Monkhouse were fantastic, that whole era was brilliant for Punk in Ireland, you had bands like Bambi, Stricknien DC, The Steam Pig, Skint, loads and loads of talent. Im sure its great now I'm just at the age where I dont get out much now and I'm out of the scene a bit

The first pink gig I was at was the Striknien DC/ Monkhouse split release gig in the Ormond in 96. Stomach, Skint and Nappyrash played too if I remember correctly.  The mid- late 90s was savage for punk gigs.  I went to loads up in Slattery's back then.

I too would be interested in getting a few recommendations of newer punk stuff as another poster pointed out I'm old and out of touch. The only recent Oi bands I know of would be of the RAC variety and probably not suitable for this forum😉.
Good to see a few shouts for Monkhouse, class band but not a patch on Striknein DC, who's records are as essential as Irish punk gets imo.

Striknien remain the top of the pile indeed,  but Monkhouse are a close second.

Anyone into Knifed? Mero from the Secret book and record shop/Rejected Records band. Pretty vicious hardcore in the day, also put out stuff by Monkhouse, Scientific Bong, Bastard Youth etc . This is EireCore!

Quote from: Eoin McLove on January 16, 2020, 12:38:07 PM
Striknien remain the top of the pile indeed,  but Monkhouse are a close second.

Yeah two class bands, monk house were very different to Stricknien. Mero funded and supported the scene for a long time and his rejected releases were top class and help bands a lot. I was at the Ormond gig, there were a few there, they had a skate board ramp in the venue during one of the gigs which was brilliant. You also had places like Charlies, the Attic and the Old China man were they were some amazing gigs.

https://vimeo.com/311727598
Found this and its new enough. Raw and nasty, the Finnish way. Think it may have Goatmoon members involved.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on January 16, 2020, 12:01:12 PM
The first pink gig I was at was the Striknien DC/ Monkhouse split release gig in the Ormond in 96. Stomach, Skint and Nappyrash played too if I remember correctly.  The mid- late 90s was savage for punk gigs.  I went to loads up in Slattery's back then.

I was at that myself, great night. Have the CD around somewhere. Slattery's was great for gigs alright, was at a great one there for a Ruts tribute CD release. Anyone else brave The Chinaman back in the day?

Quote from: Carnage on January 16, 2020, 02:07:14 PM

I was at that myself, great night. Have the CD around somewhere. Slattery's was great for gigs alright, was at a great one there for a Ruts tribute CD release. Anyone else brave The Chinaman back in the day?

went most weeks saw some amazing gigs there and it was a great place to drink, loved the place. The fox and pheasant had some amazing gigs too. Where are punk gigs happening now in town?

I've dug a lot of the stuff from the youtube channel No Deal, pretty much all modern undergroundish stuff.
Some selections:
Electric Chair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6eG84V78oc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HI8gIJDbzA

Man Eaters - Demo 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwGrFMkx3Hs

Impalers - Celler Dweller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyrxi4FPdOg

Quote from: Doctor Crippen on January 16, 2020, 04:32:18 PM

went most weeks saw some amazing gigs there and it was a great place to drink, loved the place. The fox and pheasant had some amazing gigs too. Where are punk gigs happening now in town?

Couldn't tell you, I moved out of Dublin years ago, it must be 20 years since I was at a punk gig there.

Not up on the scene at all these days. Found a load of old Bad Religion albums in the attic recently and gave them a blast. 'How could he'll be any worse?'  is great. Much more raw than what came after. Was mad into them in the 90s. Love 'No Control' .
Only punk I listen to these days is Rudimentary Peni.

Quote from: M.Hopkins on January 16, 2020, 07:56:44 PM
Not up on the scene at all these days. Found a load of old Bad Religion albums in the attic recently and gave them a blast. 'How could he'll be any worse?'  is great. Much more raw than what came after. Was mad into them in the 90s. Love 'No Control' .
Only punk I listen to these days is Rudimentary Peni.

Love that bad religion album, wasn't into anything after that. Having been listening to a lot of crass, coitus and gorilla biscuits this week.

Quote from: Doctor Crippen on January 16, 2020, 04:32:18 PM

Dropdead twice on Francis Street seems to have fair few punk gigs.

I was at that Ruts tribute,  too.  I had that comp a good few years before actually buying a Ruts CD.  Cracking stuff.