Magical Mushrooms

Kurt Cocaine

• Kill And Eat The Weak
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: October 05, 2019, 11:19:47 AM

astfgyl

• View Profile
Reply #31 on: October 05, 2019, 05:06:33 PM
They're just bigger than normal. I picked a fair few monsters that day. Great day's picking...

Ah I was only winding. I picked a few fucking beasts myself when I was out. Biggest I've found of any year I reckon. Wonder what is the story with that?

Also I'm still only able to find them at elevated places, still getting nothing in the lowlands. Anyone else having it like this?

Kurt Cocaine

• Kill And Eat The Weak
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: October 10, 2019, 09:16:37 PM
Went to those same local fields I was at last week this evening. I didn't get as many this week (only about 30 or so) but boy were they whoppers....

Kurt Cocaine

• Kill And Eat The Weak
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: October 10, 2019, 09:25:00 PM
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 09:27:00 PM by Kurt Cocaine »

blessed1

• View Profile
Reply #34 on: October 10, 2019, 09:54:29 PM
im in galway and im getting nothing. its still really warm i reckon.

Kurt Cocaine

• Kill And Eat The Weak
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: October 10, 2019, 10:18:14 PM
im in galway and im getting nothing. its still really warm i reckon.
It was bitterly cold here on the border yesterday evening. Today was wet and mild.
I'm keeping the mushies I'm getting in these two particular fields in their own container seperate from whatever else I pick because of the humongousness of them.
I reckon that the picking season should last another while, because, as you said it's still fairly mild.
The trees aren't really shedding their leaves yet either. That usually tickles the little feckers into life too.

Kurt Cocaine

• Kill And Eat The Weak
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: September 27, 2020, 07:08:28 PM
Went out for a quick gander today and found 15 of the little lovelies.

warhead

• View Profile
Reply #37 on: September 27, 2020, 07:29:00 PM
Anyone got any tips/links for a mushroom picking beginner?
Would be grateful.

Reply #38 on: September 27, 2020, 07:54:05 PM
Bend your knees!

astfgyl

• View Profile
Reply #39 on: September 27, 2020, 07:59:50 PM
They are out but not too plentiful yet. I got 40 or so the other week but not even 10 today. It needs to rain a good bit more and the ground a good bit softer. It's usually high season nearer to halloween anyway.

For the beginner the best thing to do is familiarise yourself with what they look like. look at as many pics online as possible, then head up to the hills. They are very distinctive looking. Grazing land is usually best as the grass is a bit shorter. They grow all over the place so don't be disheartened if you waste a few days looking before you find anything. Pissing rain and fairly cold is best conditions.

warhead

• View Profile
Reply #40 on: September 27, 2020, 10:07:34 PM
Bend your knees!

I am spending most of the time on my job ON my knees, guess simply bending them shouldn't be much of a problem.

warhead

• View Profile
Reply #41 on: September 27, 2020, 10:15:39 PM
They are out but not too plentiful yet. I got 40 or so the other week but not even 10 today. It needs to rain a good bit more and the ground a good bit softer. It's usually high season nearer to halloween anyway.

For the beginner the best thing to do is familiarise yourself with what they look like. look at as many pics online as possible, then head up to the hills. They are very distinctive looking. Grazing land is usually best as the grass is a bit shorter. They grow all over the place so don't be disheartened if you waste a few days looking before you find anything. Pissing rain and fairly cold is best conditions.

Much, much appreciated!!
Will hold on for a week or two and then head out.
Can't afford to waste a couple of days looking out for them because of working too much and stuff, but will give it a shot or two and see what the lady luck will have
for me.

Kurt Cocaine

• Kill And Eat The Weak
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: September 28, 2020, 04:54:24 AM
As astfgyl said, look out for fields that have been grazed on. I also find that thistles and rushes (juncus) are usually present in the fields that I find them in.
I'd ask people from the area if they know if there's any mushie fields about. You'd be surprised at how many people know where they are and picked them when they were younger. I'd download Google Earth onto your phone and they can show you exactly which field(s) they are on about.
This is the best way to find them I believe, because just rambling into fields takes up your time and usually you end up finding none.

Kurt Cocaine

• Kill And Eat The Weak
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: September 28, 2020, 05:57:34 AM
Also, some mushrooms will look like Liberty Caps with the wee nipple on top of the cap but the best way to test if it's a LC is press the stem. If it's 'meaty' and firm it's a LC. It it crushes and is watery, throw it away.

https://imgur.com/gallery/AvOJibT

warhead

• View Profile
Reply #44 on: September 28, 2020, 01:15:46 PM
Also, some mushrooms will look like Liberty Caps with the wee nipple on top of the cap but the best way to test if it's a LC is press the stem. If it's 'meaty' and firm it's a LC. It it crushes and is watery, throw it away.

https://imgur.com/gallery/AvOJibT

Thank you so much master teacher   :)
Guess I have enough info now.
Besides, these mushrooms look the same as "home grown", which I've used before, so there shouldn't be any further missunderstandings.