I know there was a thread on here before about The SFX and it was great to chat about gigs from the 80's and 90's.
Some of the best gigs I went to were in McGonagle's and looking through this Classic Dublin Gigs page I stumbled upon I didn't realise that I seen so many great bands there.

https://www.facebook.com/ClassicDublinGigs/

the top hat was an adventure playground for kids birthdays by the time I was around, only found out years later all the punk and metal bands that played dun laoghaire

Quote from: mugz on June 04, 2020, 10:05:37 PM
the top hat was an adventure playground for kids birthdays by the time I was around, only found out years later all the punk and metal bands that played dun laoghaire
My first ever 'proper' gig was in The Top Hat. It was Anthrax and such a pity they got spat off stage after 5 or 6 songs. Saw a few gigs there thoug, it was rough but good craic.
Saw Sepultura there on the Beneath The Remains tour. Andreas gave me a can of Smithwicks out the back afterwards when we met and chatted (in their broken English) with the band for ages afterwards.
They were genuinely blown away yo be in Europe on tour. You could tell they were just music fans like ourselves. Great times....

Mordred (supported by Atom Seed) and Paradise Lost (Gothic tour, I think Benediction were supposed to support but didn't make it) were the only gigs I was at in McGonagle's. Sweaty place, two great gigs despite being mugged outside both (though they got nothing), presumably why I didn't go there again, I was in my early/mid-teens for those.

the late 80s and early 90s were heaven for me despite being too young for most of the stuff going on; it just had some kind of special feeling, music in the air literally and figuratively

I was too young for McGonagles, The Top Hat and The Tivoli. Did make it to the SFX a couple of times though. Some shithole but that was probably part of the charm

#6 June 04, 2020, 10:26:27 PM Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 10:29:25 PM by Kurt Cocaine
Quote from: Carnage on June 04, 2020, 10:19:25 PM
Mordred (supported by Atom Seed) and Paradise Lost (Gothic tour, I think Benediction were supposed to support but didn't make it) were the only gigs I was at in McGonagle's. Sweaty place, two great gigs despite being mugged outside both (though they got nothing), presumably why I didn't go there again, I was in my early/mid-teens for those.
Was at those two gigs also. Scott Holderby (Mordred singer) made a nice acknowledgement of Phil Lynott which went down well with the crowd. Can't remember which Lizzy song they played though.
We brought a few lads that were in a Sisters of Mercy type band to that Paradise Lost gig on the back of them loving Gothic when we played them the album when it came out. Such a disappointment when PL's 'ferry didn't make it over' for the gig...  :laugh:

surrounded by beautiful buildings the sfx was just a random cash and carry warehouse  :laugh: it was so rickety but it made for the perfect northside dublin 80s and 90s experience

#8 June 04, 2020, 10:57:10 PM Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 11:20:41 PM by Juggz
I get misty eyed at the thoughts of those days  :laugh:

My first gig was Megadeth and Sanctuary in the Olympic Ballroom but, after that, it was Top Hat and McGonagles all the way. I saw very few gigs in the SFX ,thankfully, it was a kip. If I can recall correctly and hopefully in some sort of order...

McGonagles:
Predator & Tomorrow's World
Acid Reign & Killerwatt (?)
Sabbat & Xentrix
Slammer & ...?
Gang Green & Meliah Rage
DRI & ...?
Deicide (Cancer were supposed to support but no show)
Acid Reign (again) & Amnesia
Xentrix & Moral Crusade (?)
Sacred Reich & Atrophy
Ozzy - both gigs
Xentrix (again) & Treason (?)
The Almighty & Predator (?)
Death & Loudblast
Massacre, Morgoth & Immolation (The ticket says Devastation but I saw Immolation in McGonagles and I'm leaning towards this gig. I don't recall seeing Devastation)

Top Hat:
Slayer & Nuclear Assault
Metallica & Danzig
Onslaught, Crumbsuckers & Slammer
WASP & Zed Yago
Anthrax & Predator
Faith No More & Prong
Suicidal Tendencies & MOD
Kreator & (fake) Death

SFX:
Judas Priest & Annihilator
Pantera & Gruntruck
Placebo & ?
Anthrax & ? (Stomp 442 tour)
Slayer & Fu Manchu

Tivoli:
Rage Against The Machine & Whipping Boy (though the ticket says Tool, who supported them on that tour but we got jipped)
Beastie Boys & Scary Eire
Cathedral & Hangnail

I'm sure there are more but I'm an old cunt and have lost some stubs along the way which might have helped me remember  :laugh:

There were some good gigs in the Point around that time too

Iron Maiden NPFTD tour & Wolfsbane
AC/DC & King's X
Megadeth RIP tour, The Almighty and Alice In Chains
Metallica (Black album tour)
Megadeth CTE tour & Pantera
The Cult & Bootsauce
Iron Maiden FOTD tour & ...?
Faith No More & L7

#9 June 04, 2020, 10:58:48 PM Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 11:01:49 PM by Juggz
I know Ozzy, Yngwie and Queensryche played the Top Hat around that time and I missed those gigs.

Quote from: Juggz on June 04, 2020, 10:57:10 PM
I get misty eyed at the thoughts of those days  :laugh:

My first gig was Megadeth and Sanctuary in the Olympic Ballroom but, after that, it was Top Hat and McGonagles all the way. I saw very few gigs in the SFX ,thankfully, it was a kip. If I can recall correctly and hopefully in some sort of order...

McGonagles:
Predator & Tomorrow's World
Acid Reign & Killerwatt (?)
Sabbat & Xentrix
Slammer & ...?
Gang Green & Meliah Rage
DRI & ...?
Deicide (Cancer were supposed to support but no show)
Acid Reign (again) &...?
Xentrix & Moral Crusade (?)
Sacred Reich & Atrophy
Ozzy - both gigs
Xentrix (again) & Treason (?)
The Almighty & Predator (?)
Death & Loudblast
Massacre, Morgoth & Immolation (The ticket says Devastation but I saw Immolation in McGonagles and I'm leaning towards this gig. I don't recall seeing Devastation)

Top Hat:
Slayer & Nuclear Assault
Metallica & Danzig
Onslaught, Crumbsuckers & Slammer
WASP & Zed Yago
Anthrax & Predator
Faith No More & Prong
Suicidal Tendencies & MOD
Kreator & (fake) Death

SFX:
Judas Priest & Annihilator
Pantera & Gruntruck
Placebo & ?
Anthrax & ? (Stomp 442 tour)
Slayer & Fu Manchu

Tivoli:
Rage Against The Machine & Whipping Boy (though the ticket says Tool, who supported them on that tour but we got jipped)
Beastie Boys & Scary Eire
Cathedral & Hangnail

I'm sure there are more but I'm an old cunt and have lost some stubs along the way which might have helped me remember  :laugh:

There were some good gigs in the Point around that time too

Iron Maiden NPFTD tour & Wolfsbane
AC/DC & King's X
Megadeth RIP tour, The Almighty and Alice In Chains
Metallica (Black album tour)
Megadeth CTE tour & Pantera
The Cult & Bootsauce
Iron Maiden FOTD tour & ...?
Jaysus H Christos lad. It's as if we were joined at the hip  :laugh:
I'm glad you mentioned who supported Pantera at The SFX, Gruntruck. I frigging love them but could never remember them from that night.  :laugh:

:laugh: Yeah, I liked Gruntruck too. Decent band.

@Juggz

The Massacre line up is correct. I bought t-shirts by the 3 bands that night.
It shows the lineup on that FB Classic Dublin Gigs link I posted earlier.

Quote from: Juggz on June 04, 2020, 11:03:01 PM
:laugh: Yeah, I liked Gruntruck too. Decent band.
Push gets regular spins. Amazing and underrated album.

Ah me and FB don't get along so I hadn't clicked the link  :-\