Any drummers on here? I used to play drums as a third instrument. I was never that good, to be honest. I only started because me and my mates wanted to start a band in the 90's and couldn't find someone who would play really, really slow, but I enjoyed it and it was great as a song-writing tool over the years. I sold them because of the missus but, now that she's gone, I'm getting the urge to play again.

I had an old Pearl Export kit and am looking to find something second hand in the €500 area, hopefully with cymbals, even cheap ones which I can upgrade over time, but I'd like to get as close to a full kit as I can with as little grief as possible. It's not an area I've kept abreast of but I'm open to different brands, so what are decent alternatives to the Export?

Spoilt for choice these days, quality of entry level kits from 20 plus years ago is outstanding.
Mapex, Tama, Pearl, Natal etc. Yamaha Rydeen is rock solid, entry level. Very impressive.
Recommend going down the second hand route, although Music Maker have a sale on soon.

You'll get fleeced on cymbals, purchase a cheap starter set Paiste 101 – Andertons.

Most importantly is quality heads, knowing how to tune and how you strike the drums.
Electric Six play here every year, stock Pearl Export, stock snare. Sounds killer.

Cheers man. Yeah, I remember the expense of getting decent cymbals together the first time. I still have my old Sabian HH ride, could never find anyone to buy it when I was selling the old kit. If I have money left over after picking up a kit, the next expense will be on new heads, for sure.

Only really playing in the house these days, but I did get a 1976 Ludwig Supraphonic for recording purposes about 18 months ago.  Sounds like a shotgun.  Vintage Suprahonics and Acrolites can be had for really very little money and sound the business.

Adverts.ie is your new friend. I got a kit worth 3500 for a grand on it.
A second hand Export in good condition will be around 250 to 300 euro. Do not pay anymore than that.
Alternatives are Mapex, Sonor and Tama but if you're starting out an Export is the job.

Cymbals once again adverts, pick up some sabian B8's or Paiste 101's. Dirt cheap on adverts. Get hats and 2 crashes for about a 100.

Next heads. If you have 3 toms you're looking at around 100 euro for brand new heads for the 3 toms.
Get single ply for the bottom head and double ply for the top head. The bottom head should be tuned a bit higher than the top head.
Now you can tune them same but to cut out some of the resonance that's the way to go.
Once you put on a head get the lugs finger tight and then tighten with a drum key in quarter intervals. About a full and a half turn on top and you should be good to go. There's loads of tuning manuals online. When you're starting off don't worry too much just practice away.

Any other questions shout away.

Im selling a bunch of starter cymbals on Adverts actually if yer interested ( they're in Cork area)... see https://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_flosskkii/

john

Cheers, got a nice deal on an Export with a mix of Sabian XS20 and AAs plus a couple of Zildjians included in the end. Still had my old HH ride, couldn't sell it without degrading myself, so happy days now. Actually, I need a couple more cymbal stands if you're selling any  :laugh:

Quote from: Floss on January 07, 2020, 01:23:50 PM
Im selling a bunch of starter cymbals on Adverts actually if yer interested ( they're in Cork area)... see https://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_flosskkii/

john

They're in really good condition. Now don't shoot me but the hats and ride are ok value but you might want to take a tenner off the crashes as you can get them new for only 10 euro more than your asking price. Or you can tell me to feck off. Also they might shift quicker if you sell them in 2 packs.

Hard to wrong with a Pearl Export. I've 2 sets I use as the House kit for the Siege and other gigs in Limerick. They're absolute workhorses. I often record on them as well and use them for rehearsals. They still sound great after years of abuse.

Adverts is great for hardware. Stands and thrones can be silly expensive new for ones of decent build quality but don't hold a lot of resale value. I bought a job lot with 7 Pearl stands, a hi hat stand, a few tom arms and a few cases for 200 a while back and there's usually similar deals to be had all the time.

Quote from: Juggz on November 19, 2019, 11:17:08 AM
Cheers man. Yeah, I remember the expense of getting decent cymbals together the first time. I still have my old Sabian HH ride, could never find anyone to buy it when I was selling the old kit. If I have money left over after picking up a kit, the next expense will be on new heads, for sure.

tama/pearl only good after a certain price point, much better to think mapex, premier,sonor, yamaha, dw, even if their affordablew stuff isn't as easy to track down, and tbh the cheaper ddrum stuff is nice and thumpy if a bit undefined tonewise