Was skimming through a metal hammer from 2000 and saw an interview with the lead singer - never realised they were from Cork. Was anyone here a fan back in the day?

I remember the name but can't recall any songs, were they one of the bands on early at Ozzlessfest?

Yeah they were. Think they had one album called generation sap. I remember they had a song called Crawl down.

#3 April 04, 2020, 07:55:07 PM Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 07:59:18 PM by jpm4
Oh yes. I think the 2 Irish guys in the band were brothers from Middleton. There was a couple of years  there where Kerrang and Metal Hammer were touting them as the next biggish thing in the late 90s. I remember as a Cork teenager being fierce excited going to a couple of their gigs in Sir Henrys. The lead singer kinda fancied himself as an Iggy Pop type and there'd be lots of hanging off the rafters and throwing himself into the crowd while wearing dodgy day glo orange jumpsuits.

I cringe looking back on it a bit but they were an OK band.

Went to one of their gigs back then alright,it was in Gorbys night club (i think),mainly went to see Halfmast who were supporting them that night.

#5 April 04, 2020, 08:32:01 PM Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 11:14:52 AM by jobrok1
Seen them a couple of times.
Remember one gig in Gorby's when the frontman Dec was swinging from the stage rigging.

Halfmast supported at that one, actually.

They had a load of singles off the first album. Had a big label push behind them.

2 albums as well.
Couple of Linken Park lads guessed on the second album. They were all buds before LP ever made any waves.

Looks like we posted at the same time, Paul   :P

Did he not have really long red hair? And by ozzfest Ireland it was shaved off?

I do recall the most irrelevant piece's of info from 20 years ago

Quote from: Kunt 4 Life on April 04, 2020, 08:39:04 PM
Did he not have really long red hair? And by ozzfest Ireland it was shaved off?

I do recall the most irrelevant piece's of info from 20 years ago

Yeah that's right - it was either shaved completely by then or possibly a mohawk. They were just finishing up by the time I made it into Punchestown.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/hip-as-hell-and-thank-you-midleton-1.257330

Above article is gas...someone obviously thought Cyclefly were destined for bigger things back in the day but it never really materialized. Not my thing to be honest but they seemed to get a fair bit of hype from Metal Hammer UK at the time. Which obviously is no indication of quality. They're still plugging away with it regardless under the name of Mako DC.

Listened to some of their stuff there - some of it Placebo by numbers but some OK moments too. He had a very distinctive voice I'll say that.

Actually...
He was on one the first few Metal Cell Podcasts.
Pretty sure he'd have spilled the beans on Cyclfly on that interview.

He has a recording studio in Middleton now too, I think.

Yeah, remember the Gorbys gig Half-Mast supported... was off the back of Cycleflys second album, and was pretty cool enough. Wonder if that was the same year Skinlab and Labrat played Henry's?

Quote from: Nail_Bombed on April 04, 2020, 09:24:21 PM
Yeah, remember the Gorbys gig Half-Mast supported... was off the back of Cycleflys second album, and was pretty cool enough. Wonder if that was the same year Skinlab and Labrat played Henry's?
Id say that Skinlab gig was a few years after?,when was that Cyclefly gig?,2001ish?

There was a pile of hardcore type gigs on in Cork back around that time,it wasnt really my cup of tea but went to a good few of them.