Vektor Terminal Redux and Outer Isolation definitely iconic. What a pain in the hole they couldn't stay together.

Henbane by Culte des Ghoules might count. I don't see Blood Incantation as "iconic" myself, as much as I dig their schtick. I'd set Artificial Brain's Labyrinth Constellation higher up in terms of being iconic, simply because of how far out on its own it stood compared with both its contemporaries and what preceded it. That album takes you somewhere you've never been before when you first hear it, and it captured a lot of imaginations.

As much as I like CdG, apart from the last one which was boring as fuck,  I'd be hard pushed to consider them iconic.

They certainly created a huge stir and managed to develop a whole mystique around them.

What about Grave Ekstasis then? I mean, what's more iconic than a fuckin' vadge as part of your artwork eh? Eh?

#34 September 07, 2019, 01:59:32 PM Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 07:50:41 PM by Eoin McLove
Haha,  well I have that vadge t-shirt and IO are class but again,  not sure if I'd consider them iconic like I would,  say,  DsO (despite rarely listening to them). I'm not sure what makes an iconic album actually, but I'd be confident that the criteria that make Hero iconic (unique,  bold,  divisive,  focused and coherent) should be taken into consideration. I suppose holding up over time and having an impact on the scene would help, but then,  Hero hasn't really spawned imitators.

I'm seriously tempted to put Funereal Presence 'Achatius' up for a nomination because it's so good but I'm not sure it is particularly divisive or daring- just exceptional in the field it operates within.

Deathspell Omega SMRC, a colossus of ambition and craft. So much modern BM is but a footnote to the thesis of this monster. In saying that, it's probably pushing it to call it modern now. Damn, I'm getting old!

As Black Shep said elsewhere about listening to Mastodon's Leviathan for the anniversary of its release, it's now 15 years old.

Never thought a metal forum would make the bus pass feel so close 😁

Swallowed's "Lunarterial" might be close if not for the sheer obviousness of the "Mental Funeral" influence.

I think Lunarterial brings a lot more to the table than mere Autopsy worship in fairness,  and I love that album,  but I'm not sure that it could be called iconic.  It was well received within its field and,  apart from maybe Vitriol, it hasn't had a massive influence.  Or have we decided that influence is not a criteria? Even Antediluvian,  whose recordings bend my mind and who have developed a sound that is utterly their own, I'm not sure I'd consider iconic. Maybe they both are and I'm over thinking it!

If we're going back 15 years then definitely Mastodon's Leviathan over their other work in terms of iconic. Cynic Traced in Air, another masterwork for the ages.

Blood Revolt might deserve this accolade.  There wasn't an album released, before or since,  that so unapologetically tore up the war metal rulebook yet delivered such ferocious,  energetic and memorable results.  Amazing production on it,  too- dry,  clear and ruthless.  Alan's vocals threw a spanner in the works completely and you either went with it or were repulsed by it.  Divisive,  unique,  visionary and still unmatched. 

Absolutely agreed. Best and most interesting thing any of those people have ever leant their name to by some stretch.
I was hoping there'd be a second one but actually fuck it, one perfect record is enough.

Also , it came out when Primordial's more fist pumpy festival fare was wearing a bit thin with me, Blood Revolt was THE vehicle for Alan's vox then (for me), such a grimy, urban warfare feel to that record, if it has to stand alone as a one off then what a brilliantly conceived and executed moment in time for all concerned.
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

I wonder if they could capture that magic again.  The vocals/lyrics were brilliant but the music was incredible too.  The riffs were so memorable and catchy and insanely violent.  And J Read... he's fuckin J Read! His drumming sounds like a landmine blasting through limbs.