Anyone who witnessed them at the Alice in Chains shows would testify none of this happened.

What made this show even more special was that AIC themselves selected Belfast's very own genre-bending alt outfit Wynona Bleach (formerly R51) to join them on the Irish leg of this tour. Interviewing the band earlier in the day, the 5-piece was ecstatic about the opportunity, calling it an honour to open for one of their sonic idols. I was told on good authority that the Alice in Chains lads, despite the austere rockstar demeanours, were "absolutely lovely" – giving Wynona Bleach much needed pep talks and being quite hospitable.

At 8pm, Wynona Bleach took to the stage to the sounds of new unreleased track 'Drag' which appropriately set the pace for the evening's proceedings. "Energy" summarises Wynona Bleach. The band were going for the neck in every respect of the phrase,witnessed by 1000 people populating the Telegraph Building at the time. Excitement and enthusiasm oozed from every note coming over that PA reciprocated by a cohort of loyal fans, as well as new fans. I have seen the band on a number of occasions in the past. They propel themselves into each performance with an uncompromising drive and delivery. Their support set to Alice In Chains escalated that even further. Infectious pop hooks met ethereal Cocteau Twins-esque vocals, juxtaposed with incredibly aggressive fuzz-laden Pumpkins riffage, creatively modulated guitar leads, punchy syncopated flowing basslines, and bombastic drumming from the one man jackhammer that is Matty!

Amongst the highlights of their set included 'Eyes Burning', 'Cherrydream', the cheerfully syncopated 'Sugar' and the compelling 'Heavy Friends' which closed their set. If that wasn't enough, they even threw in a cover of Curve's 'Coast Is Clear'! A striking performance from your new favourite band.

Quote. Excitement and enthusiasm oozed from every note coming over that PA reciprocated by a cohort of loyal fans, as well as new fans

Stephen Donnolly? Metal Planet Music, I was just looking for reviews from the shows never heard of either but when I saw half the review was dedicated to Wynona Bleach I thought - Hello!

The review of AIC is painful, apparently they played Them Bones and Dam That River in Tandam, quite a feat!

QuoteTo an overture of sustained bends and signature harmonised sullen vocals, Alice In Chains eased the crowd into the atmosphere with 'Bleed The Freak'. Sharply, Jerry dropped right into that vicious groove, hurling punters in an arduous trance. Long hair whipped, fist thrown fanatically, and heads banged as die-hard legions felt the vibe hit them like a smack to the jaw. William DuVall swaggered his way around the large stage maintaining command and getting right into the crowds' faces, with Mike Inez and Sean Kinney keeping the rhythmic stomping on point with colossal intensity. A short feedback transition introduced 'Check My Brain' into the mix with its behemoth head-crushing bend. Alice In Chains were just getting started.

The 21-song set combined album tracks and fan favourites from all eras of Chains, amongst which included the almighty 'Them Bones' and 'Dam That River' played in tandem. If only they threw in 'Rain When I Die' to create a holy trifecta of Dirt, but you there's only so much time and too many bangers to deliver! In support of their latest studio album, Rainer Fog, the band included 'Never Fade' with its Kravitz-esque fanfare riff, the eponymously named track 'Rainier Fog' and the more dissonant and pounding 'The One You Know'. These tracks were very enjoyable (I'm yet to listen to the album myself), well received by their Irish fans and complemented the set's vibe, effectively perpetuating the grinding and pulsating aural assault that characterises Chains.

Other highlights of their set include quintessential staples (which require no further articulation) 'Man In The Box', 'Angry Chair', 'Stone', and the more relaxed 'Nutshell'. The band ended their set on 'Would?' and sung the happy campers on their way home with 'Rooster' with 1500 fans becoming an immense choir. If you have the opportunity to see the band on their current leg of the tour, or with Korn in the States, make it your business to do so. Thank me later.

Review & Photo by Stephen Donnelly for metalplanetmusic

Wyona Bleach were levered in by  the promoter  and nothing to do with AIC. I stayed in the pub til AIC time. Anyone I met had nothing positive to say at all about them.

File that review under 'paid content'.
Somebody in that band definitely has a daddy in the music industry.

That whole "review" reads like a press release. Especially this bit...

Infectious pop hooks met ethereal Cocteau Twins-esque vocals, juxtaposed with incredibly aggressive fuzz-laden Pumpkins riffage, creatively modulated guitar leads, punchy syncopated flowing basslines, and bombastic drumming from the one man jackhammer that is Matty!

Fuck me, that's a lot of adjectives for one sentence.

I don't know if Stephen Donnelly has ever heard the Cocteau Twins or The Smashing Pumpkins but Wynona Bleach don't sound like either. Perhaps he's deaf?

That's the only way this shite might be tolerable. 

If you're writing a piece to big up your mates band, you could at least try to not make it so blatantly obvious. Especially when the band are so clearly shit

It's funny because when he reviewed AIC it becomes obvious he doesn't really know much about them.

I know there's a certain amount of hustle when you're in a band and knowing the right person can get you things here and there but when it's at this level and all content on line paints one picture when the reality is so different is highly irritating.

I can't think of one local band worthy of the AIC support slot.

Layneless Chain is up there with Chain containing Layne. Also Degradation Trip is as good as Dirt and better than all other AIC albums. Says Cantrell.