Just looking for a bit of info if anyone can help.  I'm looking to pick up an SM58 (without on/off switch)

Had a look online , can get a bundle from Thomann for €111 with lead and stand (stand is poor) which is seems pretty good value.
Don't need the bundle really, just the mic.
Would there be any value to get it second hand, or best go with the bundle deal?

Cheers
Dave

Tread carefully when looking for cheap deals on the various SM models, there are a fuckload of fake Chinese knock-offs out there being advertised as the real thing. Were it me, I would go with a reputable retailer and make sure I got a real one. I've been sold fake SM57s in the past and was lucky I could invoke a Paypal refund cos the fake ones are utter shit.

Cheers for the heads up Juggz, I'm leaning that way, just said id ask first.

Quote from: Juggz on September 25, 2019, 07:31:27 PM
Tread carefully when looking for cheap deals on the various SM models, there are a fuckload of fake Chinese knock-offs out there being advertised as the real thing. Were it me, I would go with a reputable retailer and make sure I got a real one. I've been sold fake SM57s in the past and was lucky I could invoke a Paypal refund cos the fake ones are utter shit.
Used a couple of SM57 knock offs lately and they've been grand.  Well, the Thomann ones - MB75s - are deadly and only about 30 quid a pop, I have two of them.  Bandmate has a proper knock off one that actually lets on to be an SM57, we've used it as the bottom snare mic for demo jams for some time and it sounds pretty punchy.  I suppose it's just lack of quality control really so he probably got lucky on it.

Ah yeah, a lot of the Thomann own brand stuff is fine. I was talking about the cheapo Chinese stuff labelled and being sold as a real Shure, the Ali Express shit.

A 57 or 58 are always around 100eur or so in price depending on what day of the week it is. Pay that much and you'll get a decent mic from Shure.  The knock off's are generally way cheaper - but in fact many of them sound just perfect for live performance or  micing a cabinet or whatever... if its for recording id be choosing something better. 

As others have said, be careful about buying a Shure mic on the used market. They're heavily cloned and they are quite convincing looking.  In my experience, the clones DO NOT sound the same. I've A/b tested a few and even bought a couple of knock offish 57's to put in a jam room aswell as buying a cheap kick mic that unknown to me was a full on copy of the Shure PGA52. Came in a Shure box, pencil case, with all the correct case candy and had the model printed on the side. Sounds garbage.

That being said, I've bought several 58's on adverts. I bought the beat up looking ones - the real deal is built like a tank so I just put on a new grill and they're like new again. 

I bring my own around to gigs for backing vocals and I end up using it all the time. I highly recommend getting one. If you buy something more esoteric then the sound engineer have issues with it but if they can't make a 58 work they're not doing a very good job.

Cheers for the info lads.

Its just for the practice room really, but seems like grabbing a new sm58 is the way to go.