Or when acknowledge on screen one of the guests (who isn't a comedian) is funnier than Josh.

I remember watching one episode when they had Chris O'Dowd on absolutely locked and thought it was great, any other episodes I've seen since then has paled in comparison

Bee Vang, he of the Clint Eastwood movie, Gran Torino, has come out denouncing the film for its anti-Asian slurs. I'm not sure what came as a surprise to him after he read the script.

Just wait til the guy who played the sheriff in blazing saddles does the same...

From wikipedia

"Bee Vang is an American actor. He is best known for starring in Clint Eastwood's 2008 film Gran Torino as Thao Vang Lor. Before this role, he did not have any known acting experience"

Ungrateful bastard

Quote from: Emphyrio on February 18, 2021, 11:14:03 PM
Bee Vang, he of the Clint Eastwood movie, Gran Torino, has come out denouncing the film for its anti-Asian slurs. I'm not sure what came as a surprise to him after he read the script.

I presume whoever he told that story to laughed into his face

To be fair, it sounded ridiculous to me too until I read the context. He wrote a small article for NBC Think, and really he appears to just use the film to make a larger point about racism.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/think/amp/ncna1258184

#1928 February 19, 2021, 06:39:47 AM Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 08:36:01 AM by Eoin McLove
It would be hilarious to see a woke film about racists oppressing a minority but, so as not to actually upset anyone, the racists treat their victims with nothing but love and tolerance.

Nazis hearding trains full of Jews to a nice skiing resort.

Gran Torino 2 where Clint Eastwood expresses his hatred toward Asians by knitting them lovely jumpers.

Romper Stomper reimagined as a very sporting table tennis tournament.

Hard hitting stuff.

Table tennis is actually racist because you have to squint your eyes to see the wee white ball coming at you at speed.

Quote from: Nazgûl on February 19, 2021, 06:33:39 AM
To be fair, it sounded ridiculous to me too until I read the context. He wrote a small article for NBC Think, and really he appears to just use the film to make a larger point about racism.

I'm torn on this. Pointing out the racism towards Asians is fair game as it does exist, and I'd imagine that is because of the manoeuvres made by the CCP in geo political terms. Of course that doesn't excuse racism or the victimisation of normal people.  There's a bit of sleight of hand going on in the article though where he seems to insinuate that racism all comes from "white supremacists" and "mostly white audiences" that I  think smells of shit.

Quote from: Kurt Cocaine on February 19, 2021, 06:45:00 AM
Table tennis is actually racist because you have to squint your eyes to see the wee white ball coming at you at speed.

It's also hard hitting in a literal sense.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on February 19, 2021, 06:54:28 AM
Quote from: Kurt Cocaine on February 19, 2021, 06:45:00 AM

It's also hard hitting in a literal sense.
That's white supremacy in action right there.

Quote from: Nazgûl on February 19, 2021, 06:33:39 AM

In other words, upon reading the script he thought Clint's character would be met by US audiences as a villain, aided by his racist slurs. Instead, he found that the audiences merely accepted the slurs as comic relief where he and his people were the brunt of the joke.

As he admits himself in the piece, certain Asian communities are notoriously racist towards people of African descent, but I'd say casual, garden variety racism towards Asians in the US has little to do with the CCP, which most know little to nothing about; the standard explicit vilification of the enemy in the collective US consciousness against first the Japanese, then the Koreans, then the Vietnamese did the real groundwork of ensuring that gung-ho stars and stripes flag waver types, and their offspring in turn, were highly likely to detest Asians on sight. Gran Torino kind of sets out to be an illustration of that. I guess the actor was just surprised that people found funny in the script what he thought was supposed to make them dislike Clint's character.

There's a lot of this type of stuff being discussed at the moment, for whatever it's worth. Baddiel has a new book out called Jews Don't Count which I happened to read a tiny extract of last night. He criticizes the woke collective lumping Jews, despite all the oppression an "obvious" Jew may meet in their life, in with the white-male-cis-het privilege group. Who knows where it'll all lead, but the chances of a pragmatic middle ground expanding thus reducing the extremes seems less and less likely.

A comparison can be drawn with the soundtrack to 'Romper Stomper', which contained songs ostensibly performed by some nazi punk band but were in fact created and sung by a Peter Pales and a studio band, a bunch of middle aged lefties, with the intention of acting as a warning against getting involved in extremist right wing ideology.

They were astounded, naively, when those songs had the opposite effect and are still cherished by skinheads worldwide.

I'm certain several people on this board who are not right wing in any sense or fashion could quote a few lines they were that ridiculous and catchy.