February 13, 2020, 07:57:06 AM Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 07:58:41 AM by Juggz

The official birth of Metal as we know it?

I am currently on a plane, waiting to take off, heading to Birmingham to see Zakk Wylde take a Zakk Wylde-sized shite on the early Sabbath catalogue. I felt the date needed to be celebrated in some way, although preferably with less pinch-harmonics.

I hope you have your BLS leather vest on for the trip  :laugh:

Yes great album. Love the atmosphere on this. Definitely the birth of metal going to listen to it later.

Unreal album and it's older than me, hahaha...
Sabbath are my all time favourite band. I never get tired of their first 6 albums.
Gonna have a few cans tonight and pay homage to the masters of Metalllllll....

The song Black Sabbath is unreal.  Imagine hearing those funeral bells followed by that slow evil riff for the first time, coming out of the hippy 60s. I don't think any other band at the time had touched on such a sense of dread. Arguably the beginning of heavy metal,  undoubtedly the beginning of doom!

They were true pioneers. 50 years old and still heavy even by today's standards.

Quote from: Wiseblood on February 13, 2020, 08:02:12 AM
I hope you have your BLS leather vest on for the trip  :laugh:
Tipperary chapter, brah!  :laugh:

There was rock, heavy rock, before this but, to me, this is where Metal begins.

Still remember listening to the song Black Sabbath for the first time as a kid and my friend telling me that the three notes played in that order was some ancient tune used to summon demons that had been outlawed by the church, was proper worried listening to it  :laugh:

Not entirely untrue   :)

It is built around the tritone, often known as "diabolus in musica" or the devil's interval which has an interesting history.

I'm sure there's a wiki article about it with a list (lists!) but what are the other well known uses of it? The only two the immediately spring to mind are the intros to Hendrix's "Purple Haze" and Atheist's "Mother Man".

What an amazing album and still sounds as great as the day it was recorded. I wonder if there's a wispy, whispery version done by some bland, homogenous twat that would be safe enough to play in Starbucks? 'Noo, please God help meeeee!'

What an album to kick off heavy metal. Mind was blown first time I heard it. It's a great heavy album bit it's the inherent groove in the songs that gets me every time. 

Now I have you with me, under my power
Our love grows stronger now with every hour
Look into my eyes, you'll see who I am
My name is Tony Iommi, please take my hand.

Quote from: Pedrito on February 13, 2020, 11:37:17 AM
What an amazing album and still sounds as great as the day it was recorded. I wonder if there's a wispy, whispery version done by some bland, homogenous twat that would be safe enough to play in Starbucks? 'Noo, please God help meeeee!'

:laugh: