... that was actually any good?

Like not just different because nobody did it ie mixing some obscure folk music with metal, but the last time it was just done differently and also good.

Voivod would be a good example even though I hardly listen to them, but it was just done different and still good. Burzum have a couple in that vein etc

I got the idea from hearing the new Dave Vincent thing and thinking how it was just so fucking pedestrian and with all the music in the world what a fucking waste of my time going through any more than 30 seconds of it. I don't even think I lasted the 30 seconds honestly.

So...?

Grav, a project of Sir N, is definitely the most unique take on black metal that I've heard in a long long time. He uses a nice touch of Surf Rock riffing style with clean guitars. That combined with the wretched vocals is something that gets the rocks off real good. The two full lengths from last year and the demo comp EPs are definitely worth the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfnGgzFCytM

Kayo Dot - Hubardo

Should probably elaborate.  I'm sure someone will point out something similar being done earlier but this album was just such a suprise to listen to when I first heard it, it's real organised chaos and is arranged and mixed in a very unusual way.  Definitely a unique piece of music and one of the last times I was suprised by metal.

This has made me realise I haven't really heard anything  properly mind blowing in a while. I guess that's what happens the longer you listen to a genre and become more familiar with all the different areas. Nothing stands out as much anymore.

A few bands I've had on repeat recently, but I'm not sure if it's what you're asking for:

Mgla - In particular "With hearts towards none". It took me a while to get into them, but once it clicked I really enjoyed it. Just feels like a slightly fresher variety of the standard black metal I've gotten used to. There's a few live shows on youtube I've been enjoying too.

Vektor - In particular "Terminal Redux". Again, took me a while to get into. Some really fun technical/progressive trash which shakes things up a bit. Haven't listened to much of their other stuff but I've heard good things.

Havukruunu -  "Kelle Surut Soi". This one clicked immediately and I'm still loving it. One of the best albums I've heard in a long time. I keep meaning to check out their other albums, but I love this one so much I keep jumping to it instead.

Probably Ne Obliviscaris for me. Usually if a band is using a violin I'll just assume they're some sort of folk metal band, never really heard it being used the way they do on the heavier side of things

Quote from: Trev on December 09, 2018, 02:48:47 PM
Probably Ne Obliviscaris for me. Usually if a band is using a violin I'll just assume they're some sort of folk metal band, never really heard it being used the way they do on the heavier side of things

https://youtu.be/HxYS-0qAZyU
you should check out dominia man. they use the violin like a lead guitar. their first album is great.

Metal is a 50 year old artform and pretty much all of the truly unique avenues were explored over a couple of generations ago. Everything since has been largely combining parts of what has gone before. It's hard to take guitar-based music to truly new places and, by incorporating facets of old Metal, the artist immediately dilutes their originality. The best you can hope for is non-derivative material done to a very high standard, like many of the bands mentioned already. If you can apply a Metal sub-genre tag to a band then, no matter how good they are, they are largely walking down a well worn path. The real innovations have been in synthesis and electronics, that's where innovation is at the moment. Even then, 4/4 beat-based music with recogniseable verses and choruses has been done to death.

I'm of an age where a lot of contemporary music sounds like utter shit to me, so non-derivative, high quality guitar-based music (while rare) will do me just fine, thanks.

This has got me wondering, can we ever "run out" of new music?

Let's say there 88 keys on a piano, so there's 88 notes. Then say most music is in 3/4 or 4/4. Surely there's only so many combinations of notes which can create new songs? Obviously there's other time signatures, harmonies, and micro-tonal instruments etc, but is there a certain point where everything is regurgitating the same thing?

Or maybe I'm just talking a load of shite...

Pretty sure I saw a video on YouTube about this. It would take a couple million years to run out of music.So we're in the clear for the time being!

Quote from: Mags on December 10, 2018, 11:17:19 PM
Howls of Ebb I thought were very original in their sphere.

Good call! Absolutely excellent too, especially with a spliff or two and some fucked up literature.

Upvote for Howls of Ebb. Manage to be both weird and unique yet still have memorable songs

I actually listened to Howls of Ebb about a year or so ago I must give it another try. I have a vague recollection of it being good. there are a good few things here I must try but I think Juggz has hit the nail on the head and when I am looking for a new sonic experience I might have to keep looking outside of metal for it. I wouldn't give up hope on it or anything I guess I'm just saying I mustn't force the issue and maybe something will crop up