My point was that what you and I see as far-right on the political spectrum are quite different things. Vox are an ultra-nationalist anti-immigration party; that doesn't qualify for your definition of far-right, but it does for mine. So, it's only natural that you don't see the principal Irish social media actors who spread the misinformation discussed at length above, and who happen to be ultra-nationalist anti-immigration types, #IrelandBelongsToTheIrish, as far-right either. And in France, where the lies on this story have been picked up and spread by ultra-nationalist anti-immigration types they are networked with, #LaFranceAuxFrançais, well, I guess you'll tell me that, from your point of view, they also are not far-right. The National Party, the Irish Freedom Party, Identity Ireland, etc., may not have much of a following now, but that doesn't mean they haven't been exploiting this event opportunistically to guide people towards them, and as I said pages and pages back, their low numbers - demonstrably - don't take anything away from their capacity to hoodwink. But since we're not at all on the same page politically, literally not even in the same book, you may not even see those parties as far-right for all I know, since they're really not so different to Vox, except that they're not quite clever or united enough yet.

Would the publications not just state that the misinformation came from those parties then?

It seems logical that if they had evidence of it, it would be no harm to name the source of the misinformation.

But if they didn't have evidence of it, it makes more sense to simply state "far-right".

Even the Dali Lama is considered far-right nowadays. You'd think he'd disappeared off the face of the earth the way the MSM have blanked him since he, quite rightly, pointed out that mass immigration benefits no one. Well, except for the elitist few who make serious dollar from the  replanting of these poor unfortunate souls.

#1579 January 04, 2021, 05:29:01 PM Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 05:33:22 PM by Caomhaoin
Equating being anti illegal immigration (none of the parties you mentioned are anti immigration per se, and it's an important distinction) to xenophobia and racism shows that it's the left that's being hoodwinked by a nefarious elite who are just laughing in your faces for being their pro bono acolytes and foot soldiers . I'd be interested to hear what a reasonable pro-illegal immigration argument pertains, perhaps you could enlighten us.

Leaving out the cranks and screwballs, what you refer to the 'far right' is nothing if the sort, and as I mentioned it's a label, like calling them lepers or what have you, and all people of good will should wrinkle their noses and wave away their stench ostentatiously like a particularly foul release of gas.

You've lived in Paris, there are certain suburbs that have been made into lawless ghettoes where you wouldn't dream of going (I wonder how haughty your stance would be if you did end up in one and got hands put on you), and similar situations are sprouting up all over Europe because of...? Being blanket anti-immigration is a non-existent ethos. But having concerns about enormous demographic changes through uncontrolled migration of god knows who from god knows where makes you far right? It makes you right, as in correct, and rational.

Eddie Izzard is the first cool tranny I've heard in ages. Ledge.

3000 word essay of meaningless waffle imminent....

😂😂😂 FFS😂😂😂

First genuine chortle of the day, sound 😂😂

You're right. The real problem with the far-right, on the ground, is not so much that they're anti-immigration, but that they're anti-non-white-immigrants; this is exactly where rabble-rousing slogans like #IrelandBelongsToTheIrish and #LaFranceAuxFrançais really come from. I mean, if Hitler had only been anti-immigration, things would have been fine. But he wasn't; aside from being a war-mongering imperialist, he was very much anti-non-aryan-immigrant: #DeutschlandFürDieDeutschen!

And I'd been taking such care on previous days to write "anti-immigrant" too.

https://twitter.com/YanMacNP/status/1344398909305720838

Quote from: astfgyl on January 04, 2021, 03:07:59 PM
It's a real pity that it had to be a black fellow who was killed because it's galvanising both sides of a mostly nonexistent racial divide here. I say mostly because of course there will always be elements of that anywhere but the vast majority have no real interest in any of that shit. A sad situation we find ourselves in.

Skimmed through most of this discussion and this sums it up for me. Well, outside the Malcolm X quote which I ended up searching for and listening to the piece it was taken from as it seemed too good to be true.

And what some dope posts up on Twitter represents the people of Ireland how?

Quote from: Bigmac on January 04, 2021, 04:34:23 PM
Would the publications not just state that the misinformation came from those parties then?

It seems logical that if they had evidence of it, it would be no harm to name the source of the misinformation.

But if they didn't have evidence of it, it makes more sense to simply state "far-right".

Just to expand on this a bit.

The media assertions that the misinformation came from the "far-right", would be predicated upon them having evidence of the source.

If they knew the source, and as the "far-right" in Ireland consists of those three parties above, they would know it came from one of them. Even if it was an individual, the media would know the individual is "far-right" by their associations with one of those parties. So following that, the media must have the name of the party where the misinformation began, but haven't reported it. I can't see why they wouldn't do this.

The alternative is that they actually have no evidence of where the misinformation originated, but they need something to point a finger at, and "far-right" fits the bill. If they were to specifically finger one of those parties without evidence, I guess there could be legal ramifications, hence why they kept it broad.

So if that is true, then we have the national media accusing one side of the political spectrum of misinformation without evidence, and the original joke about "Communist/BLM infiltration" isn't actually far fetched.

#1587 January 04, 2021, 06:23:24 PM Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 06:25:26 PM by Caomhaoin
I have no social media accounts anymore so I can't open that.

That may have a kernel of truth to it, but I'd imagine, and I'm speculating, that the numbers are of more concern than the colour of the skin.

Moroccans live in Spanish cities on large numbers, as do Romanians, with smaller but significant numbers of west Africans. The former two generate far more ire among the locals because of the behaviour and criminality a lot of them engage in. The black lads just hang around and sell bags of weed, at least the road from me in Lavapies.

People don't give as much of a shit about ethnicity as you think they do, and it's perfectly rational to become startled at massive demographic change with colonies of alien cultures and religions sprouting up in a density never before seen. It's not racism, although god knows what the word is supposed to mean now.

Protests in Drogheda today over the shooting.

You don't need a Twitter account to open a tweet.

The "far-right" in Ireland is also characters like Grand Torino who, as far as I know (which isn't very much), isn't linked to any of those parties himself, but who does have thousands of followers, and does come out with stuff like this:
QuoteThe piece of paper they have that claims they are Irish..
we will use it to wipe our arse.
Ireland will always belong to the Irish.
And there are also Irish 4chan users, which is another place both memes and the photo could have originated. Saying it came from the far-right doesn't mean it came from the press office of a far-right party.

Over the next few years, as SF begin to get more and more "progressive", a lot of their traditional supporter base could easily jump ship to parties like the Irish Freedom Party (who, on their webpage, are genuinely suggesting martial law for places like Clonee, Blanchardstown, Balbriggan, etc.), the National Party (one of whose youth wing members posted the above tweet), etc. If that happened, part of the reason would be liberals going too far with their nonsense, and part of it would be from people not taking seriously the possibility it could happen. It's even possible that the reason the lies were spread so fast even by a lot of absolutely not right wing people is because the idea there is a far right movement in Ireland that's orchestrating such misinformation seems like pie in the sky, as many of you keep insisting.