Who are the best Thrash band of all time.......

Metallica
15 (26.8%)
Slayer
19 (33.9%)
Megadeth
8 (14.3%)
Anthrax
2 (3.6%)
Kreator
3 (5.4%)
Sodom
0 (0%)
Testament
1 (1.8%)
Exodus
2 (3.6%)
Sepultura
2 (3.6%)
Other
4 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on August 27, 2020, 10:05:42 AM
Slayer were just too heavy and Megadeth never managed to take themselves 100% seriously for the length of an entire album; that's how Metallica managed initially to resonate with a much wider audience where the others of the big four failed. MoP is fully tuned into sounds and themes that strike a primal cord in almost anyone (with the minimum requisite open-mindedness) who sits down and spends time with it.
Perfectly put.

Quote from: Pedrito on August 27, 2020, 09:34:32 AM
Quote from: Bogmetaller on August 27, 2020, 08:51:35 AM
[quote author=Pedrito link=topic=1341.msg31634#msg31634 date=
I'd def agree. I voted Megadeth  :laugh: it's very hard though to distinguish between Metallica, Megadeth or Slayer for me. They're all massive. I think Metallica, on a macro level, were just a lot more diverse in sounds and song types amongst a variety of other factors. Doesn't make them better, but it does make them far more popular. I think the variety of lyrical themes was important. The singing style is important. The 'technicality' is probably more accessible. The look, the myth they created aroubd themselves with a back story that was being pushed quite early. They seem to have known exactly how to market themselves from cery early on, whereas the others don't seem to have been son concerned. I wonder if Lars was the brains behind all of that or is there some shadowy figure in the background who was guiding them?

I would tend to agree with this - you'd wonder was Ulrich always intent on achieving world domination and that started by appeasing the underground before they released the black album. Slayers ambition was to be as extreme as they could - which they achieved in spades by the standards of the day. With  Megadeth its possible that music supplemented their desire to get wasted at every possible opportunity. Metallica then had the musical talent to become as big as they did. I'm not the biggest Metalifan but theres no denying the genius that is in the likes of Ktulu or Orion - OK they're instrumentals but their melody was harnessed on the black album with the difference being hetfield started into his yeaaaaaaa type of singing which the masses latched onto.

Bob Rock should not be underestimated in all of it aswell. The 'Year and a half' vids are an amazing insight into how a hugely popular band went from selling millions of records to becoming the biggest band in the world and in no way was it by pure chance. Used to watch them videos repeatedly..incredible documents really.

I don't think Bob brought them anywhere they weren't looking to go in the first place. He just made it sound amazing.

I think he applied finishing touches to them that they needed dragging out of them a bit, but it was definitely where they wanted to go as you say. The Hammet 'Nothing Else Matters' solo section(if it wasn't staged, certainly didn't look so) was a real eye opener for a young lad as to the power of a producer in the whole game. The amount of attention to detail is amazing, Hetfield recording mental amounts of guitar tracks for some songs. Such a great watch, must drag them out again.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on August 27, 2020, 10:05:42 AM
Slayer were just too heavy and Megadeth never managed to take themselves 100% seriously for the length of an entire album; that's how Metallica managed initially to resonate with a much wider audience where the others of the big four failed. MoP is fully tuned into sounds and themes that strike a primal cord in almost anyone (with the minimum requisite open-mindedness) who sits down and spends time with it.

Megadeth never took themselves seriously for a whole album? I disagree but get what you mean, I don't think it held them back though. I think a band that plays fast fast will never be that big, there is no really fast songs that are huge and crossed over. Metallica played song at the right bmp and James had the most accessible voice and the big riffs, easy for people to grasp
Play the Academy July 13th

The first 3 Megadeth albums did have those shite cover songs.

And, despite enjoying them myself, RIP has both Dawn Patrol and the lyrics to Hangar 18...not exactly serious art. Countdown is full of risible moments, and then we're already past the peak of their creativity, so...

I love the lyrics to Hangar 18 tbf, 'Military intelligence, two words combined that don't make sense', brilliant 😂.

Dawn Patrol is beyond cringeworthy, the vocals anyway. Musically it's just pointless. Never minded the Hangar 18 lyrics, they're a bit '15 year old poetry' alright but most metal is anyway.

The covers really stick out on Peace Sells and SFSGSW (less so on KIMB, which is shite throughout), I think the only cover they've done that wasn't shite is No More Mr. Nice Guy, and thankfully that wasn't on any proper album.

Peace Sells, So Far So Good and Rust in Peace is  some trilogy though.
My kid after being  a Metallica fan for the past 18 months has started broadening his horizons recently and has got into Megadeth, he plays guitar and I can see he is blown away by Mustaine.

I think this might have been up on the old forum but sure look it.....
Best Thrash band ever Metallica, with, And Jason For All....

https://youtu.be/vumrar1k928

#104 September 05, 2020, 06:53:00 PM Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 06:56:15 PM by leatherface
'...And Justice For All' sounds just fine to me. Never understood this whole "needs bass" criticism. It's a sharp, punchy and mean sounding production job. The guitars even have some low end to them (if you listen carefully) so I've never had an issue with it. I have an original vinyl copy and it sounds great.