#435 October 06, 2023, 06:23:49 PM Last Edit: October 07, 2023, 10:35:14 AM by Blizzard Beast
Have given this a few spins while working and there is some old stuff definately in there.Gathering Wilderness and Journeys end inspired riffs in parts.
Gets a bit better with each listen so will give it time but not as good as Exiles.

Finally sat down with this unwieldy beast last night. First impressions, really liked the opener title track.
Some really strong songs at first listen, definitely a bit of filler, liked the will not serve song and Tradisiunta. Better than expected.

#437 October 10, 2023, 09:03:14 AM Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 09:53:11 AM by Pagan Saviour
Have it on again this morning. I think all said and done, the material is simply just dull. There's little if nothing to get the blood pumping and a lot of the tracks just meander aimlessly. Death Holy Death for example I find really hard to get through.

QuoteWe Shall Not Serve is the best song on it

Surprised to read that, I find that one tough too - the lyrics are cringey and musically there's nothing there that they haven't done much more effectively in the past.

Think my own favourite is Pilgrimage to the Worlds End, really dig the vibe of that one and it's one of the few tracks that conjures any kind of real atmosphere. Given the theme and pace of the track it really delivers on the feeling of impending doom. Alan's high pitch vocal in the middle really is something else.

Pains me to say some of the above, in terms of the negative aspects . I'll probably stick with it for another small bit but will leave it then. I'll be hitting the gig next year, maybe it'll make better sense live? Wishful thinking?

Just to add about the artwork, I got the CD version. The landscape on the foldout of the digi or a partial of it would've been much better.

It's the second half, or Side B, that I seem to be losing my way with, it's like they're just jamming out stuff at times, kinda like the last Maiden in that regard, though still a lot more interesting than the second half of that was!
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Still dipping in to a song here and there every other day but it is not growing on me. In fact, if anything it is getting more disappointing with repeated listens. I think I'll skip this one in the hope that they will come back strong on the next one.

I've had enough of Primordial playing it safe, they are better than this. Time for Alan to discover new subject matter and maybe stop fooling himself that he is a singer. His singing is great in small doses but the snarl is his forté.

#440 October 12, 2023, 10:05:26 AM Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 10:07:53 AM by Circlepit
After leaving it for a few days I went back to it this morning.
I still like it but songs 2 and 3 just don't cut it. Especially the third track. When the intro starts I feel like it's getting ready for a ripper but no.
That track on particular has a meandering half baked vocal line.

From the instrumental on I'm hooked. I wish there was more backing vocals with harmonies. They really lift it especially in Nothing New....

Overall it's sounds like they may have been unsure exactly where  they were going with the whole thing.

#441 October 12, 2023, 07:54:06 PM Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 07:55:49 PM by KingHostile
Bit disappointed with this..... or with myself for being over it! :laugh:

Its no Journey's End. I loved "....Redemption at the puritans hand", I think there is nothing like "Exile amongst ruins" songs such as "Stolen years" or "to hell or the hangman", they suck you in and keep you there. Maybe you live it!

New album has its moments, a bit long? once or twice its a bit directionless. Maybe that is best captured in the video if you get me.

The second disc did nothing for me....

Maybe I'll pick it up again.

I had been looking forward to this for ages, but after a fair few listens, it just wasn't really worth the wait.
So very safe, as was said above.

No one expected them to take risks ,did they ?

Safe metal for mutton head festival fodder

Ah it's better than that, I'd say 3 stars.

My background working/reading music all weekend has been Primordial, revisiting at least twice each all the albums since and including To The Nameless Dead. I don't own any of these albums, so some of them I haven't listened to in full since their initial release.

Redemption... came across the weakest, Where Greater Men Have Fallen the strong surprise, maybe as good as TTND..? Exile... has its ups and downs, as does How It Ends, though I do think it's stronger and more interesting than either Exile or Redemption, and here I am happily listening to it again today.

Redemption is definitely their weakest effort I think.

WGMHF, as I've pointed out here a few times, is actually pretty decent. Half of it is fantastic. The other half is kind of meh though.

Exile didn't quite have the peaks of WGMHF but was a more consistent album and probably their best since TTND. I've listened to the new one once (most of it) but need to give it a proper go. I liked the folk/instrumental track.

Here I go again banding the drum.
Redemption is brilliant.

Ah sure, couple of things to do here, I'll give Redemption another shot. Maybe listening straight after a first go of TTND in years cast it in a bad light.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on October 16, 2023, 09:44:29 PMAh sure, couple of things to do here, I'll give Redemption another shot. Maybe listening straight after a first go of TTND in years cast it in a bad light.

No Grave is a belter. Lain with the Wolf starts off well, but gets fairly tedious in places. Bloodied Yet Unbowed is a chore. Bow, please bow. God's Old Snake, quality tune, some unusual stuff in here. The Mouth of Judas, AA going for a Frank from MB in the intro. Closer to TGW territory, decent tune. Primordial's Blaze of Glory. They should definitely cover that. Shot down in a blaze of gallows. This song has now gotten too long. Two minutes to go. Christ, shut your mouth Judas. The Black Hundred, good intro. Ah, speak of the devil: there's the gallows there now! This tune is grand, sounds almost like a work in progress in places though. Poor ending. The Puritan's Hand is decent, fairly TGW style too. Death of Gods decent too. So yeah, it definitely has its moments, but tracks that become a chore really bog any album listening experience down. But hey, one man's chore is another man's spoonful of sugar!  :abbath: