#3810 Today at 01:59:08 PM Last Edit: Today at 02:09:31 PM by Black Shepherd Carnage
MAGA wants more people to be more stupid. Certain very "smart" folk also, cynically, want more people to be more stupid. Nothing new about that. The DNC want to maintain people at the general level of docile acceptance/stupidity they are already at. That is far from optimal in my perspective but clearly preferable to wanting to make people more stupid. None of this is insulting to the people involved since I whole-heartedly believe anyone placed in an environment that favours intelligence will quickly learn to act intelligently. MAGA is more explicitly opposed to the construction of intelligent environments than the DNC. And moreover, MAGA tend to toe the line that not everyone placed in such an environment will learn to act intelligently. Because they're racist and (in many cases, cynically) choose to ignore environmental impact as a thing.

As far as I remember, I was mainly evaluating Walz in comparison to Vance, just as I'm evaluating Harris in comparison to Trump. I can support Harris over Trump without cynicism. I couldn't full on support Harris (or the DNC in general) without being cynical. I'm convinced another Trump presidency will be disastrous, domestically in the US and internationally, but I don't actually think Harris deserves to win based on the campaign they've been running more recently. When he was picked, Walz seemed a really strong strategic choice. I haven't been closely following what he's been doing or saying in the last couple of weeks to determine if he's now doing worse for the Harris ticket than Vance is for the Trump ticket.

I do not understand what your hypothesis that Trump wants people to be more stupid. To what end? I'd like some of my workmates to be smarter, but I mean, they're either smart or stupid ; how can you make people stupider? Presumably you mean hoodwink them somehow. Again, to what end?

Little will change, in my view, regardless of who is elected but internationally, Trump
is making the right noises about nudging cunts in the right direction vis-à-vis Ukrainians. You're part of an ultra-biased anti-Trump bloc whether you care to admit it or not, and any objective good he does, you'll be incapable of recognising it.

It'll be more sweeties for BiBi either way,

Poor oul Walz is as bad as anything with all the lies he's been caught telling. He really looks like he thinks people can't just look it up.

Quote from: Caomhaoin on Today at 02:21:16 PMIt'll be more sweeties for BiBi either way,

Yeah that's guaranteed no matter who gets in

Quote from: Caomhaoin on Today at 01:39:46 PMYou're a great lad for tarring people who disagree with you as cynical, stupid etc etc. Fellas with intellectual biceps far more impressive than yours (only my actual biceps are bigger than yours) are backing Trump, maybe you can explain why?

On why some of them are backing trump. Their business is better off under Trump.
As for whether republicans want the population educated. They don't. If you're poorly educated you're way more likely to vote republican. And if you're an urban dweller with a college education you're far more likely to vote democrat.
The whole 2 party system is fucked anyway imo.

Quote from: Caomhaoin on Today at 02:21:16 PMLittle will change, in my view, regardless of who is elected but internationally, Trump
is making the right noises about nudging cunts in the right direction vis-à-vis Ukrainians.

It'll be more sweeties for BiBi either way,

The sweets will never stop flowing to Bibi. A stain on humanity that lad.  As for Ukraine. I think they're proper fucked if Trump gets in. Flow of arms would stop I'd say. BTW what noises are you on about in the Ukrainian sense. Should they just bow down and let Russia take part of their country. It was ill advised looking to join nato. But they are a sovereign country. Should they be allowed do what they want or always cow to their neighbour?

To what end might leaders of a nation want to make their citizens more stupid, more docile, more accepting of wild assertions over the empirical complexities of reality? Shake your historical knowledge a little bit there.

I am anti-Trump, yes. I don't think I'm ultra biased, I just don't see anything I consider positive in the vision he has for, in a nutshell, humanity (be that in the US or globally).

#3817 Today at 02:43:46 PM Last Edit: Today at 02:47:11 PM by Caomhaoin
Putin was in the wrong to invade *looks over shoulder*. Ukraine is a sovereign country, but look at the bigger picture.

Right or wrong, the Russians were pushed and prodded by pointless (counterproductive, even) NATO expansion. Ukraine will never prevail without direct NATO intervention, which is WW3 and its gg well played for humanity. Therefore this only ends at the negotiating table and concessions have to be made to the Russians, it's as simple as that. Unpalatable as that may be, it's the only way.

Of course everyone has to save face first, so there's a lot more misery to come, sadly.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on Today at 02:42:43 PMTo what end might leaders of a nation want to make their citizens more stupid, more docile, more accepting of wild assertions over the empirical complexities of reality? Shake your historical knowledge a little bit there.

I am anti-Trump, yes. I don't think I'm ultra biased, I just don't see anything I consider positive in the vision he has for, in a nutshell, humanity (be that in the US or globally).

Yeah but how do you make people stupider, and to what end? Or did you misspeak.

I love my history, so the two new things you said, sure. But make people stupid? I don't get it.

I don't get how you don't get it.

I mean, one is either stupid or one isn't. How does one person, through rhetoric, influence another persons stupidity or lack thereof.

Perhaps you miss understand the word itself. Unlikely given your large vocabulary.

Quote from: Caomhaoin on Today at 02:43:46 PMPutin was in the wrong to invade *looks over shoulder*. Ukraine is a sovereign country, but look at the bigger picture.

Right or wrong, the Russians were pushed and prodded by pointless (counterproductive, even) NATO expansion. Ukraine will never prevail without direct NATO intervention, which is WW3 and its gg well played for humanity. Therefore this only ends at the negotiating table and concessions have to be made to the Russians, it's as simple as that. Unpalatable as that may be, it's the only way.

Of course everyone has to save face first, so there's a lot more misery to come, sadly.

Ya that's how it'll end alright. Putin is a psychopath. The threat of invasion alone would have stopped Ukraine joining nato. But Putin likes to have a war going on to big himself up to the populace as the defender of Russia. No matter how many Russians he uses as cannon fodder in the process.

Quote from: Caomhaoin on Today at 02:54:31 PMI mean, one is either stupid or one isn't. How does one person, through rhetoric, influence another persons stupidity or lack thereof.

Perhaps you miss understand the word itself. Unlikely given your large vocabulary.

I think it's more in the vein of keeping a large section of the population uneducated. You're right in you can't make people more stupid. Outside a brain injury of course.

Quote from: Ollkiller on Today at 02:29:35 PM
Quote from: Caomhaoin on Today at 01:39:46 PMYou're a great lad for tarring people who disagree with you as cynical, stupid etc etc. Fellas with intellectual biceps far more impressive than yours (only my actual biceps are bigger than yours) are backing Trump, maybe you can explain why?

On why some of them are backing trump. Their business is better off under Trump.
As for whether republicans want the population educated. They don't. If you're poorly educated you're way more likely to vote republican. And if you're an urban dweller with a college education you're far more likely to vote democrat.
The whole 2 party system is fucked anyway imo.

Isn't it mad how it can be divided like that? Not even arguing with it because that's pretty much been it for as long as I can remember. Is it the case that the colleges are indoctrinating students to feel more progressive and that country folk don't like change or outsiders? I wonder could it be that simple. I saw a graph not long ago that showed professors/ lecturers political leanings in the US and it was unsurprising. I'll go look for it I think I bookmarked it and throw it up

Quote from: Ollkiller on Today at 02:56:16 PM
Quote from: Caomhaoin on Today at 02:43:46 PMPutin was in the wrong to invade *looks over shoulder*. Ukraine is a sovereign country, but look at the bigger picture.

Ya that's how it'll end alright. Putin is a psychopath. The threat of invasion alone would have stopped Ukraine joining nato. But Putin likes to have a war going on to big himself up to the populace as the defender of Russia. No matter how many Russians he uses as cannon fodder in the process.

I think as much as anything else that the eye watering sums of money and the chance to launder it through Ukraine has a much merit as an explanation as the whole shtick about freedom and sovereign rights coming from the west. Enough money will have to be made from human misery into the right pockets before any end to it, which will certainly be at the negotiating table. Well as long as Boris Johnson doesn't get back in the Ukrainians ears. It seems we have him to thank for a large part of keeping it going but then who knows how much of that is true or whose idea that was anyway

Keeping it on topic, it looked like Trump had zelensky fairly on side when they met lately and mentioned ending the war, which was nice compared to the pure rhetoric and bloodlust that we've heard from the current administration at least.

Then again, Trump is all in on supporting Israel stamping the boot onto the Palestinian faces or so it seems anyway so that sort of negates the idea of justice or fairness there