Quote from: Cryptic Stench on October 01, 2019, 05:01:41 PM
Good man. I'm saying Maiden seem to get a pass for releasing the same record over and over.

To be honest I don't think people really care about the records they release these days. It's all about the live show.which they still deliver. I don't think any bands who have over 10 albums to their name really have anything new to offer.

Quote from: Cryptic Stench on October 01, 2019, 05:01:41 PM
Good man. I'm saying Maiden seem to get a pass for releasing the same record over and over.
Only windin. Il admit, I probably do give Maiden a pass where I wouldn't with other bands but I'm not deaf. I near kicked the cd player by the time the 5th quiet intro appeared on AMOLAD.
In terms of FOTD/DOD, I would never say the two songs are the same, the two have very different atmospheres to me and the similarity wouldn't occur to me but havin thought about it, I see where you are comin from in terms of structure and loose lyrical concept (ill shit at night) but to me they dont sound the same.

Quote from: Jiblet on October 01, 2019, 02:48:09 PMDance of Death and Final Frontier are only kept from bottom spot by Fear of the Dark.

Ah jaysus, come on now. Bad as it is (and it is a poor Maiden album), it's still the best of the '90s albums, or at least the least shite. Their bottom four would be FOTD, TXF, NPFTD & V XI in that order, to put any Maiden album below Virtual XI is just madness, and No Prayer isn't much better. Fucking pub rock shite, Tailgunner aside. Dance Of Death is a step above any and all of those.

Fear of the Dark is a woeful album dispute having  several amazing tunes. No prayer, while having nothing that tops the best of FOTD, is more consistent.

Consistently poor, though. Pub fucking rock, from the band that gave us The Number Of The Beast, Powerslave and Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son.

It didn't end there, obviously. There are still traces of it on The Book Of Souls (the verses of Speed Of Light are woeful) and even Brave New World has its moments, but at least it's kept to a minimum these days.

Quote from: Carnage on October 01, 2019, 11:06:11 PM
Quote from: Jiblet on October 01, 2019, 02:48:09 PMDance of Death and Final Frontier are only kept from bottom spot by Fear of the Dark.

Ah jaysus, come on now. Bad as it is (and it is a poor Maiden album), it's still the best of the '90s albums, or at least the least shite. Their bottom four would be FOTD, TXF, NPFTD & V XI in that order, to put any Maiden album below Virtual XI is just madness, and No Prayer isn't much better. Fucking pub rock shite, Tailgunner aside. Dance Of Death is a step above any and all of those.
Not a bit, FOTD is goat, more pub rock than No Prayer, in my opinion. At least theres some metal on No Prayer, FOTD is more rock than anythin else they have done.
VXI has shit production, lifeless drummin, poor lyrics and poor vocals. However, I hear a nugget of quality in most of the songs. DOD may have a better sound and a better line up but by god it has so many moment that I cant stand, a lot of them down to Bruce's delivery. Songs like Gates of Tomorrow, New Frontier, Wildest Dreams, total filler , No More Lies must be Steves dullest long song, Journeyman was unnecessary and the worst of all, Age of Innocence, probably the worst song they have ever done. Only FOTD has anything that can compete.
I appreciate the experimentation on TFF but I just dont think it worked. Isle of Avalon and Starblind have some great sections but I just dont think they work overall.
So I stick by it. The Maiden albums I listen to least are FOTD, DOD and TFF. VXI may find itself in the bottom 3 from time to time but FOTD will never be out of it.

Quote from: Jiblet on October 02, 2019, 07:57:46 AMshit production, lifeless drummin, poor lyrics
This just about sums up the last 30 years of Maiden. The last production with any kind of pep to it was SSOASS. It's funny to hear lads bitching about Gers' guitar being turned down when not soloing, because that's how the albums are mixed. For a band with three guitars, there is fuck all rhythm guitar in any album since the 80's and the drums have sounded unfailingly lifeless and dull since then too. Harris shouldn't be allowed in the Control Room, he's a catastrophe behind the desk. Their recent success is despite his cloth ear.

I remember hearing them play Man on the Edge live on Ray Cokes' show on MTV shortly after the X Factor album came out. I had heard the album and it was fucking horrible sounding (and still is) but, unshackled by Harris turning the guitars down, the mix had loud and powerful guitars and it transformed the song into something pleasant. Everything from NPFTD on deserves a remix, there might even be a good album or two hiding in there.

QuoteBruce's delivery

Bruce doesn't really give a fuck. He has tracked the vocals for most of the Maiden albums since he's returned in about a weekend.

Virtual X was released 24 years ago today,thats about all i can contribute to this thread.

Quote from: Paul keohane on October 02, 2019, 11:38:30 AM
Virtual X was released 24 years ago today,thats about all i can contribute to this thread.

Wow I can remember my brother coming home with this on the day it was released.
I still think it's an ok album.

The X Factor, you mean. Despite the vocals clearly not being up to scratch, it's got some decent tracks on it.

#87 October 02, 2019, 01:23:51 PM Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 01:46:21 PM by Paul keohane
I was a maiden fan when i first started to get i to metal,but a band i moved on from fast as i discovered other heavy stuff,
90s Maiden  went over my head.

Quote from: Paul keohane on October 02, 2019, 01:23:51 PM
I was a maiden fan when i first started to get i to metal,but a band i moved on from fast as i discovered other heavy stuff,

Cool story bro

Quote from: Blitzer666 on October 02, 2019, 08:38:47 PM
Quote from: Paul keohane on October 02, 2019, 01:23:51 PM

Cool story bro

It is pretty cool. I also have the same story.