From their weird dark/gothic or whatever phase. Bought it as a teenager, totally disgusted when I heard the synths and clean vocals, that didn't last long though.
I recently went back to it after not listening to it for years, its fucking great, full of atmosphere.  Probably better than 'A dead poem', and still holds up today.
Vocals are perfect too.

100% Agree, even regarding the synths - horrified when I heard this first!

It was some shock, I knew a couple of songs and they were headlining Day of Darkness 2005, so I wanted to become more familiar.  Bought it in the music shop in Carlow and fired it into the discman on the bus home. Gutted I had just dropped about 20 quid on some bad Rammstein ripoff, from a band called ROTTING CHRIST  :-[

Those two gothic albums are great. At the time maybe not so much for those of us who followed them from their first few releases- but they are beauties. Much better than career lows maybe like Sanctus or Aealo in my opinion...

Triarchy of the Lost Lovers, A Dead Poem, Sleep of the Angels and Khronos are my Rotting Christ go to albums. Love them all, even though I though Khronos was shit when it came out. Haven't really given any time to anything since then.

Love most of their stuff,but those gothic albums would probably be my least favourite.Thy mighty,Triarchy, and  Sanctus Diavolous are the albums i reach for the most.

Septic Flesh went down  Gothic road around the same time too,Nightfall too i would say.

I never listened to any of their gothic period material. Not because I dislike that music, I just never got round to checking any of it out. There always seemed to be something more interesting to listen to.

I do love the early albums, Thy Mighty Contract in particular, and some of the later ones are very good.

That whole weird goth era was terrible, and i could never really get into their later albums. Non Serviam and Thy Mighty Contract is where its at for me. Picked up their Greatest Spells best of recently and it confirms this.

Heard that track 'Der Perfeckt Traum' on a metal hammer CD when I was very young and thought it was cool, but I never ended up getting the album.  I was quite shocked by what I heard when I finally did buy one of their albums!

Quote from: Weltenfeind on December 03, 2018, 11:15:57 PM
Non Serviam and Thy Mighty Contract is where its at for me.

Aye, that and Passage to Arcturo. Could never stick anything by them after that.

Interesting to read some of the posts here as I'm the complete opposite. I'm a big fan of their newer stuff and never really bothered with the older albums.

I got into them when Theogonia came out and it's still a regular play for me.

Quote from: Hambeast on December 04, 2018, 10:38:33 PM
I got into them when Theogonia came out and it's still a regular play for me.
Had that on in the car the other day actually, some great tracks on there. Keravnos Kivernitos is a deadly tune.

Theogonia is a great album actually.I think the big problem with Rc they have a lot of albums that are very samey ,reminds me a bit like Vader.

Everything up tp Sleep of the Angels is mint! I agree that some of the albums after that sound very alike and I'm not expecting much of this new album either, but apart from "Genesis", there's no album I actually dislike.

Vader are definitely guilty of sameyness. Rotting do have a touch of that, not to the same degree though. Hard to be totally original after all these years when they have their own style too tho....