Untouchable live sound. Jaysus my auld lad would roast the ear off ya via PM if he were a member here 😂

Quote from: ldj on October 24, 2024, 06:24:47 PMDeep Purple - Burn

Controversial one, but while it seems they have become a little bit forgotten when compared to the legacies of their peers in Sabbath and Zeppelin...would it be fair to say when it comes to the recordings Deep Purple were able to capture a much more energetic/lively sound on record compared to them? Don't get me wrong both were a bit more consistent in their output than Deep Purple, but the sound on DP's stuff is amazing for the period, even Lizzy a couple of years later were never quite able to capture the power of their live sound on record.

Also, metal needs more organs imo.

Never heard a DP record from that era that didn't sound class.

I also think Ian Paice was a much better drummer than the likes of Bonham and Moon. He had a fluidity to his playing the others didn't. Probably prefer him to Ward and Downey too to be honest.

Warlust - Sol Invictvs In Vmbrae Satanae
Abhorration - Demonolatry
Master's Hammer - Finished CD3
Aura Noir - Hades Rise (found this cheap on eBay so thought why not - not as ferocious as the other albums I have, but it definitely has some great riffs).
Iron Maiden - No Prayer for the Dying
Blood Incantation - Absolute Elsewhere
Anathema - Serenades
Desaster - Satan's Soldiers Syndicate (this title has always confused me).

Godflesh - Pure

The perfect soundtrack to walking to work in the dark streets this morning.

Deathspell Omega - Chaining The Katechon

Has there ever been a band as genuinely unsettling ?

Earlier on Belenos - Argoat , French BM
Now , Mourning Beloveth - Rust & Bone, in a hardcover Digipak on rough, solid-colored cartonstock with a silver hotfoil embossing (tnx Discogs)  some epic riffs in The Mantle Tomb, 3rd track

Black Curse - Burning in Celestial Poison.

Only one proper listen so far, and it sounds absolutely feral.

Listened to the first song which bored the bollocks clean off me.

Type O Negative: October Rust

An obvious mention for the month that's in it but so much genius here, pick any song.

Devin Townsend - Powernerd

Had this on all day, I'll admit to being a complete fanboy for his stuff but this is probably my favourite since Epicloud. Cuts out a lot of the ambient/meandering passages and sticks to just really good short pop/rock songs. It's basically Addicted 2

Quote from: Trev on October 25, 2024, 10:07:29 PMDevin Townsend - Powernerd

Had this on all day, I'll admit to being a complete fanboy for his stuff but this is probably my favourite since Epicloud. Cuts out a lot of the ambient/meandering passages and sticks to just really good short pop/rock songs. It's basically Addicted 2
Also a fanboy lol but the last few albums did little for me so I wasn't in a rush to check this out, will give it a spin next week though.
Quote from: leatherface on October 25, 2024, 09:40:41 PMType O Negative: October Rust

An obvious mention for the month that's in it but so much genius here, pick any song.
One of the best ever.

Gorod - The Orb
Gorod - Aethra
Replicant - Maligant Reality
Wilderun - Epigone
Shaolin Death Squad - Intelligent Design (the absolute stank of Mike Patton off the vocals)

#14712 Today at 04:32:24 AM Last Edit: Today at 04:35:03 AM by Thorn
Runemagick - Enter The Realm Of Death 9/10
I've championed Runemagick and this album in particular before on here and it's a regular on the turn table at this time of year.

Skelethal - Unveiling The Threshold 8/10
Skelethal have found more of their own identity on this years's release but back here in 2020 this was as good an approximation of Left Hand Path as you could wish to hear.

Obliveon - Fiction Of Veracity 7/10
1989 demo just received the vinyl treatment from Floga Records, a pioneering effort that sounds like a hybrid of Nocturnus, Voivod and Athiest.I

Animalize - The Meat We're Made Of 7/10
'22 Debut from French Trad Metallers, their upbeat, uptempo approach and vocals are very reminiscent of Enforcer. Decent stuff, dodgy cover.

Jenner - Prove Them Wrong 7/10
Took a punt on this in a recent Xtreem Records order, new release this year from the Serbian all female band that runs the gamut from Hard Rock and Heavy Metal to Thrash. Not a bad wee listen at all.

Slayer - God Hates Us All 4/10
After gorging on 'Decade..' last week I got this dumbed down mess of an album out to balance the books somewhat. Actually don't mind the music so much but the lyrics and tedious delivery are an abomination. Unless you're an angry young man in your bedroom or a U.S. military platoon I suppose.
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

A bit too fucked and enjoying some Japanese cultural appropriation from Finland

Motorhead - Bomber
Anciients - Beyond the Reach of the Sun
Grand Magus - Sunraven
Abhorration - Demonolatry
Demon Spell - Evil Nights
Sabbat - Black Up Your Soul