Quote from: Caomhaoin on February 19, 2021, 10:16:30 AM
A comparison can be drawn with the soundtrack to 'Romper Stomper', which contained songs ostensibly performed by some nazi punk band but were in fact created and sung by a Peter Pales and a studio band, a bunch of middle aged lefties, with the intention of acting as a warning against getting involved in extremist right wing ideology.

They were astounded, naively, when those songs had the opposite effect and are still cherished by skinheads worldwide.

I'm certain several people on this board who are not right wing in any sense or fashion could quote a few lines they were that ridiculous and catchy.

Can confirm they are ridiculously catchy and I say that as someone who abhors racism of any kind.

It also shows the dangers of that type of thing on the psyche of someone with less cop on.

"skin head, skin head , running through the night

Skin head skin head, looking for a fight".

Was that one of them?

The Romper Stomper soundtrack was brilliant. Such excellent songwriting. Got a good hoot out of the lyrics as a kid.

The lyrics are ridiculously bad  :laugh: but still if you had decent lyrics on it ala sex pistols etc you would have a great punk album.

The principal of that high school seems like a bit of a progressive legend, to be fair:
https://nypost.com/2007/10/10/pushy-principal-gets-busted-at-his-school/

He declined to comment back then too. I guess he's just smart enough not to trust tabloids!

Female security officer so there's less outrage than usual.

Quote from: Caomhaoin on February 19, 2021, 10:16:30 AM
A comparison can be drawn with the soundtrack to 'Romper Stomper', which contained songs ostensibly performed by some nazi punk band but were in fact created and sung by a Peter Pales and a studio band, a bunch of middle aged lefties, with the intention of acting as a warning against getting involved in extremist right wing ideology.

They were astounded, naively, when those songs had the opposite effect and are still cherished by skinheads worldwide.

I'm certain several people on this board who are not right wing in any sense or fashion could quote a few lines they were that ridiculous and catchy.

I used to regularly listen to that soundtrack. I was fully aware that it was "in character" and as such found much hilarity in imagining the carry on of the people who would listen to the likes of that and take it seriously. Same for anyone else I knew who watched the film or listened to the soundtrack. It was obvious that the characters were to be laughed at rather than looked up to.

That was where we were at all those years ago. Look now.

#1944 February 19, 2021, 01:10:58 PM Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 01:12:32 PM by Nazgûl
QuoteI guess the actor was just surprised that people found funny in the script what he thought was supposed to make them dislike Clint's character.

This is what I gathered too. For whatever the article is worth or not in terms of making a solid point, it goes to show that once again it's all about how this shit is reported. The article when taken at face value doesn't seem all that overblown a statement to make at all, compared to say how it looked here when somebody posted "Bee Vang, he of the Clint Eastwood movie, Gran Torino, has come out denouncing the film for its anti-Asian slurs.", where it could easily be taken as being 'woke for woke's sake'.

There's a lot of posts in this thread that are highlighting supposed instances where the world is 'perpetually offended' by something, when in reality they are stories not worth giving two shites about, are being taken well out of context from the source, or sometimes straight up hearsay.

Don't worry, it has been remarked several times that this is actually nothing more than the tabloid outrage thread, but there's nowt to be done about it!

Fair enough. I came to the forum/thread late, so obviously missed that this was pointed out.

The irony is not lost on me either when I get offended at others taking offence to things I think there is no need for

Please, point it out as many times as you like Nazgul! Who knows, maybe there's a critical mass threshold just around the corner!

I thought the purpose of this thread was to point out instances of needless offence being taken but it just grew legs. The number of pages is indicative of how much fun it is, for right or wrong