Was talking to a friend of mine who owns a restaurant. They're not in a position to take such a massive hit so unexpectedly. Poor thing is at her wits end.

Lad I work with, him and his misses have a cafe. If they have to shut down for a week they'll pretty much lose the business

I've been keeping an eye on this site since Monday evening.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

A lot of the northern European countries like Sweden, Denmark etc, had very low amounts in single figures on Monday evening, but they doubled nearly everyday since. They are all up on 700+ cases now I expect Ireland to follow in the same pattern.

Oh I'd say we're there already.

There is a state of emergency here in Spain, everything to be closed bar supermarkets and pharmacies. My boss e-mailed me to stay away from the place 'until further notice'.

I'm selfishly moping about my 10 day hike in Scotland  from April 2 which is now almost certainly not going to happen.

Crawling up Croagh Patrick on our knees in penitence and begging for Jaysus to take away this pestilence is what we should be doing, not hiking around heathen protestant Scotland!

The penny pinching Calvinist who took my booking (and 1200€) for my accommodation and baggage transfer has been absolutely silent since I broached the subject of getting my money back or postponing...

Irish Defense Force to be on yellow alert from Monday which is basically the entire force not including those abroad mobilised there's also a possible use of military structures for quartine.

Quote from: Airneanach on March 13, 2020, 11:18:40 AM

With the rest of Ireland going into lockdown, my own office is still going. Outsourced tech support for one of the big fintechs. Their own internals are now working from home but heels are still being dragged here in terms of trying to get us access to do the same. Everything we do is on a locked down VPN, Chromeboxes jacked into it via ethernet cable etc. First world problems but it's definitely doing my nut in a bit, tempering being an overly sensitive, semi hypochondriac snowflake with being pragmatic with the available data and my own risk levels.

I do hope we get turfed out of here for a bit, although I think doing it now might be a bit premature. We're probably two weeks off the real peak. Especially when 20,000 empty wallets get back from Cheltenham. Buildings like this are a mass incubator waiting to happen, even with all the precautions we're taking. They need to make some difficult decisions.

In a similar position and tbh it's a bit of a joke. Don't feel like any proper solution is being offered.

Quote from: Caomhaoin on March 13, 2020, 03:51:57 PM
There is a state of emergency here in Spain, everything to be closed bar supermarkets and pharmacies. My boss e-mailed me to stay away from the place 'until further notice'.

I'm selfishly moping about my 10 day hike in Scotland  from April 2 which is now almost certainly not going to happen.

Any idea if that extends to Lanzarote? One of the lads is supposed to be traveling there next week and he's adamant the only thing stop that will stop him is a complete travel ban...

Another 250 deaths in Italy today and 2,600 new cases  :(

It's the whole country according to the bird, the principal problem he'll have is that every day more countries are banning travel from Spain. It's 60 at the moment.

Just got a WhatsApp from one of my friends there. If its true the country will be on lockdown on monday.
Could be bullshit but highly likely I'd say.

What could be bullshit? Which country? Spain declared a national state of emergency today, no BS about that!

Looks like business as usual for me next week unless we hear otherwise in the meantime,  but I work outdoors so that might have something to do with it.