March 30, 2020, 08:19:23 PM Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 10:37:00 AM by John Kimble
So, like many others, I now have a bit more extra listening time and an opportunity to catch up on stuff I bought years ago and never gave enough attention to, one of these being Sentenced's Amok. Absolutely hooked and the War Ain't Over is one of the finest openers I've ever heard. So where to from here? There's a fairly large discography so any recommendations, avoids etc would be appreciated.

I'm going to be in the vast minority here, but everything up to and including North From Here is all you need!

North From Here is the standout out though. One of the best melodic death metal albums ever. Not in the modern shite sense of the term either, its more like 'The Red in The Sky is Ours'.

Amok and North from here are standouts.
Greatest kills is a good best of also.

#3 March 30, 2020, 09:09:17 PM Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 10:13:51 PM by Eoin McLove
I had 'North From Here' on on YouTube recently and I think the upload was fucked because it sounded like it had a phaser or chorus all over it.  I liked how weird the production was but I'm guessing that if I buy it it will sound much more normal.

North from Here,probably my favourite melodic DM album of all time,a masterpiece.

I love most of their stuff, though Crimson was weak I felt.  But the first few are untouchable with Jarva on them. North from Here is completely unique. Amok is amazing. I love the Love and Death ep as well. Then they changed singers... Down was hugely successful for them and is a real gem. Frozen has some good stuff on it too. The live DVD of their final show in Oulu is great - especially the  mid section with Jarva joining them. Tenkula was a very talented guitarist and writer  gone way before his time....!

'North From Here' & 'Amok' the obvious highlites but 'Down' & 'Frozen' are both great too.
www.dme-promotions.com
www.facebook.com/dmepromotions
www.instagram.com/dmepromotions
www.twitter.com/dmepromotions

Just gave a quick google to see how long they are split up!,15 years!  :o

Ya its scary stuff. ... still listen regularly though.

The Cold White Light is another cracking album. Gorgeous production and very hooky songs. A million miles from their heavier stuff.

.Got to see them only once, some year at Wacken....

Their debut is an album I never warmed to though, it's pretty dull for me...

I love The Cold White Light & The Funeral Album. Some cracking tracks on them. Saw them at Wacken in 2002. Great live but would loved to have seen them do their own show!

That you Tommy?, 'bout time you found your way over! (David)
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Favourite albums here would be Amok and Down. Huge time as well for their debut where the late Miika Tenkula was the vocalist. Unrecognisable from their latter releases and one of a slew of old school death metal gems released in 1991. DVD of their final concert in Oulu from 1/10/2005 also well worth having. Incidentally if you like the style of Amok you could do a lot worse than check out Cryhavoc. Released two albums (Sweetbriers and Pitch-Black Blues) in the late 90s and would be quite similar in style to 1995 era Sentenced.

Quote from: Thorn on May 19, 2020, 05:27:42 PM
That you Tommy?, 'bout time you found your way over! (David)

It sure is! Been on here a while. Forget half the time this page exists!!

Quote from: vinterland on May 19, 2020, 07:37:33 PMIncidentally if you like the style of Amok you could do a lot worse than check out Cryhavoc. Released two albums (Sweetbriers and Pitch-Black Blues) in the late 90s and would be quite similar in style to 1995 era Sentenced.

nice one thanks!
Definitely miss that era of Sentenced....

Quote from: Floss on May 20, 2020, 03:40:27 PM
Quote from: vinterland on May 19, 2020, 07:37:33 PMIncidentally if you like the style of Amok you could do a lot worse than check out Cryhavoc. Released two albums (Sweetbriers and Pitch-Black Blues) in the late 90s and would be quite similar in style to 1995 era Sentenced.

nice one thanks!
Definitely miss that era of Sentenced....

Let's just say it won't be just Cryhavoc's similarity with Amok era Sentenced that will grab your attention! Enjoy.