February 24, 2023, 11:21:57 AM Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 11:51:17 AM by Eoin McLove

https://youtu.be/vy_v5eYssSc

This demo from another Norwegian Vemod who existed in the 90s is being reissued by NWN. I have it on here now and it sounds good to me. Very prominent keyboard ala Gehenna/ early Dimmu Borgir, clickety clackety sounding drums and vocals that remind me a bit of the dude on the Geasa demo. It sounds right up my street. I think I'll add this to the few purchases I'll make this year.

I think it's the song Vixi that has really jumped out at me. So cold and funereal and gothic with the female vocals throughout. Sounds like a perfect counterpart to Svartsyn's Aandens Melankoli. Could add Strid and Manes to the list I think.

#1 February 24, 2023, 01:16:29 PM Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 01:29:37 PM by mickO)))
Edit

#2 February 24, 2023, 01:19:46 PM Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 01:29:29 PM by mickO)))
Got the email about this during the week but was disappointed when I saw the year the demo was released and realised it wasn't the real Vemod.

Edit: double post after I noticed an error.

There is a new Vemod (the other one) album on the way for a long time now and I'm looking forward to it. But to be honest, this Vemod are scratching a particular itch that I'm after these days so I'm looking forward to grabbing a copy of this when it's out. The second half of the demo sounds particularly enticing to me. It has a funereal, gothic and obscure vibe that is hitting the spot quite nicely.

The Dark Sonority full length was only around the corner when I saw them at NBM V in 2015 and The Mare EP with Sort Messe was suppose to come out not too long after the debut was released in 2018. Neither have appeared and I recently saw Ole say recording has still not even started on either of these releases so I am not holding out hope for the new Vemod. I doubt we will ever see the Black Majesty full length either as I haven't seen anyone mention them in years.

I will check this demo out when I get a chance.

This has nothing to do with Terratur or any of those bands. They also predate the other Vemod by several years.

I know that I was talking about the first sentence in your post where you said the other Vemod has a new album coming out and I was pointing the history with delays behind the releases that some of these lads are involved in. I know other than sharing the name this demo being reissued has absolutely nothing got to do with those bands.

#7 February 24, 2023, 11:16:39 PM Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 12:00:06 AM by Eoin McLove
Ok cool. Let's talk about Vemod 98  ;)

Edit. I just had another listen and I feel a little obsession growing here. Superb release. I hope there's a decent inlay with some info on the band inside. I'll have to check out the other associated projects as well.

I'm taken aback by the lack of buzz for this. I thought it would appeal to plenty of heads here who like obscure BM oddities from the past. You're letting yourselves down here, lads. I'm disappointed  :(

#9 April 27, 2023, 09:59:25 PM Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 02:13:44 AM by Eoin McLove
Listened to this one twice in a row on the way to work. It's so good. The third song,  Vixi, is like something from The Second Ring of Power- very eerie and catchy. Then the opening riff in the fourth song is savage. Like a classical piano piece adapted for guitar, raw as fuck. The cold, stark atmosphere is spot on across the whole demo.

Had a quick listen there. Sounds shite if you ask me haha

Listening to it now, Christ it's good. The keys are really jarring, black metal set to a backdrop of church organ - it shouldn't work but I'm enjoying the shit out of it. Great use of the acoustic guitar too. Will definitely pick up a copy.

Yeah the prominence of the keys works for me. For a snappy little demo it has a lot of variety.