Dunno.  It all sounded like a beige pony to me .

The world disagrees with you.  ;)

Not for the first (nor last) time.

Adrenaline is dated, terrible sounding album, went through a tumble dryer in the mastering process perhaps. Caught them 4-5 times live, always deliver. Cunningham is an exceptional drummer.

Quote from: Sugarlumps on November 28, 2018, 08:20:09 AM
Adrenaline is dated, terrible sounding album, went through a tumble dryer in the mastering process perhaps. Caught them 4-5 times live, always deliver. Cunningham is an exceptional drummer.

Adrenaline sounds like a nu-metal album. I'm not so sure it's an issue with the mastering, more that the song writing wasn't up to par. Apart from that, they have a very impressive back catalogue. Last one didn't blow me away mind, but far from a dud.

Only recently have begun to appreciate 'Diamond Eyes'. Great album altogether.

Got into them just before around the fur came out.  Adrenaline sounds so 'tinny' now but has a few decent song on it. Around the fur still great. White Pony was and is still a great album and progression. I kinda dropped off when the self titled came out as I was listening to more death metal (and had 2 stay troo!)  Honestly never really bothered checking out saturday/diamond.
Thought I'd give Koi No Yokan a shot and was blown away by it. I honestly think it's their best since white pony and still is. Not overly gone on gore at all.

Around the fur, White Pony still get regular play but Koi No Yokan just hit the nail on the head for me.

Also that last gig they played in Dublin was immense. Not seem them live in years and they knocked it out of the park with that performance. 

#22 December 05, 2018, 10:24:10 AM Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 11:01:10 PM by astfgyl
Quote from: Eoin McLove on November 28, 2018, 07:02:31 AM
Dunno.  It all sounded like a beige pony to me .

Try the self titled 4th album, it is miserable as fuck and a hard listen at first. Very little in the way of obvious hooks or catchy things and sort of atonal a lot of the time.  Worth the admission price just for Anniversary of an Uninteresting Event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8YvS4w7eo4

Also don't get the shit thrown at Adrenaline. I love it. The energy on that would come through any production.

I was at the last dublin gig. They put on an awesome live show. I never really got into them until I head Diamond Eyes and then I developed an appreciation for the back catalog. Back to School is sort of a cringey nostalgia trip.

Same as one or two others. Got into them around Adrenaline. When White Pony came out it was a bit too different initially but I've come around. Switched off em around then til that second last one, which is just unbelievable. Let down again then with Gore. Apart from Minerva, haven't really gone to the effort of exploring that middle period.

Quote from: Emphyrio on December 05, 2018, 01:18:45 PM
Same as one or two others. Got into them around Adrenaline. When White Pony came out it was a bit too different initially but I've come around. Switched off em around then til that second last one, which is just unbelievable. Let down again then with Gore. Apart from Minerva, haven't really gone to the effort of exploring that middle period.

You could do a lot worse than giving the self titled a go

Quote from: liamish on December 06, 2018, 10:49:17 AM
https://www.overdrive.ie/deftones-hint-follow-up-to-gore-will-be-released-in-2019/?fbclid=IwAR1Ym6DVcUOSchIm0noKRZ9o93dMEIoNFDPr0GTy5VFBABmNHETNRP2np84

Just saw this on FB. Its like they heard us talking about them.
Hopefully it's a step up from Gore.  I was adamant at the time that it was great but it didn't last the test of time at all.  Few good tracks but overall a weak album for them.  At the same time I don't want Diamond Eyes or Koi No Yokan ver.2.0, I think they're at their best when experimenting but would enjoy seeing more written by Carpenter if he was the missing part on Gore but prominent on those.

LMIRL and Doomed User are fantastic and 3 or 4 others are in the very good bracket but overall it is a bit Sol Invictus as in you would expect better from them

#29 December 07, 2018, 02:45:33 PM Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 04:05:55 PM by Hick
Loved them years ago but never caught them live at the time, saw youtube live videos and they sounded weak especially the vocals. But finally caught them live at Hellfest about two years ago and they blew me away, the gig in vicar street last year was unreal they sounded so good and heavy and chinos voice and energy levels were immense, like everyone here said Gore was a disappointment after Koi No Yokan but look forward to what they have to offer on the new one in 2019.