Pubs open on the 21st,about fuckin time!,the two meals on a night out was killing me!

Quote from: Bigmac on September 08, 2020, 08:05:47 AM
This is flying around Facebook a bit, but I'm no statistician, so not sure if the claims are correct:

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/casesinireland/epidemiologyofcovid-19inireland/COVID-19_Daily_epidemiology_report_(NPHET)_04092020_website.pdf?fbclid=IwAR3C3tVFJRQv4xuiVF7Bkn1R4dIWPkxxVZsClg0IxG_1laaIinWSuJBq0rs

Page 11 seemingly says the total number of deaths is 1,777, and the total number of deaths with underlying conditions is 1,677. So Covid alone killed 100 people, mostly in their 80's?

There's probably more nuance to it than that, so it'd be good to hear it if so.

Of course the picture will become clearer over time, but once the media frenzy (of which I've never seen the likes) dies down I think the actual facts will show something along the lines of what that report has to say. Saying that, it's easy for me to sit and type that now, when nobody had a clue how this would pan out in the beginning. It has been severely over hyped though from the start and I'm fairly sure that world governments have been sold much the same hype as the rest of us in the last few months. Trump's assessment of it all as a bad flu is starting to look a little more level headed as time goes on. In the video interview with Dr De Brun I posted yesterday, he points out how odd it is as a Lefty, to see that the only people going against the accepted narrative on this virus are the right wing in an odd change of tack, and the leftists are the ones pushing for censorship and strict following of the rules. Pretty funny.

Quote from: Paul keohane on September 08, 2020, 01:22:01 PM
Pubs open on the 21st,about fuckin time!,the two meals on a night out was killing me!

I know a fella who is a right jakey, and he usually doesn't eat for days on end when he is on the sauce but he has never looked better since he started eating 3 dinners a day

#1399 September 08, 2020, 04:04:52 PM Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 04:10:04 PM by Bigmac
Quote from: astfgyl on September 08, 2020, 02:53:44 PM
Of course the picture will become clearer over time, but once the media frenzy (of which I've never seen the likes) dies down I think the actual facts will show something along the lines of what that report has to say. Saying that, it's easy for me to sit and type that now, when nobody had a clue how this would pan out in the beginning. It has been severely over hyped though from the start and I'm fairly sure that world governments have been sold much the same hype as the rest of us in the last few months. Trump's assessment of it all as a bad flu is starting to look a little more level headed as time goes on.

Yeah as time goes on it really does seem like it was way over hyped, but we won't really know until the dust fully settles.

My gripe is that because of the actions taken, my Ma had an essential operation pushed back by months, and was left being fed by a machine in the gaff over the course of it all.

She eventually had the operation a few weeks ago and came home, but is back in hospital now.

While she's in there, I can't even see her. All because of a minuscule number of deaths.

I doubt we are the only family to have been affected in such a way, so it'll be interesting to see the true extent of suspending other medical treatments through the duration of it.

Overall, reading that report, I can't see a justification for why that was delayed, and also why she currently has to be in there alone, without any family support.

I get that anger can certainly skew my interpretation of it, but still though, what a load of bollocks.

I understand your frustration given how things appear at the moment. But now, try to imagine the absolute outrage if even a relatively small number of people went into hospital for otherwise routine operations, caught covid while there, and ended up dying on a ventilation machine in ICU. That's the wager hospital admissions policy is faced with.

Yeah I get you, it's a no win situation really.

It just appears from reading that report, the deadliness of it all was way overestimated, so there certainly could have been a more flexible approach taken had we not been whipped into an apocalyptic frenzy.

I do see your point though, a very hard call to make, especially when things were still developing.

In terms of nosocomial considerations (i.e. transmission and severity of infection specifically within medical establishments), it's very hard to say whether it was over-estimated. What you've reported there can quite easily be read as; if you're vulnerable, covid will knock you out. That's the flip-side of the often recklessness with which people were brushing aside the fact that everyone dying had a co-morbidity: if you're an in-patient at a hospital, you very likely have a co-morbidity! Maybe one that has been identified as particularly lethal in combination with covid, maybe not...or maybe just not yet!

Honestly do feel for your ma though; I'd be racked with feelings of guilt in that situation, and not able to do anything about it. Are you able to send her stuff? Cards, letters??

Yeah it's really hard to tell, so I hope a bit more time also gives a bit more clarity. Just seems like such a clusterfuck, and the anger definitely puts the blinkers on when it comes to interpreting these things. I get that it's more complicated than that.

I just give her a buzz a couple of times a day. Not sure about sending stuff in but I could ask about it. She's not one for technology, so just has a brick phone, meaning no videos calls or the usual stuff you'd do in such circumstances.

Appreciate the concern though, cheers!

If she's old school, ask if you can send her a card or a letter, or even if they could print something you send them and hand it to her if they don't want stuff coming in from outside. The lost art of letter writing, y'know, could lift her spirits for days!

Not a bad idea at all man! I'll come up with something so, fair play!

Quote from: Bigmac on September 08, 2020, 04:04:52 PM
Quote from: astfgyl on September 08, 2020, 02:53:44 PM
Of course the picture will become clearer over time, but once the media frenzy (of which I've never seen the likes) dies down I think the actual facts will show something along the lines of what that report has to say. Saying that, it's easy for me to sit and type that now, when nobody had a clue how this would pan out in the beginning. It has been severely over hyped though from the start and I'm fairly sure that world governments have been sold much the same hype as the rest of us in the last few months. Trump's assessment of it all as a bad flu is starting to look a little more level headed as time goes on.

Yeah as time goes on it really does seem like it was way over hyped, but we won't really know until the dust fully settles.

My gripe is that because of the actions taken, my Ma had an essential operation pushed back by months, and was left being fed by a machine in the gaff over the course of it all.

She eventually had the operation a few weeks ago and came home, but is back in hospital now.

While she's in there, I can't even see her. All because of a minuscule number of deaths.

I doubt we are the only family to have been affected in such a way, so it'll be interesting to see the true extent of suspending other medical treatments through the duration of it.

Overall, reading that report, I can't see a justification for why that was delayed, and also why she currently has to be in there alone, without any family support.

I get that anger can certainly skew my interpretation of it, but still though, what a load of bollocks.

I don't think your view of it is skewed at all, and I hope somewhere down the line one of the outcomes of all of this is to wake people up to the media in general and be aware of just how influential they are in their attempts to mislead everyone. Load of bollocks indeed. I think in the future we are going to see a lot more situations like this though with the saturation coverage of everything. Sure look at the likes of sky news with their breaking news alerts and the like. The cunts are only waiting for something like this to use to put the shits up everyone so we can all stay glued to it and buy products from their advertisers while we're at it. And now here we are, economies decimated, head spinning amounts of money invested, vested interests abound, government gone so all in that they can't even row back. Sure imagine if they came out tomorrow and said fuck it was overblown (overblown is probably not the right term there, more misdirected) how all the people who couldn't have a proper funeral for their loved ones would feel, for one example. I'm still convinced there is a massive game of follow the money to be played here which would lead to a few answers as to why this has panned out the way it has. again having said all that, the approach of utmost caution was undoubtedly the right one for starters but now seems a bit much.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on September 08, 2020, 04:19:18 PM
I understand your frustration given how things appear at the moment. But now, try to imagine the absolute outrage if even a relatively small number of people went into hospital for otherwise routine operations, caught covid while there, and ended up dying on a ventilation machine in ICU. That's the wager hospital admissions policy is faced with.

That is indeed a good point. The fear of the outrage drives a lot of things.

Yeah I'd say there's certainly an element of never letting a good crisis go to waste, so someone somewhere is benefiting. Might need to move that to the tin foil hat thread though.

This goes into what I mentioned earlier:

https://www.thejournal.ie/how-many-people-have-died-from-covid-19-in-ireland-5198763-Sep2020/

The inclusion of QAnon in the article just seems a bit "please don't question anything, and if you know anyone who is, please call them a conspiracy fruitloop".

Just seems kind of out of place, but I'm probably just grasping for things to rant about again.

Yeah I just read that there, and I would fall between the two stools on that one. I do think that 1778 people have died and had SARS Cov-2 present in their bodies at the time. I don't think it was the primary cause of death in all of them, but I think the number of 100 deaths from it is a bit of a twist of logic. My guess is that it's somewhere in between but I do think it is overestimated. It's like when the report every evening says there are 59 patients in hospital with covid. They don't really bother telling everyone that the hospitals are testing basically every admission as a matter of course and whether any of those admissions are due to the likes of a broken leg or other causes. Not saying they all have broken legs either, just pointing out how misleading figures can be when massaged the right way.

I really don't like the equating of questioning the covid situation and response with conspiracy all the time either. It seems to me to be just a tactic to discredit the other side of the discussion and kills dissent for the most part, as you have mentioned there with the QAnon. The Journal is a bit mock anyway.

Here's a question on a different note to my usual ranting..

Why is it that children are seen as not passing it on to adults so much? Like do their coughs and sneezes and whatnot not contain the same virus as an adult's would? Is it because they are less symptomatic in general or what is it. I must research the info on that one a bit myself, but what does anyone else think of that?