Quote from: StoutAndAle on August 30, 2021, 01:57:50 PM

A security guard helps me to my feet as he asks am I OK. The shop that was fairly empty suddenly has the busiest history section in the world. People are staring. I just nod silently. He asks am I sure. I am bursting for a piss. I murmur "Is there a toilet". He hands the books that I have in my hands off to a shop assistant. "Sarah will have your eh..." looks down "books about Hitler at the till."

ive a similar story meself actually.
when i was like 17 or so one of me mates worked in a small bookshop in town. i went in one weekend, had a rake of cans and bought some book about the SS in his shop while chatting to him. i went home on the bus but since i didnt want me parents to see that i was rat arsed drunk i decided i would sit in a park around the corner from my gaff for a few hours, read the book and sober up a bit. i fuckin fell asleep and woke up to paramedics surrounding me with the book on display, cover and all for the world to see lol someone had seen me blackout out on the bench and called an ambulance. nothing wrong with me just sleepy lol. lucky being 17 i could refuse to be taken to the hospital and the folks where none the wiser.

Quote from: StoutAndAle on August 30, 2021, 01:57:50 PM
Once more unto the breach...

I went to Dublin to see Orange Goblin... and crawled under the covers.

Brilliant! Tell me you eventually made it to the gig at least.

Quote from: Carnage on August 30, 2021, 04:24:26 PM

Brilliant! Tell me you eventually made it to the gig at least.

Oh I did, yeah. I went for a little nap, shower, had a proper meal in the hotel restaurant and met my buddy in Mulligans where I re-started the pint clock from zero.

Gig was alright. The Orange Goblin lads were just after headlining the first night of Desertfest so I wasn't the only one who was shook looking in the venue.   :laugh:

Indeed.

I really want to try the porter in The Dame Tavern if it's that nice.

Trust me, go for a scoop or five. It's in my top five stout bars in Dublin.

1. Grogan's
2. Mulligan's
3. Dame Tavern
4. Cassidy's on Camden St.
5. The Confession Box, Briody's or J. O'Connell's (a draw)

Cassidy's is the only one of those I've been in, and that was at least 20 years ago now. Rare enough I'd be in Dublin, let alone go a-pinting. However, I'm due to go to a gig (which probably won't happen at this stage) in a coupla weeks, so I might embark on a beer trip (© Karl Marx) instead.

Quote from: El_ogre_del_Dublinios

I think they all need to hear about the sacking of Blanchardstown Maccers from the other week next.

I'd pay to read a book of your stories Stout  :laugh:

You'd catch a blurry glimpse while scrolling some of the longer posts around this place (i.e. the Coronavirus thread) and think "fuck that I'm not reading this", unless it has StoutAndAle at the top of it. A way with words ya have.  :laugh:

A mighty fine tale of day drinkin'!  :laugh: :abbath:

Quote from: Giggles on August 30, 2021, 07:55:51 PM
I'd pay to read a book of your stories Stout  :laugh:

Same as, he's got such a talent for storytelling. And a near endless amount of material by the sounds of it!

Quote from: Toeshaver General on August 30, 2021, 07:37:56 PM
Quote from: El_ogre_del_Dublinios

I think they all need to hear about the sacking of Blanchardstown Maccers from the other week next.

too much incriminating behavior in that one for public consumption tbh lol

Thanks, lads. I guess that you don't spend 20 years of your life as a professional shambles without gathering a few stories to tell.

I  haven't had a drop of the pure stuff  in 6 years due to THE FEAR, never to return to it.  I just stick to the Kombucha now!

Afew may remember this poem, sums up THE FEAR well enough!

"One mans struggle with the demon drink. portrait of a hangover, Ger Hough"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VN4B-_quG8

Also a  fresh second hand account here , have to share it for the extremes of it.

A blinder of a birthday party was hosted for a Ukranian businessman last Sunday, located at a big farm about 30 mins up the road. I know 10 people who were commissoned to setup and host a Viking campsite experience for this birthday bash. The organiser made it into a mishmash of Game of Thrones & Vikings camp set in the valley.

Intitally the mood started off mild enough, the organiser stated this would be a small celebration with 40 guests who flew in from Ukraine and that very little alcohol would be involved since they would be allowed to handle medieval weaponry. A horse show, some songs performed, Völva fortune telling, the vikings steal the birthday lad away and turn him into a viking etc, followed with archery and axe throwing which went according to plan. They settled down to the feast and this is when it gets atad excessive.

Guests were served with a bottle of the red and white wine each along with a bottle of champagne, aswell 1 litre of vodka and 1 litre of whiskey, EACH! The booze itself cost up to 33,000 euros for these 40 people.  The food costs was a little under 20,000 euros. A banquet of extremes with platters of food pilled on top of eachother for each person.

And after the digest and the quenching of thirst , the organisers tells the viking company that they want to try their hands at archery and axe throwing again. The vikings stated it wouldn't be a wise idea, the organiser insisted ,the vikings said no again. Well, she threw caution to the wind and was highly motivated and she managed to get hold of the axes on the sly and distributed it to the steaming heads.  :-[
Drunkards throwing axes and drunk onlookers almost becoming targets followed next, these were blunt weapons but still this is an insane recipe . Miraculously noone got battered and the celeb Ukranian DJ flown in especiaily for the few hours arrives which shifts the drunk focus.

One pal was asked to supply 60 bales of hay. The organiser decided to stack 10 bales and planned to set these bales ablaze for the big ring dance but they were left in the sippin rain for hours before this gig started. So when the time came to light it for the circle dance the VIKEE VAKEE dance , they ended up having to drench it in petrol only to give off thickets of mishts , insufferable gusts of dense smokey clouds and finally within seconds it flamed up into a fairly wild bon fire.
The plan was to bring the guests into a cricle and do the traditional ring dance with one of the musicians playing but the DJ wasn´t given any shape of know how this would to be done , so next thing he launched straight into "WEE DO DA VIK-EE VAK-KEE DANS" backed with some concoction of DJ Scooter plus bagpipes and thumping bass beats blasting throughout the valley and they all do the VIK-KEE VAK-KEE. So 40 plastered people and afew bewildered non drunk workers all holding hands ina circle doing the manic VikI Vaki around the blazing burning hay stacks that start to collapse into a heap close to their feet, folks almost circling into Dante's Inferno. After that head melter the DJ announces its "ACEY DESAY"- AC DC acid techno remix  :laugh:  and the merry go round of Viki Vaki continues.

Did the FEAR reach them in the following hours, well, one can only guess it did.

And the birthday lad was only celebrating his 44th!