Quote from: Juggz on September 23, 2020, 09:30:12 AM
Ah come on, now. They were "left with no option". The fans didn't try hard enough, didn't dig deep enough, with the band having investigated and exhausted every possible alternative. And so it comes to this, the indefinite hiatus, the most ignominious of hiatusseses. This morning should be filled with reflection, each of us asking ourselves "What more could I have done to prevent this?" With family like these fans, who needs enemies?
How deep were your pockets blud?

Didntvthey lose a packet when their tour had to he cancelled? And a fund raiser yoke was set up to help them recoup? Or am I thinking of someone else?

If so, then the announcement is probably out of courtesy to those that trumped up some cash for them.

Still... a shame to see a band of their longevity have to step down. For the time being, anyway. I'm sure they'll be back again.

#17 September 23, 2020, 10:28:05 AM Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 10:29:49 AM by StoutAndAle
Quote from: astfgyl on September 22, 2020, 09:00:19 PM
'Nathema!...  Family!!.......

Papa Cav in great form

Quote from: Eoin McLove on September 22, 2020, 08:23:30 PM
It's to let you know that they are lowering themselves to do a day's work.  Which is sad.

:'(

:laugh:

Would bands of Anathema's size (I know very little about them) not have to work a day job anyway?

I started to wonder that about a lot of mid-level bands in the metal, punk etc. scene. Can these bands generate enough revenue to not have to work the rest of the year. I read somewhere a while back that Brent Hinds from Mastodon claimed that he would have to go back to being a roofing carpenter with his old man in between albums/tours until "Crack The Skye" came out such was the low level of the band's income.

Quote from: jobrok1 on September 23, 2020, 10:17:49 AM
Didntvthey lose a packet when their tour had to he cancelled? And a fund raiser yoke was set up to help them recoup? Or am I thinking of someone else?

If so, then the announcement is probably out of courtesy to those that trumped up some cash for them.

Still... a shame to see a band of their longevity have to step down. For the time being, anyway. I'm sure they'll be back again.
I don't know how much they lost but they got over 20k on their go fund me page.

A streamed gig would have been a nice especially when a lot of bands were doing free online gigs over the summer but maybe it wasnt possibly for them as I dont know if they are all living in the same country these days?

Shit buzz, that after 30 years you're still not in a position to be able to deal with a bad financial year.

Yeah, minimum wage workers everywhere must be beside themselves

Quote from: Emphyrio on September 23, 2020, 10:56:07 AM
Shit buzz, that after 30 years you're still not in a position to be able to deal with a bad financial year.

Not defending them, just thinking what financial turmoil I would be in after  six months out of work.

Ya, regular folk would be goosed. But they were regular tourers with decent festival slots. Lots of music can be done online, not really sure a hiatus needed to be announced. Danny is a bit of a moaner though and wanted a pity party.