What does that even mean? From experience, I'd say the people in West Virginia, South Carolina, Georgia and Alabama are far more welcoming and genuine people than in California for example.

So what if they are pro-gun and anti-abortion to a greater extent than your average blue state? It's not quite as oxymoronic as you seem to think it is.

Yep massive generalisations. And then we wonder why people might have a certain siege mentality. Some of the worst racism you'll find is the east and west coasts of the northern half of the states. Segregation as good as exists still in many of these supposedly liberal, firward thinking areas.

#857 July 31, 2020, 10:12:31 AM Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 10:17:43 AM by Black Shepherd Carnage
QuoteReal estate blog Movoto used data from the U.S. Census Bureau to establish the Top 10 redneck cities based on the following criteria: the percentage of population that didn't complete high school, number of gun and ammo stores per capita, number of taxidermists per capita, number of cowboy boot stores per capita, number of country radio stations per capita, number of NASCAR race tracks, number of Walmarts per capita and number of riding lawn mower/tractor repair shops per capita.

Number 1? Atlanta, Georgia!  :laugh:

https://tasteofcountry.com/10-most-redneck-cities-in-america/

And that's from a source (i.e. tasteofcountry.com ) where "redneck" is as likely to be seen as a badge of honour as an insult. Now, lighten up y'all...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3F_Tti09Y0

Atlanta is a majority black city.

Anyways, there's a lot to be said about the South, in spite of the horrendous drug problem destroying parts of Georgia and Appalachia. Fewer Starbucks and pink haired crybabies around.

Haha, from one generalization to another! Atlanta is actually well known for being something of an LGBT stronghold in the US ;)

I guess it's a stronghold for just about everything; a model of extreme diversity perhaps! Just seemed comical to take as controversial someone saying Georgia has a lot of "rednecks".

#860 July 31, 2020, 10:55:26 AM Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 10:57:40 AM by Caomhaoin
I'm not generalising really, just stating a fact. Over 50% of Atlantians are black. An LGBT stronghold? Alex Jones water pollution making the bronco busters gayer than the national average or what?

I took issue with the 'it's a redneck zone', which is a bit of a daft thing to say. I spent a fortnight travelling around the south eastern US, including Atlanta, and I saw very few plaid shirts, nor did I hear anyone say 'uh huh, I hate dem negroes'.

The problem here is rather with you equating "redneck" with "racist" then. Willie Nelson had no problem referring to himself as a redneck (he often did), but he certainly wasn't a racist.

It's often implicit in the term coming from outsiders, as you know perfectly well.

For a highly intelligent lad, you play the daft wee laddie to a T at times.

Redneck is generally used as a derogatory term and does imply elements of racism and incest and not going to school. Guns as well, and country music.

As with all stereotypes, such as minorities committing crimes for example, it doesn't come from nowhere.

I ain't playing no daft wee laddie, it's just that race wasn't even in the conversation.

#865 July 31, 2020, 11:30:22 AM Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 11:32:06 AM by Black Shepherd Carnage
This is the current, elected governor of Georgia, fyi:

https://youtu.be/_TJS7cleb7E

You really do pick some funny battles Kev.

You're outnumbered on this one Kev. That's 2 conservative as campaigns posted lately and ya, one would be forgiven for thinking they're a spoof. Even Southpark would have difficulty making a parody of them.

That video is ridiculous, just like that pansy mayor in Portland joining in the protests and getting a nice dose of freedom gas up his hooter.

It's getting very entrenched over there, it's getting to tinderbox levels.

What battles am I picking? I just said that it's a gross generalisation to call Georgia a 'redneck zone'. That daft video hardly represents the place as much as that imbecile virtue signaller diBlasio represents New Yorkers or the arch woke Khan does your average Londoner. T'was you wading in about Atlanta bring an LGBT stronghold and number one redneck city, which I've seen first hand is simply not the case.

Quote from: Emphyrio on July 31, 2020, 11:35:38 AM
You're outnumbered on this one Kev. That's 2 conservative as campaigns posted lately and ya, one would be forgiven for thinking they're a spoof. Even Southpark would have difficulty making a parody of them.

I'm outnumbered at all times when it comes to anything related to politics or demographics lad, I'm used to it :)

He ran on openly redneck policies because he knew that would get him elected in Georgia. He got elected in Georgia. So, it seems a silly battle to get into to tell someone that facetiously referring to Georgia as a redneck state is a "gross generalization". At best, it's a slight generalization, nothing worth getting offended on behalf of. I certainly wouldn't get offended if someone said that London is full of "arch-woke" ultra-liberals. Why not? Because it is, regardless of how many blue-tie wearing financiers live there too!