Show posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - 91/30

1
General Discussion / Re: Led Zeppelin
Today at 06:01:43 AM
Quote from: nimhiúil on Today at 02:02:44 AMI'm drinking heavily thinking of my auld lad but lads Achilles Last Stand is the greatest song of all time.

They deserve their own thread.

I'm a Zeppelin 3 guy usually.

Presence is one of the few Led Zep albums i go back to, thats a great opening track.
2
General Discussion / Re: Non Metal Now Listening
October 01, 2026, 11:46:40 AM
On CD

Patrick Cassidy - Famine Remembrance

Patrick Cassidy - The Children of Lir

Talking to my Austrian neighbour afterwards he asked me what I was playing ['Famine Remembrance']  he was listening and enjoying it while hanging out the washing

3
General Discussion / Re: Tips for better living
October 01, 2026, 11:37:07 AM
Quote from: The Butcher on October 01, 2026, 09:38:58 AM
Quote from: 91/30 on September 24, 2026, 11:33:38 AM
Quote from: The Butcher on September 21, 2026, 10:37:34 PMI remember my bro being out at Mount Isa, had to eat salt vinegar crisps to stop the heat headaches  :laugh:

I've done plenty of work in Mount Isa, I was working in nearby Cloncurry earlier this year they have a massive Irish Club in Mt  Iss, seriously impressive, nightclub, 4 bars, three restaurants, accommodation a gym...haha.  Mount Isa could be 40C but as its a fair way inland the humidity is lower than coastal regions which makes it more tolerable.  'Salt and vinegar crisps' for the heatstroke, must have been for the salt, that's a good one!

Yeah the crisps were for the salt intake  :laugh: it's a mad place from what I heard. Mayor 10 years ago was always on about building the place up and making it more than just another mining town etc - Think the mine there is closing up within the few years? That will be a massive hit to the whole survival of the place, be interesting to see what happens. Remember my bro talking about dogs getting lead poisoning on their walks  ???  https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S2214790X20302938

He also used to go to some club/pub bring his guitar and sing some GNR, Nirvana etc, people if they want could pop up on stage and go behind the drums or nab a inhouse guitar/bass and join in/wing it, sent some videos over to me, was pretty cool.


The Irish club is just up the road from the smelter.  The smelter is one side of the town, it dominates the whole surrounding countryside, there is or was a school directly facing the place. I looked at that article - "Regular wiping of floor and surfaces in houses is encouraged to minimise lead ingestion by children"...shocking stuff.

If the mine closes they'll be nothing there, itll be reclaimed by nature in no time. 

There is an abandoned Uranium mine outside the town, big hole in the ground, you can walk down to the bottom of the pit, it has a crystal clear pond, too much radiation for anything to grow in it,for years I had a few Uranium rock samples from there, it oxidises green so looks lovely 😄

One of the ould fellas I work with brought a piece of uranium ore the size of a human head, all the way back to NSW on the floor of the work vehicle 😄

I'm on the asbestos exposure register from a job I done up in Mt Isa years ago so the bit of lead poisoning is probably mixing with the ould asbestos.   What a kip of a town.
4
General Discussion / Re: Tips for better living
September 25, 2026, 07:16:21 AM
Quote from: Eoin McLove on September 24, 2026, 01:55:57 PM121. If you're fed up trying to figure out which shoes to buy, just chop all your toes off and have yourself shod by the local farrier.

I miss seeing the odd issue of Viz in newsagents around these parts.  Nothing but greeting cards, ornaments and lotto tickets these days
5
General Discussion / Re: Tips for better living
September 24, 2026, 11:37:12 AM
Quote from: mickO))) on September 21, 2026, 09:55:35 PMMy mate moved from Sydney to Brisbane about 3 weeks ago and he works as an electrician. I can't wait now for all the voice messages from him moaning and whinging about the heat when he's at work.

Up in a roofspace, covered in ceramic wool in a Queensland summer, I wouldn't be able for it
6
General Discussion / Re: Tips for better living
September 24, 2026, 11:33:38 AM
Quote from: The Butcher on September 21, 2026, 10:37:34 PMI remember my bro being out at Mount Isa, had to eat salt vinegar crisps to stop the heat headaches  :laugh:

I've done plenty of work in Mount Isa, I was working in nearby Cloncurry earlier this year they have a massive Irish Club in Mt  Iss, seriously impressive, nightclub, 4 bars, three restaurants, accommodation a gym...haha.  Mount Isa could be 40C but as its a fair way inland the humidity is lower than coastal regions which makes it more tolerable.  'Salt and vinegar crisps' for the heatstroke, must have been for the salt, that's a good one!
7
General Discussion / Re: Tips for better living
September 07, 2026, 09:00:35 AM
Quote from: Mithrandir on September 06, 2026, 02:48:30 AM
Quote from: 91/30 on September 05, 2026, 05:12:33 AM
Quote from: Eoin McLove on September 04, 2026, 10:20:38 PMWhereabouts in Aus are you?



Gold Coast

I'm down in the Gold Coast today actually, it's a warm one 🥵.

I'm working outdoors in Brisbane so similar heat to you and it's already a bit warm for me. People keep laughing at me when I say it's hot out, saying "you haven't seen anything yet, wait for summer" which has me nervous. We arrived just after summer this year and it was cooking then, satan help me.  :-[


You've done the right thing to be here a bit early to get a chance to acclimatise.  Over the years there are plenty of stories of northern Europeans dropping dead when they arrive out here in December or January and go out working in it. I was home a few years ago and my father said to me something along the lines of "you drink a lot of water", after so many years im in the habit here of drinking plenty of water before the thirst kicks in. I haven't fainted [so far] but I've been nauseous and had heart palpations from working out in it.  I was on a job for 2 years thats just finishing and 2 fellas died on it from heat, one of them was a fuckin Samoan. 
I had an engineer from south India working alongside me on a job on the rail corridor for the Gold Coast light rail, middle of the day, late December, 40 degrees.  There were a few poles alongside the track and yer man was standing in the 10cm wide shadow cast by the sun and shuffling bit by bit to stay in that bit of shade.  I didn't have that luxury I was down on my hunkers on the ballast working away.....I should have paid more attention when I was in the Vocational School 😄 🤣
8
General Discussion / Re: Tips for better living
September 05, 2026, 06:08:21 AM
Quote from: Eoin McLove on September 05, 2026, 05:16:55 AMAh nice. I haven't been up the way yet.

To be honest if I wasn't tied down here Id move to Melbourne, or Tasmania even, summer temperatures for a tradesman out in it all day are getting harder to stick as I get older. Buried an old friend a few weeks ago, gone before his time from Melanoma, he spent years getting burned, loved the heat, you'd see him with white circles around the eyes where the safety glasses had absorbed the UV, the rest of his face red / black like the divil
9
General Discussion / Re: Tips for better living
September 05, 2026, 05:12:33 AM
Quote from: Eoin McLove on September 04, 2026, 10:20:38 PMWhereabouts in Aus are you?



Gold Coast
10
General Discussion / Re: Tips for better living
September 04, 2026, 01:48:57 PM
Quote from: 91/30 on September 04, 2026, 01:46:25 PM
Quote from: moose on September 03, 2026, 03:18:51 PM
Quote from: Eoin McLove on June 21, 2024, 01:39:46 AM71. If you hate your job, or indeed your entire life, just learn to whistle. Everything is better when you're whistling.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e37bWhZOg1o
Quote from: moose on September 03, 2026, 03:18:51 PM
Quote from: Eoin McLove on June 21, 2024, 01:39:46 AM71. If you hate your job, or indeed your entire life, just learn to whistle. Everything is better when you're whistling.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e37bWhZOg1o

True story from last week, I was in an engineering workshop i go to from time to time looking at some equipment and one of the welders who I've spoken to a few times and who is from the north of England whistles continuously/ loudly / all the fuckin time.  Must drive his work mates mental except he's a hell of a nice fella so they put up with it.  For example when I turned up, he was whistling along loudly to every note of a Davy Spillane uileann pipe tune he was playing on his Bluetooth speaker.....that also played at full blast.  Next song was 'No Limits' by 2Unlimited  so he whistled all of that .....and so on....haha  a complete lunatic.  This is going on in a typical Australian workplace, a welding and machining workshop with workers from all over the world
11
General Discussion / Re: Tips for better living
September 04, 2026, 01:46:25 PM
Quote from: moose on September 03, 2026, 03:18:51 PM
Quote from: Eoin McLove on June 21, 2024, 01:39:46 AM71. If you hate your job, or indeed your entire life, just learn to whistle. Everything is better when you're whistling.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e37bWhZOg1o
Quote from: moose on September 03, 2026, 03:18:51 PM
Quote from: Eoin McLove on June 21, 2024, 01:39:46 AM71. If you hate your job, or indeed your entire life, just learn to whistle. Everything is better when you're whistling.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e37bWhZOg1o

True story from last week, I was in an engineering workshop i go to from time to time looking at some equipment and one of the welders who I've spoken to a few times and who is from the north of England whistles continuously/ loudly / all the fuckin time.  Must drive his work mates mental except he's a hell of a nice fella so they put up with it.  For example when I turned up, he was whistling along loudly to every note of a Davy Spillane uileann pipe tune he was playing on his Bluetooth speaker.....that also played at full blast.  Next song was 'No Limits' by 2Unlimited  so he whistled all of that .....and so on....haha  a complete lunatic.  This is going on in a typical Australian workplace, a welding and machining workshop with workers from all over the world
12
General Discussion / Re: Non Metal Now Listening
September 04, 2026, 01:24:04 PM
The Ducky Boys - Dark Days, American punk rock the way i like it
13
Celtic Legacy - Resurrection still gets played a few times a year. Has there been an Irish power metal band as good or comparable to them?

https://celticlegacy.bandcamp.com/album/resurrection-deluxe-edition
14
Quote from: astfgyl on August 29, 2026, 05:00:57 PMJesus that's fucking depraved stuff altogether. Is that actually what they're promoting seriously?

Yes unfortunately.  https://alcireland.ie/events/vgXmMqIczz2txISSbvcf

15
The ould Breast feeding conference in Galway cancelled one of the guest experts. They were hosting Jacob Engelsman who 'provided lactation support for gender-diverse families' or those who get the horn by having a baby suckling on their man boobs.  "Inducing Lactation for Kinksters" was his presentation for those headers.  Enoch Burke will be happy 😊