How to deal with controversial threads going forward?

Keep everything as it is
22 (78.6%)
Heavier moderation
3 (10.7%)
A new area for political topics
1 (3.6%)
Total ban on political topics
2 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Leave as is. There's a healthy level of discussion on here I find. And as to politics on a music forum.. It's called the off topic section.

#31 September 27, 2026, 04:54:38 PM Last Edit: September 27, 2026, 07:23:13 PM by Black Shepherd Carnage
I'm deducing that since he hasn't posted in a month and a half, since the very day of his last run in with Kurt Cocaine, that we've probably lost Burgermeister/Juggz. Off-topic was also the cause of hellfire, Kev, and probably several others leaving too. The problem is a general one of difficulty of engaging in good faith discussion. This comes to a head regarding metal every so often, where people take opinion for fact and get thick-headed about it, or can't take as strong as they give, but it's about 100 times more likely regarding anything political.

It's great having an off-topic for non-metal music and other "purely" cultural interests (movies, books, sport, telly) but at this stage I'd cast my ballot for having the forum a politics free zone, and even lock the existing politics threads, as it's not worth losing more members over... especially since, as I know well from my own experience, political views and taste in metal don't necessarily overlap at all at all.

#32 September 27, 2026, 09:53:39 PM Last Edit: September 28, 2026, 06:52:55 AM by Barnacle Billy
We can bé assured with 100% accuracy that Kurt C. wasn't the reason that Kev has absconded...

I personally would totally ban politics but the poll is showing a vast majority wanting to keep things as they are. There's 0 votes for a total ban so it's clearly not a popular idea.

Another problem is deciding where to draw the line. Any topic about current events can easily turn political. The covid thread started off as a thread about a disease and now look at the state of it. Movies and music can easily go the same way depending on who is involved in them. There's also the personal responsibility of everyone to know when to disengage from a thread.

I'm aware KC is a controversial poster and a troll at times but it's hard to judge what is "too much". People also need to stop taking the bait and feeding the troll. And then I end up looking like another "middle grounder" who enables the entire mess...

#34 September 28, 2026, 07:36:02 PM Last Edit: September 28, 2026, 07:37:41 PM by Black Shepherd Carnage
Quote from: Barnacle Billy on September 27, 2026, 09:53:39 PMWe can bé assured with 100% accuracy that Kurt C. wasn't the reason that Kev has absconded...

Kev absconded because he wanted to have his cake (dismissing sources I used, such as Channel 4, out of hand as "extreme" when they disagreed with his opinion) and eat it (argue that his sources were reliable even when the source was a youtuber who openly worshipped the SS and quoted literal original theorists of fascism). Similarly, hellfire absconded because he became convinced, by an Israeli he worked with, that Israel were doing nothing wrong and therefore he couldn't bear the avalanche of available evidence clearly showing that what he wanted to be true (that Israel were conducting a humane war against "human animals") was not.

My point in mentioning Kev and hellfire, knowing full well that me arguing against their political opinions was operative in them leaving, is that - outside of politics - they were both people I could easily have great discussions with about metal. Which is what this place, and MI before it, were originally for.

I hadn't voted at all yet, so that'll make one for limiting off-topic to, broadly, art and sport.

I thought Kev said he moved to Russia, figured that's why he stopped posting, joining in the good fight and all that

Ah, you're right, the last exchange was over Russia. And, ominously, this was his last post:

Quote from: Caomhaoin on March 04, 2025, 11:04:22 PMI called my ex-wife a spastic in 2022. Up in court in June for gender violence. Watch out in the Spanish papers. I wish I was joking.

 :-X

Might be a good time to remind people out there that should you find a particular poster's views abhorrent to the point where they impare your will to post on here, we do have an extremely handy "ignore" option.Very handy for obvious trolls in particular.

Quote from: Pentagrimes on Today at 11:33:47 AMMight be a good time to remind people out there that should you find a particular poster's views abhorrent to the point where they impare your will to post on here, we do have an extremely handy "ignore" option.Very handy for obvious trolls in particular.

Where is the ignore function?   I have never been able to find it.... (Thorn costs me too much money  :laugh: )

 :laugh:

You've to go to your own profile and there's an Ignore List you can add users to. It's not much as a feature (though better than nothing): the user's posts are still there but just read "You are choosing to ignore this user" with an option to click to see the individual post anyway.

Alas, poor Thorn I knew him so well  :laugh:


(am 100% joking).   

 :laugh:
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on Today at 02:27:45 PMYou've to go to your own profile and there's an Ignore List you can add users to. It's not much as a feature (though better than nothing): the user's posts are still there but just read "You are choosing to ignore this user" with an option to click to see the individual post anyway.

Thank you. You have just improved this board for me no end.

I had improved my own mere moments before   :laugh:

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on September 27, 2026, 04:54:38 PMI'm deducing that since he hasn't posted in a month and a half, since the very day of his last run in with Kurt Cocaine, that we've probably lost Burgermeister/Juggz. Off-topic was also the cause of hellfire, Kev, and probably several others leaving too. The problem is a general one of difficulty of engaging in good faith discussion. This comes to a head regarding metal every so often, where people take opinion for fact and get thick-headed about it, or can't take as strong as they give, but it's about 100 times more likely regarding anything political.

It's great having an off-topic for non-metal music and other "purely" cultural interests (movies, books, sport, telly) but at this stage I'd cast my ballot for having the forum a politics free zone, and even lock the existing politics threads, as it's not worth losing more members over... especially since, as I know well from my own experience, political views and taste in metal don't necessarily overlap at all at all.

I like Juggz on here but the point deserves to be made that if K.C. left over something that Juggz said, you wouldn't be making this point at all, which somewhat invalidates it.

Look at all the arguing meself and yourself did over the covid thread and it didn't make either of us throw in the towel and didn't leave me having anything against you, and I haven't gotten the impression that you've anything against me either.

I stay away from a lot of the politics on here nowadays myself but that's just because I've lost the heart for it the last year or two, and not because I've a minority opinion. I reckon the threads should stand in the off topic but what does drive me wrong is when it spills over into other boards and threads and I'd be very much in favour of hard moderation on that point alone, even if it's something I agree with.

I hope lads don't leave over disagreeing with other lads and we are all big enough boys and girls to understand that things look worse written down than they would sound in a real world conversation, with maybe a tongue in cheek element to them.

I'd have a pint with pretty much anyone on the forum here and chat about tunes and that's what the place is here for at the end of the day.

Peace and love