THE GODS - Genesis (1968)

Pre-Uriah Heep prog/psych rock band, featuring Ken Hensley and Lee Kerslake, and future Jethro Tull bassist John Glascock.

Manic Street Preachers - "Journal For Plague Lovers" - sits behind only "The Holy Bible" with "Everything Must Go" in my top 3.
Jawbreaker - "Dear You"
The Night Marchers - "See You In Magic"

Quote from: Caomhaoin on May 21, 2024, 06:23:19 PM
Quote from: open face surgery on May 16, 2024, 09:41:38 PMNew Beth Gibbons album out tomorrow. 3 tracks on Spotify and they are amazing. Excited for it now.

Yeah heard one of them, 'floating...', sounds class.

Looking forward to hearing this, the one she did with Rustin Man 15-20 years ago was decent.

Joy Division: The Factory, Manchester - Live 13 July 1979

EPMD: Strictly Business/Unfinished Business

Green Day - "Dookie"
Weezer - "Blue Album"

Both released 30 years ago this year. Both are a time machine for me.

Whatever both of these bands became later - these two records are crystalline pop-punk belters. Hooks and melodies for miles, sense of humour and great production. 

Oddly/coincidentally - both bands released darker, commercially less successful albums next ("Insomnia" & "Pinkerton") which are every bit as good, if not better than their predecessor. 

Never saw the appeal of Green Day but Weezer are decent, even if I blow hot and cold with them. Sometimes they really hut the mark but other times they irritate me. The first few are gold though, and the deluxe versions are worth picking up.

Both Joy Division albums. I'd always been more inclined towards Unknown Pleasures, but after talking about Closer on here a week or two back I've been giving it a much more thorough listen and now think I probably prefer it. You can really see the seeds of that New Order would become, but with all of that Joy Division darkness. Amazing album.

I was the same with JD. I dunno which I prefer at this stage. Both unbelievable albums.

It's Closer for me too, always has been. Just that bit darker, more polished, less punky. Playing through their discography in order there's a big leap in style and quality even inbetween the two albums - just listen to Atmosphere and it's a perfect precursor to Closer.

Quote from: StoutAndAle on May 28, 2024, 09:08:50 AMGreen Day - "Dookie"
Weezer - "Blue Album"

Both released 30 years ago this year. Both are a time machine for me.

Whatever both of these bands became later - these two records are crystalline pop-punk belters. Hooks and melodies for miles, sense of humour and great production. 

Oddly/coincidentally - both bands released darker, commercially less successful albums next ("Insomnia" & "Pinkerton") which are every bit as good, if not better than their predecessor. 

Weezer & Pinkerton are excellent. The Debut will always be my go to for them.

Insomniac is Green Days best still to this day (with the Lookout records ones a close second)before they jumped the shark and became boring as fuck.

#296 May 29, 2024, 08:40:02 AM Last Edit: May 29, 2024, 08:45:37 AM by Pentagrimes
On a Les Savy Fav binge the last few days, good sunny weather music. The show in Whelans there the other night was fucking wild.

Need to dig into the Beth Gibbons album today

Beak> - >>>>

More krauty excellence from Mr Barrow and co. That's new albums from 2/3 of Portishead in 2 weeks. Makes a new Portishead album even less likely.

Dookie is a ripper. I got it and Smash on tape for Christmas 94 so both have huge nostalgic value for me as well as just being great albums in their own right. That's as far as I went with both bands but I would happily listen to either these days. They remind me of being in 1st year.

#299 May 29, 2024, 11:38:04 AM Last Edit: May 29, 2024, 11:40:31 AM by StoutAndAle
Quote from: Sworntothecans on May 29, 2024, 08:05:21 AMWeezer & Pinkerton are excellent. The Debut will always be my go to for them.

Insomniac is Green Days best still to this day (with the Lookout records ones a close second)before they jumped the shark and became boring as fuck.

I read a book some years back by Andy Greenwald in which it was stated that, upon a playback of "Pinkerton", the executives at Geffen lost their minds with Cuomo saying that they couldn't hear one single on the record. I would argue that, with the exception of "Butterfly", EVERY song is a radio friendly unit shifter on the album.

I highly-rate everything that Green Day put out up to "Insomniac" which is probably my favourite record of theirs. I like most of "Nimrod" ("Good Riddance" can get fucked though) and parts of "Warning". After that. Nah.

I remember a friend of mine had family living in the US. His cousin gave him "Kerplunk" when they went to visit San Francisco. He got a Screeching Weasel record and "Milk Milk Lemonade" by The Mr. T Experience from her too. This must have been in 1993/1994 and it was the anathema of Nirvana/Pearl Jam and the other stuff that we had on. It just bounced - tracks like "One Of My Lies" and "2000 Light Years Away" (plus sniggering like Richie & Eddie at "Dominated Love Slave").

My mate wasn't much for it so he gave me the CDs. They were the first CDs I owned. I definitely didn't have a CD player so I still had to listen to the taped copies that he'd already dubbed for me. :laugh:

"Dookie" came out and I bought it almost immediately (again, on tape) after seeing the "Longview" video. It was the first record that I could play guitar along with start to finish. I tried to do it recently - nearly gave myself CPT and a fucking heart attack.

I sent away for "1039/Smoothed..." and Screeching Weasel's "Wiggle" via a Lookout! Records insert in one of the other CDs.

I sent Lookout! cash in the post - partly thinking that I'd never see anything from them - and for months, I didn't - until one day I got a package {Alan Partridge voice} from America. 2 CDs (still had nothing to play them on), some stickers and a note saying "Next time send a postal order."  :laugh:

I get a fair bit of slagging for liking Green Day but I really don't give a fuck - like I said - those albums are a time machine for me.

That aforementioned friend of mine is dead now but every time I hear "Welcome To Paradise" I can flash to sitting on his back garden steps gorging myself on the US sugar bombs that he had brought home from the States like Big League Chew and Sweet Tarts, wishing that we were in California or New York or anywhere but Cork, talking shit about fuck all and listening to Green Day on his brother's Philips 3-in-1 deck.