BE BOP DELUXE - Sunburst Finish (1976)

Bill Nelson is criminally underrated as a guitarist.

Quote from: Mooncat on June 03, 2024, 09:32:57 PMAlso a little bit of early Simple Minds with New Gold Dream.

Every Simple Minds record up to and including "New Gold Dream" is a classic. After that it's a small handful of decent singles on very boring albums.

One of the biggest misfires of my gig-going life is deciding not to go and see them on the 2012 "5X5" tour in the Olympia.

Boards of Canada - Trans Canada Highway

Is this BOC's greatest release? Probably not. Just one of several BOC releases which, while listening to them, you can't help thinking, "Surely this is the greatest thing ever released!" A genuinely peerless act.

SWEET - Sweet Fanny Adams (1974)

#319 June 04, 2024, 10:31:58 PM Last Edit: June 05, 2024, 03:37:11 AM by Mooncat
Here Come the Warm Jets - Brian Eno. On first listen it seemed interesting, but I wasn't blown away. Can really hear a lot of the tricks and sounds he used in his David Bowie albums, particularly Low. Will have to give it a few more listens to digest it more. Have only known Eno as a collaborator so far, this was my first dip into his own work.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on June 04, 2024, 12:39:29 PMBoards of Canada - Trans Canada Highway

Is this BOC's greatest release? Probably not. Just one of several BOC releases which, while listening to them, you can't help thinking, "Surely this is the greatest thing ever released!" A genuinely peerless act.

Unreal duo
Hard to pick a favourite
They are such a brilliant EP band, as well as LP
How they can marry haunting with beauty; eerie with comforting is something else

Maybe I'm just a bit schizo ??!!

Talk Talk: Spirit Of Eden

This is a complete revelation, nothing like the poppier stuff they're known for. 'Post rock' before there was such a thing, with a bit of jazz and Peter Gabriel thrown in. Amazing stuff.

#322 June 07, 2024, 09:55:51 AM Last Edit: June 07, 2024, 10:04:45 AM by 101_North
Quote from: Carnage on June 07, 2024, 01:24:31 AMTalk Talk: Spirit Of Eden

This is a complete revelation, nothing like the poppier stuff they're known for. 'Post rock' before there was such a thing, with a bit of jazz and Peter Gabriel thrown in. Amazing stuff.

Stunning album! Love all their stuff but it's between this and Laughing Stock as their best album. New Grass on Laughing Stock is an incredible track. The Mark Hollis solo album from 1998 is also well worth a listen.

Both are on my list, I had no idea they had so much depth to their sound. All I'd heard were a few poppy singles, miles away from this stuff.

Had both Spirit of Eden and the Hollis solo album lately. Great stuff.

Quote from: Carnage on June 07, 2024, 01:24:31 AMTalk Talk: Spirit Of Eden

Yep it's brilliant. Haven't had it on in ages either must rectify that

Cryo Chamber: Monorail livestream

Quote from: The Wretch on June 03, 2024, 10:41:11 PMBE BOP DELUXE - Sunburst Finish (1976)

Bill Nelson is criminally underrated as a guitarist.

This is absolutely fucking lethal!

I never heard of them before. It's like Queen, Big Star and Badfinger mixed together.

Excellent recommendation!

#329 June 08, 2024, 07:34:09 PM Last Edit: June 08, 2024, 07:36:53 PM by 101_North
Warrington-Runcorn New Town Development Plan - Your Community Hub

Only discovered this yesterday but absolutely loving it! 

Basically a one man electronic, synth project and the album is inspired by the community centres in Warrington and Runcorn! Sounds bizarre but it's fantastic! A bit like Tangerine Dream and Mike Oldfield doing town planning 🥴

https://youtu.be/PMhN3pWyBR0