March 17, 2020, 09:37:13 PM Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 09:40:08 PM by Eoin McLove
I couldn't resist pre-ordering the forthcoming Soulseller grey DLP edition of 'Written in Waters', despite the hefty cost avec postage. It's another great album that I've had for years but which has only, in the past year or so, fully clicked with me. The pompous singing and not very black, black metal riffage doesn't make it an easy nut to crack,  but with the right mindset its magic becomes apparent. Along with Ulver's demo and 'Min Tid Skall Komme' by Fleurety, Ved Buens Ende stand out as being particularly tricky to pin down. Despite the shit artwork (every cover I've seen for this album has sucked equally) I'm looking forward to having it on vinyl.

With Virus finished up (a band I've stupidly ignored) and VBE gigging, I wonder what the likelihood is of a second album ever emerging. As long as it doesn't impinge on the brilliant Dold Vorde Ens Navn, I'm all for it.

took me a good while to get into this as well but so worth it... hard to believe victonik and carl micheal wrote this at 18 and 20, very much ahead of their time.  I remember seeing a water damaged (how perfect is that) original purple pressing of this for sale in neseblod for around 100e but couldnt bring myself to spend that kind of money so might spring for the soulseller re-issue!

I have the Misanthropy CD somewhere, not one I've listened to in an age. Difficult to label alright, I always put it, Fluerety's Min Tid Skal Komme and Monumentum's In Absentia Christi in the same box/not-box - all were pretty much their own thing with similar 'cold' productions and evoking the same mood - for me at least.

I'll have to check out Monumentum.

#4 March 18, 2020, 03:45:56 PM Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 03:47:27 PM by Alphonsus
I must get one I missed the last repress on soulseller and sold my original to someone in Portugal a few years ago. Avantgarde records reissued the Monumentum album on CD a while back and it's on bandcamp also definitely worth checking out. I'd love to see VBE sometime or even Dodheimsgard. I have no idea if VBE would put out something knew but Virus has some of the same quirky and idiosyncratic feeling despite also sounding like a very ordinary rock band so maybe they could do it. I think a reformation of VBE fell through previously because Carl Micheal wanted to control everything but it's good to see them doing something.

It was an absolute instant classic for me. CME is a genius and I must say I really like the cover of the cd I have. Would've always just taken for granted that you were into it, Andy. The demo is great as well and Virus are/were unbelievable. I like what I know of DHG which is the first album, always thought it was a demo, and the last.

Never heard Fleurety so have that on now and will check out Monumentum.

It was one I thought was interesting but didn't fully click with me until more recently.  I love it now.  Fleurety is another one that takes a bit of effort but well worth it.

Listening to Unholy's 'The Second Ring of Power' lately too which has certain similarities to 'Min Tid Skall Komme' to my ear,  despite being doom death/ funeral doom.

Didn't make much headway with Fleurety, I must say. I would say The Second Ring of Power, which I love, is an altogether more cohesive endeavour going by the 10 minutes of Fleurety I listened to. haha.

As an aside, Nécropole popped up in the suggested which is fairly straight forward BM but sounds savage.

I'd suggest sticking with Fleurety.  It's a real grower.

Quote from: Alphonsus on March 18, 2020, 03:45:56 PM
I'd love to see VBE sometime or even Dodheimsgard.

Who knows you may just see them someday, Lars from DHG is in Khôra which is a dublin based project, and Vicotnik is a guest on the new album, very nice guys.

The 'Written in Waters' DLP arrived, along with the new Shores of Ladon promo CD. Hopefully I'll get to give both or either a spin today at some point.  The LP looks great,  I even think the artwork looks more interesting in the flesh. It's infinitely better than the hideous Photoshop artwork on the CD reissue that I have.

The sound on this is perfect. Amazing clarity. Well worth the few bob, methinks.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on April 14, 2020, 03:36:03 PM
I even think the artwork looks more interesting in the flesh. It's infinitely better than the hideous Photoshop artwork on the CD reissue that I have.

Pointless Trivia: The cover paining was by Lise Myhre, the same girl responsible for that Nemi strip that used to appear in loads of newspapers.

I had to Google that but I recognised it immediately.  Was it in Metal Hammer or Terrorizer at one stage?