Most of those "such and such reacts" channels are shite, but there's one called "drum teacher reacts" and it's the dude who used to play with Belphegor. He just talks through the various bits, briefly talks technique, might break down a few rhythms. He's kinda clinical but chilled and knows his stuff, so listening to him break down Cassagrande was cool.

I have seen that one and, yeah, I am usually allergic to reaction videos too but he broke it all down very well. They landed on their feet when they found Eloy. I liked Dollabella too, though. He was another very heavy hitter, particualy live, even if his parts were probably the most straightforward out of the three drummers. There's little to gripe about with A-Lex. I'm a little less fond of Kairos but many seem to dig it.

Quote from: Ducky on July 20, 2020, 11:10:03 AM
Most of those "such and such reacts" channels are shite, but there's one called "drum teacher reacts" and it's the dude who used to play with Belphegor. He just talks through the various bits, briefly talks technique, might break down a few rhythms. He's kinda clinical but chilled and knows his stuff, so listening to him break down Cassagrande was cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6sfwCvQYdw
Okay, so now I will definitely check out the last couple of Sep albums!

That was sweet as a fuckin' nut. The one time I saw Sepultura live it was Dolabella playing, and he was good as an Igor stand in, at the very least, but this fella is a step above for sure.

That's the video! This lad is the perfect replacement in that he nails the old stuff with ease (there's a Sick Drummer video of him smashing through Arise - I think - and he just smashes it) but also has his own style. He's a genuine talent on the kit and one of the reasons I've become so enamoured with the last few Sep albums.

Watched that there it was highly impressive. And still sounds like Sepultura drumming, but up a notch here and there

#50 July 20, 2020, 08:11:45 PM Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 09:10:18 PM by Carnage
Anyone else notice that on the early material (up to and including Arise), Igor never hit the snare and cymbals at the same time, or rarely at least? As in he'd skip a beat on the snare if there was a cymbal hit. Always stuck out to me - not complaining, I just found it noticable in the way he played.

I've never actually noticed it as a thing, but now it has been pointed out I surely will

Quote from: Carnage on July 20, 2020, 08:11:45 PM
Anyone else notice that on the early material (up to and including Arise), Igor never hit the snare and cymbals at the same time, or rarely at least? As in he'd skip a beat on the snare if there was a cymbal hit. Always stuck out to me - not complaining, I just found it noticable in the way he played.

Interesting. I'm far from a sound engineer but when recording and snare and cymbal are.hit at the same time, often there can be too much going on, one bleeds into the other. I'd say it's more his style but it would add to an explanation of why his drums sound so fkn class.

I always thought he was hitting the cymbaks with his snare hand, but when I gave some of the songs in question a go, it was difficult enough, if not impossible, to get from A to B and back again and keep time when I tried it. Just his style at the time I expect, and I don't think he does it anymore.

1min 20 into this and you can see why all the kvlt lads still worship early Seps. I can't really make out what's going on but that burning upside down cross looks incredible with the band underneath it, bearing in mind it's 1986.

https://youtu.be/FGVaUcrvFJo

As for Igor, good spot! Always loved his drumming, that's the way a lad should be hitting stuff, none of your tappy tappy shite

https://youtu.be/IKzfMiQaJws

Stuck on Under Siege there for the first time since I bought the DVD. Jaysus, decent telly and a soundbar make a huge difference. It was always good but 'tis a wee bit better now.

Quote from: Pedrito on July 20, 2020, 11:25:09 PM
As for Igor, good spot! Always loved his drumming, that's the way a lad should be hitting stuff, none of your tappy tappy shite

https://youtu.be/IKzfMiQaJws

Putting the 'hi' into hi-hat, it's almost at his eye level!

Im really late to the party on Sepultura. In younger days I heard the track "Roots" which I know to be their biggest track and that it was dirt. Then I heard a load of soulfy and was told it was the guy from Sepultura, was just lazy and never ventured any further. Have started getting bet into chaos ad. Have to say though none of the guitar work has blown me away, just the songs have been good and the drumming is amazing. What album should I venture to next. Might just go in order from 1.
Play the Academy July 13th

Quote from: StrangersWithGuns on July 24, 2020, 12:13:12 PM
Im really late to the party on Sepultura. In younger days I heard the track "Roots" which I know to be their biggest track and that it was dirt. Then I heard a load of soulfy and was told it was the guy from Sepultura, was just lazy and never ventured any further. Have started getting bet into chaos ad. Have to say though none of the guitar work has blown me away, just the songs have been good and the drumming is amazing. What album should I venture to next. Might just go in order from 1.
Beneath The Remains, then on to Arise.
I'd then start with the new album Quadra (2020) and work your way back with all the Derrick Green (vocals) stuff.
The very first two albums aren't really worth checking out imho....