#600 April 09, 2020, 03:13:40 PM Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 04:04:49 PM by Eoin McLove
Debenhams going into liquidation in Ireland. 2000 jobs down the drain. Is this the beginning of the next recession? Looking that way.

If there's any accuracy in this, it suggests we're over the worst of it

http://covid19.healthdata.org/ireland

Grim times coming for the UK, however

http://covid19.healthdata.org/united-kingdom

#602 April 09, 2020, 04:14:37 PM Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 05:50:22 PM by astfgyl
Quote from: Juggz on April 09, 2020, 04:01:40 PM
If there's any accuracy in this, it suggests we're over the worst of it

http://covid19.healthdata.org/ireland

Grim times coming for the UK, however

http://covid19.healthdata.org/united-kingdom

I'm feeling cautiously optimistic reading those. The actual deaths on the 6th was lower than the projection as well. It's good to feel like we are doing well.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on April 09, 2020, 03:13:40 PM
Debenhams going into liquidation in Ireland. 2000 jobs down the drain. Is this the beginning of the next recession? Looking that way.

Is that some sort of tactic to write off company debt and then start again or something along those lines? I'm not very knowledgeable with things like this, but I was speaking to a guy the other day who seemed pretty sure that was the idea behind it. Maybe he was talking shite though.

I very much doubt that Debenhams employ 2000 people in their 7 retail stores across Ireland.
Are they including ancillary workers (delivery drivers, warehousing operatives, etc.) in these figures?
I sense a bit of scaremongering in this story tbh...

Debenhams was struggling in the UK already. It was always gonna go this way, but this crisis has expedited things here.

Very glad I adhered to HSE advice now. My dad was diagnosed with it yesterday. Because I haven't visited him in a month I won't even need to be tested.

Per capita our death rate is currently close to 50% less than that of the UK which of course is a large percentage but still the UK has roughly a greater than 60 million more population than us which means also more and larger urban areas their deaths seem to be in a similar age group as ours but probably haven't reached thir peak yet. France Italy and Spain are still fairly bad even if they are stabilising and improving to some extent but Europe as whole has not peaked according to the WHO. The US as awful as New York has been seems to be fairly low otherwise.

Ireland is the least densely populated country in Europe or at least one of them.

The US figures are high but their population is almost that of Europe if you knock a couple of countries out of the equation.

The underlying and really worrying thread to all of this is how corrupt and biased the likes of the WHO and the U.N. are starting to seem. A lot like FIFA, nobody seems to pay any attention to them for the most part, but the Taiwan story says a lot about where they're at. It seems we in the West spend so much time criticising our own politicians and systems that we've forgotten just how utterly shit it is to live in the likes of China, just how corrupt and sinister their political system is. The propoganda machine is in full effect at the moment to take the spotlight off them and it's amazing just how complicit the western media is with it all.

They've been struggling for a while now and CV19 was the final nail in the coffin it seems.

This time last year it was announced they were closing 11 stores in the UK but not touching the 12 in Ireland. As said above they have been going down hill for a bit so this sealed the deal so they will of course cut stores outside of their own country before ones within the UK. But from all accounts there'll be a lot more on the way out soon enough.

5th May at least. We are all heroes.

Ted?...

Three more weeks of groundhog day  :-[

#614 April 10, 2020, 05:19:16 PM Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 07:05:03 PM by astfgyl
Good old father ted is right up there with the simpsons when it comes to summing everything up

3 weeks is a tough one. But sure fuck it, if it works it works. I'd be the very lad giving out if there wasn't enough being done but it's hard to look at the likes of Taiwan and not feel a small bit jealous of their less draconian measures. Leaving cert students must be feeling particularly demoralised right now. I never thought it would be any less than what was announced but even so, it will be a tough one.

I wonder what the immediate effect on mental health will be after an announcement like that, like will a lot of people instantly crack up upon hearing the time frame? I had a feeling it would be drip fed on a weekly or fortnightly basis to mitigate the mental health effects. Obviously I was wrong and I wonder now was that taken into account by the NPHET or were they more single minded in their recommendations?

At the very least the off licence is going to take a beating

Also, am I wrong in feeling angry about the fact that tourists from the UK were being let in off the ferries the last couple of days when we are having our lockdown extended. They have a much higher number of infections than we do, and if any percentage of them have it, it basically sets us right back and likely further extends our restrictions. What is wrong with this country that we couldn't send them right back from whence they came?

I'd be interested to hear what any of you think about this or is there another perspective that I'm not seeing?