Real shame. Seemed like such a cool and nice fellow and had a real shit run of luck with his wife and daughter dying in the 90s. The gig in the O2 was one of the best I've ever been at, all 3 hours of it and despite apprehension towards a 10 minute drum solo, when I heard about it, it flew by and killed.

Yeah, just watched this a few days ago, came across as a very cool fella.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_mKr28G7og

I only got into them when Rush In Rio came out, having been put off giving them a listen by the drummers I knew who were heavily influenced by him but he was always musical in a way many of his disciples were not, which made me dig his playing even more.

Cool interview. Such a nice fella.

Brilliant drummer and was lucky enough to see him in action with Rush in Dublin years ago.
RIP.

I don't think there's any rock drummers that can compare to him, absolute legend. Feel lucky I managed to see them in Dublin, easily one if the greatest gigs I've ever been ti

Quote from: open face surgery on January 10, 2020, 09:44:43 PM
Real shame. Seemed like such a cool and nice fellow and had a real shit run of luck with his wife and daughter dying in the 90s. The gig in the O2 was one of the best I've ever been at, all 3 hours of it and despite apprehension towards a 10 minute drum solo, when I heard about it, it flew by and killed.

One of the standout memories of my life is seeing that drum solo in the O2 from about 10 feet away. You could literally walk up to the stage thst night. Was completely locked and sang every word of every song they played that night. Rush held such a special place in my life at one point that it's almost impossible to put into words. I used watch his drum instructional video over and over again, despite never playing the instrument myself. I have no idea what that connection between a listener/supporter/fan and the artist/creator is, or means, but some people/artists take on a hugely significant role in your life, you empathise with them and build your own image of them in your mind. Neal Peart was one of them artists who impacted me profoundly in his lyrics  his story, his interests, his personality and his musicianship. What that ultimately means, I have no idea, but I was in a bar tonight, read the news and asked the barman to play some Rush. Sad that such an incredible human being is gone and grateful for all them drum rolls and rhythms and beats and ideas and emotions etc. Few drinks in me here..sad, sad news.

Damn, one of my favourite musicians and definitely my favourite lyricist.

Was also at the 2011 gig and it really was one of those events you'll never forget. And Clockwork Angels is honestly top five in their discog for me.

I've started my run-through of the discography this evening, but their music means so much to me that's a regular occurrence anyway.

RIP fella, "the point of the journey is not to arrive".

As I said, it was Rush in Rio which was my gateway in. The scuzzy sound and heavier set worked for me. The Boys in Brazil mini doc on the dvd opened my eyes to how sound the three of them were while the set list showed how wrong I had been not giving them a chance earlier. I started collecting the discography, his lyrics being one of the many things which drove on to the next album. The gig in the Point was utter class, there is no denying it (Subdivisions ffs). They're a band with no bad albums.

Rush in Rio is the one which gets me every time, still. After what he went through, to stop playing and then come back to this standard is just incredible. The shots from behind his kit of the sea of people going nuts hit hard last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eSlvoO3Vw8

I'm absolutely gutted, heartbroken.

"Suddenly you were gone, From all the lives you left your mark upon"  :(

Really sad news. Love Rush. What a musician!

#13 January 11, 2020, 10:53:02 AM Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 11:02:53 AM by Pedrito
Quote from: Juggz on January 11, 2020, 07:40:59 AM
As I said, it was Rush in Rio which was my gateway in. The scuzzy sound and heavier set worked for me. The Boys in Brazil mini doc on the dvd opened my eyes to how sound the three of them were while the set list showed how wrong I had been not giving them a chance earlier. I started collecting the discography, his lyrics being one of the many things which drove on to the next album. The gig in the Point was utter class, there is no denying it (Subdivisions ffs). They're a band with no bad albums.

Rush in Rio is the one which gets me every time, still. After what he went through, to stop playing and then come back to this standard is just incredible. The shots from behind his kit of the sea of people going nuts hit hard last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eSlvoO3Vw8

Agree with everything you're saying about Rush in Rio. They really captured something very special in that dvd. The energy just jumps out of the screen at you. When I heard Earthshine for the first time on it, I was floored. What a song, possibly one of my favourites by them. Very sad to see such a force of nature of a man go but what a life to have lived. Incredible really.

Was just reading there that he married again and had another daughter in 2009. He really rebuilt his life after everything that happened him. A true hero's journey. I actually never read his book about travelling around America on motorbike to get over the grief of losing his wife and daughter in a short space of time. Will order that today.

More of a casual Rush fan if I'm honest but this is a real loss. Incredible drummer and fantastic lyricist. Watching the documentary this morning in tribute