Quote from: Pentagrimes on July 04, 2019, 01:57:07 PM

Edit: Oh wow. Yeah. He's  definitely endorsing the book anyway.  Reading it again it's a very matter of fact statement but there's definitely an air of the Tin Foil hat about it.

I mean, again, Noam Chomsky on Robert Faurisson back in the '80s; censorship is the worst response to anything, and is the only reason this is still coming up in 2019. Miller basically just repackages Chomsky's reasoning for not wanting Faurisson censored back in the day. So, to the extent that there's an "air of the tin foil hat" about Chomsky, yeah, I guess you're right.

Just because you can't read about it doesn't mean it isn't a widely held belief in Germany especially among the older types. I have no reason to think anything other than what I've been given by media and history books, and of course we need to be vigilant. It's a tough one, though I don't agree with censoring a musician for simply liking an author.

Quote from: Pentagrimes on July 04, 2019, 03:35:33 PM
Am I right in thinking he did some sort of ep with At The Gates recently too?Another band I'd not exactly associate with having tolerance for right wing/fash sympathisers. This is just plain odd.

He appeared with atg at roadburn this year

So what you're saying is, Roadburn is a Nazi rally and every single band who has ever played the fest are Nazis as well? Interesting.

Wait, are the Nazis the good guys now or the bad guys? I'm confused....?

Quote from: Eoin McLove on July 04, 2019, 10:06:08 PM
So what you're saying is, Roadburn is a Nazi rally and every single band who has ever played the fest are Nazis as well? Interesting.

Yes - boycott everything.

It's mad, there was worse released 20 years ago and nobody seemed to bat an eyelid. Malevolent Creations Eternal anyone?

Forgot about that, jesus. Didn't one of them wear a KKK T-shirt onstage, too?

#39 July 05, 2019, 10:58:50 PM Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 11:16:53 PM by Eoin McLove
There used to be a level of perspective attached when listening to extreme albums that were made by individuals with a tacit agreement that they were sometimes extreme or whacky people themselves.  That was all part of the charm and mystery.  Now metal reviewers tend to treat being (or realistically just acting) offended as a sport so it's impossible to win an Antifa medal if you decide to review a piece of art for what it actually is- a piece of art- and not a recruitment drive.

Agreed.

Think I said it in a previous thread,  extreme music is supposed to be just that, buttons are supposed to be pushed, there should be an element of danger about it. I mean you'd want to be a sad bastard with nothing else to do but find a reason to be offended by some of this stuff. You'd be binning half your collection if you were that way inclined, start by chucking out Abaddon Incarnates last supper .....

Well, now that you mention it, one of the last big blow-outs on MI involved AI almost chucking out parts of their own back catalogue...

I remember that alright. From the perspective of a listener I take a song like Vermithrax within the spirit and context of which it was written , ie by a bunch of young lads full of piss and vinegar,so I wouldn't and don't have any issue listening to it. As a 16 year old I thought the whole album was edgy lyrically speaking.

Yeah, it's also not exactly clear who the narrator is across the songs; a homophobic satanist, of any denomination, being almost a contradiction in terms. It was more that you reminded me of a trend towards "revisionism" and a denial of plural perspectives on existence which has also touched our own scene.

I think that over analysing these things is a bit pointless.  Youthful rage is the most likely reason Vermithrax was written and it seems Steve changed his perspective as he aged.  It remains a brilliant song and that youthful rage is a huge part of the fuel that drove it. From a listener's point of view I was 17 when it came out and loved the album and that song.  I always disagreed with the homophobic sentiment of the lyrics but it neither stopped me from enjoying the song nor turned me into a gay basher.  The world tends not to work that way,  generally speaking.