Quote from: Pentagrimes on September 27, 2024, 07:39:25 PMHave listened to this a lot today and will certainly be picking up the LP immediately. Just done with the video. Can't say I understood it, and a couple of bits were perhaps unintentionally goofy, but yeah, the worldbuilding here is serious business.

I've been listening to and absorbed in underground metal for 4 decades and honestly, the only death metal band I can think of who've attempted to fulfill as distinct a vision at this kind of scale is Vincent era Morbid Angel, particularly around BTS and Covenant.

The medieval peasant look does suit Riedl 😂

Watched the vid. A few thoughts...

Firstly, the song is really fucking good. Much more engaging than I expected it to be with all of the prog elements. The reggae part is terrible but it develops nicely from there. It is great to see a band who is gaining in popularity who continue to become more and more challenging with each release rather than simplifying their formula to make it more stage ready. I wonder how they'll pull it all off live but I imagine they'll have to lean heavily into the visual side of things.

The video is also impressive. It looks great and must have cost them a bomb to make. It gives me a sense of hope for young bands if labels are willing to splash out a little bit for them- presuming that's the case. Imagine having seen that full video on Headbangers Ball in the 90s! Straight to fucking Sound Cellar!!

Which leads me to the shit album artwork. They have been consistently bad on the album cover front and the new one is no exception. As a fickle and broke teen it might have been enough to turn me off buying the damn thing. But sure...

Three final observations before I make myself another cup of tea.

One. Huge Morbid Angel influence in
that final section.

Two. The production sounds great even through the phone so I'll have to buy it and put it through the stereo. Sounds like they've thrown the kitchen sink at it.

Three. Paul Reidl looks like that picture of Tom G Warrior with his beanie off.

8)

Just watched it myself. Astounding stuff all round (bar yer man's 'tache), that album's an instant must-buy.

Can't really add anything to what you've said above except to say that I missed out on the reggae part, thankfully. I must have been too engrossed in what I was seeing to notice.

A really stunning exercise in every aspect.

The first transition from death metal to quiet is a reggae sounding bit that then morphs into to prog.

I'll give it another listen, didn't pick up on it at all.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on September 28, 2024, 01:43:57 AMThre

The production sounds great even through the phone so I'll have to buy it and put it through the stereo. Sounds like they've thrown the kitchen sink at it.

8)

Arthur Rizk is pretty the best lad going behind the desk nowadays. Plus doing it at Hansa Studios in Berlin definitely helped it sonically.

There was a certain dub influence/flavour to some of the kosmische musik krautrock, so I guess that explains why some might hear a nod to "reggae" where others (me included) just heard an homage to krautrock.

It'll be interesting now over the next year to see if the BI wannabe bands start adding ambient/kraut/prog influences, it's not a thing that's easily done.

I'd say Cryptic Shift are scouring Ebay for "vintage synths" as we speak

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on September 28, 2024, 08:46:29 AMThere was a certain dub influence/flavour to some of the kosmische musik krautrock, so I guess that explains why some might hear a nod to "reggae" where others (me included) just heard an homage to krautrock.

Yeah thought this bit was a nod to "Dizzy Dizzy" by Can more than anything.

Quote from: Pentagrimes on September 28, 2024, 10:04:27 AMBI wannabe bands

Cryptic Shift

I don't see Cryptic Shift as a BI wannabe band at all. There was a lot of progression in between, but on their Beyond the Celestial Realms EP (released 2016, same year as Starspawn, only one year after Interdimensional Extinction), they were already definitely on the path that culminated in the first album. I mean, sure, BI appear in the Thanks to Visitations, but hey who doesn't!?  :)

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on September 28, 2024, 08:46:29 AMThere was a certain dub influence/flavour to some of the kosmische musik krautrock, so I guess that explains why some might hear a nod to "reggae" where others (me included) just heard an homage to krautrock.

Yeah, there's
Quote from: Pentagrimes on September 28, 2024, 10:04:27 AMIt'll be interesting now over the next year to see if the BI wannabe bands start adding ambient/kraut/prog influences, it's not a thing that's easily done.

I'd say Cryptic Shift are scouring Ebay for "vintage synths" as we speak

Waiting for the deathcore bands to start using Moogs during breakdowns😂

I'd really like to see the documentary. Hoping it's available somewhere outside of that dvd/lp package at some stage,I don't have a dvd player.