Yeh can't be wishing death on someone it creates bad juju 🙈

Some reductions in Italy France and Spain over the last few days are encouraging. I don't have the exact figures but I suppose the results of the restrictions had to become apparent at some stage. I guess the picture here should be getting clearer over the next few days regarding the effects of what we are all doing. It looks promising so far but I do feel the lag in testing has a lot to do with that.

Where do any of you see this ending? Is it feasible to keep restrictions in place until all cases have been cleared or until a cure or vaccine is definitively found? Of course reintroduction couldn't be ruled out unless all points of entry are closed and that seems unlikely especially considering north/south cross border travel covering different jurisdictions and probable differences in policy coming into play. I wonder will there be some form of retrospective test that would allow some to go back to work. That seems like it would also be problematic as it is effectively punishing those who managed to avoid infection.

Probably missing something obvious, but any ideas?

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on April 07, 2020, 01:40:29 PM
Eh lads, no need to go off on one in either direction; whatever happens happens. Wishing or not wishing won't change a thing about it. Boris publicly resigned himself to lots of people dying; if he's one of them, he's actively to blame simply by having followed his own terrible advice. I don't hope he dies, but in a literal sense it will "serve him right" if he does. No need to get moralistic about it and lose our shit.
This... 

The Boris thing is indicative of where we have gone as a society..down the drain. It's Schadenfreude shite. If he or anyone else had an answer to the crisis I wouldn't be into my 4th week sitting at home with a death toll in Spain kicking up 14k and the numbers rising again despite total lockdown. I'm not here to defend him, yes maybe he got his words wrong, does he deserve to die for that? He's posh..again, is that worthy of death? He's a Tory, went to a posh school, believes in diffferent values..does that mean all his followers deserve the coronavirus too? And then there's the other end of the scale..why can't the scumbags and knackers get it instead of the nice people. So who's left after all this? People need to grow up, and it's certainly not only in this thread I'm reading such nonsense.

I have heard several people saying things like "I hope such-and-such gets it". I disagree. I hope nobody gets it.

I'm actually wondering myself how this is going to end realistically. I doubt some guy will come on the telly and say 'right, the virus is gone. You can leave your homes, go back to work and all that silly queing to get into Tesco and staying 2meters apart is all gone. Go back to hugging and touching each other.'

It's going to be a very slow return to normality. But fuck me, I'll certainly appreciate simple things a lot more like going into town for a dander, popping into Nandos or going up to Portrush for a Sunday afternoon.

There was a one day dip blip in new cases in France a couple of days ago, other than that we're currently heading towards the peak here, not coming down from it. Today worst day so far for new cases and deaths.

Shit, so the good news story i was reading about it was probably related to that blip rather than some new pattern. I suppose I should be thinking harder about the good news stuff as well. Back to the old story of running with the things that fit with what I want to believe again..

Depends on what numbers are being spun. They are saying things like that the number of recovered hospital releases is up, but the national number of critical cases is still second only to the US globally, so I'm not paying much attention to spin, just numbers. 10000 new cases today reveals they've at least finally upped their daily testing capacity anyway.

#594 April 08, 2020, 12:47:45 AM Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 12:50:10 AM by The Butcher
Quote from: astfgyl on April 07, 2020, 11:08:57 PM
Shit, so the good news story i was reading about it was probably related to that blip rather than some new pattern. I suppose I should be thinking harder about the good news stuff as well. Back to the old story of running with the things that fit with what I want to believe again..

It's going to be a while depending on the different stages each country is at and what measures they have put in place.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/

Go through each simulation there and pretend that's over the course of 4-8 months. They have been starting to lift restrictions in China since late March so China duration is about 4 months on full lockdown with tough authoritarian measures. Peak will come to most countries in the next month or so. Ride this out until August/September is a good case scenario in my eyes.

So far today, the U.S. has reported 1,786 new coronavirus deaths, by far the highest in one day since the outbreak began  ???

Interesting simulations there, had a couple of goes with similar results. One thing I can say is that there will be many cans drank in the garden this year if I stay lucky enough not to get sick. I feel like we probably aren't anywhere near peak in this country yet and mostly due to the lack of testing and the delay in results for those who have been tested.

Massive figures there for U.S. too and they most likely aren't peaking yet either. But their population is 100 times what ours is so we probably have a similar proportion of deaths to them in percentage terms. I know a lot of the exact figures can be got from worldometers but following the numbers that closely was getting to me so I try not to get sucked in to looking at it

Just can't imagine even thinking of going to a crowded pub anytime soon, even if the lockdown was lifted. Maybe a quiet restaurant if pushed!!

Ted!?

What?

I'm going mad

I have that in my head a lot lately. Only Noel Furlong and the gang are subbed off and replaced with my kids