it over the years. Facelift must surely be very close in terms of quality, though. I'd be hard pushed to find weak links on the album. Jaysus, what a band.

A few write ups have appeared in the last 24 hours. Good to see it get a bit of recognition.

https://www.loudersound.com/amp/features/forget-dirt-facelift-is-alice-in-chains-most-influential-album

Great album, and they were great on that tour (supporting Megadeth is where I saw them), but the more 'glam' sounding songs are definitely the album's weaker moments.

Was a fan in my teenage years but in all honesty I find them fairly boring to listen to these days. Touring with a new singer didnt sit well with me as the band are nothing without staley.

I have no problem with them touring with the new singer but Cantrell needs focus more on writing riffs and let Duvall actually sing lead. Black Gives Way to Blue was pretty decent but everything since then has been pretty boring and Cantrell singing lead on 90% of the tracks doesn't help them.

But yeah Facelift is a great album, like someone said above there were still a few Alice 'N Roses type tracks on it, it's pretty funny they're all tacked on the last 4-5 tracks, were as the first 6-7 is the proper AIC sound.

There are demos in the Music Box release which show just how big a leap they made in a very short time. They're terrible, to the extent I'm amazed they ever got signed at all. Dirt is a perfect album, though, not one weak track on it. Facelift is patchy, definitely a step in the middle of the big gulf between the shite they were and the perfection they would achieve. Side 2 is weaker, definitely, starts great then four weak tracks but ends with Real Thing which stands alongside We Die Young as the two songs which had a massive impact on me when they supported Megadeth. The two tracks on the Last Action Hero soundtrack were fucking class too.

I'd happily trim off It Ain't Like That, Put You Down, I Know Something ('Bout You), but my favourite track on the album is (probably controversially) Sunshine. Love that chorus and Cantrell's lead after the first one.

I've never heard those Music Bank demos. Might pour a beer and go rootin' around online...

Music bank is on Spotify if you have it

For some reason their s/t album passed me by and I only started listening to it recently - its OK i guess, maybe you had to be there. Its no Dirt or Facelift (or Jar of Flies) for that matter.   The last few on Facelift aren't the best maybe, but its a fantastic listen.  Dirt - enough said... perfection.  I didnt know about that Music bank thing on Spotify actually ,listening now.

As for the recent albums -  Black Gives Way is absolutely essential listening, its a great album - as is Rainer Fog actually, both really strong with some cracking songs on them. I was worried when they put our Devil/Dino as it was dull (and still is) - i never listen to it.  There's clearly still life in the dog though and we should all be happy they are still doing it.... That Gibson interview with Jerry the other week was great.  Finally getting to see them last year in the Olympia was incredible, a first for me...

Also had a listen to Music Bank on Spotify the demos are 'interesting' :laugh:

I think the s/t is their most difficult album to get into. Took me months of listening but I think it's their second best album, just not quite as good as Dirt.

What is as good as Dirt is Jerry Cantrell's "Degradation Trip", especially the two disc version. Siddhartha, Solitude and Anger Rising are some of my favourite songs he's ever written.

Quote from: Ducky on August 24, 2020, 02:48:43 PM
What is as good as Dirt is Jerry Cantrell's "Degradation Trip", especially the two disc version. Siddhartha, Solitude and Anger Rising are some of my favourite songs he's ever written.

Hadn't listened to this in years but it's been on constantly since you posted this.  Cheers for that. Absolutely brilliant album!

#10 August 26, 2020, 04:41:55 PM Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 04:44:11 PM by Pedrito
Never clicked with any of the Cantrell solo albums. Must dig them out again.

Mad Season on the other hand...pure amazing brilliance

https://youtu.be/V5Ok7_KFuZw

As for AIC, I think Jar of Flies may well be the greatest thing they ever recorded alonside MTV Unplugged. Sheer genius. But then so is Dirt and I love their final album with Layne too..so dark.

#11 August 26, 2020, 05:15:42 PM Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 05:18:12 PM by Nazgûl
Jar of Flies is also usually my go-to nowadays too. I love them all really but JoF is just a lovely, short and concise listen. Rotten Apple is easily one of the best tunes they have ever written for my money.

On that note, they're some lads for writing cracking opening songs. Pretty much everything they've put out has a deadly opener.

They really could've relegated Swing on This to a b-side or something. Spoils the flow of it for me as I'm always conscious I'll be stopping it one song short.

#13 August 26, 2020, 05:47:17 PM Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 06:58:16 PM by Wiseblood
Dirt, Jar Of Flies and Black Gives Way To Blue are flawless releases. There is truly something magic around them all.

The other releases have their flaws but all of them contain quality material. The lowest level being in The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here.

The quality of the first 3 releases I mention though is the reason why they'll forever remain one of my all time favourite bands.

Edit - I should also add that their Unplugged album is also phenomenal.

They're a band that probably won't age as well as some of the other Grunge bands because every second band with a singer with a schmig ripped them off afterwards. All Layne stuff untouchable and Black Gives Way an utter masterpiece too. Dinosaurs I'd have no time for, but if I'm honest I never gave it much time.